Skip to content
Did you know your browser is out of date?
To get the best experience when using our website we recommend that you upgrade to the latest version of one of these browsers.

Three Bedroom Home Insurance

Compare home insurance for a three-bedroom house

Compare cheap home insurance quotes

Compare cheap contents insurance from over 55 providers

We’re committed to finding the right cover for you and your home. 

That’s why we compare over 55 of the biggest insurance providers in the country, including:

company logo for Tesco bankcompany logo for Admiralcompany logo for policy expertcompany logo for halifaxcompany logo for churchillcompany logo for Privilegecompany logo for lv


151% of consumers could save up to £114.16 a year on buildings and contents insurance. Consumer Intelligence, October 2021.

Do I need buildings insurance for a three-bedroom house or flat?

Home insurance is important if you want to protect your home and your possessions from natural disasters, mishaps and theft. And if you have a mortgage, your lender will almost certainly insist that you take out a home insurance policy.

Two main types of three-bedroom home insurance are available: buildings insurance, which protects the structure of your property, and contents insurance, which protects fixtures, fittings and your possessions. These are often sold as a single policy known as combined home insurance, but you can take either one out separately..

Does having three bedrooms affect my contents insurance?

Contents insurance protects the possessions you have in your three-bedroom home and includes any items that you would take with you if you moved home. It is likely that the more bedrooms you have, the more items you have to insure.

house illustration

What type of policies are available

There are three options when it comes to protecting your belongings:

  • settings icon

    Sum-insured policy

    You decide how much cover you need for your contents buy calculating the replacement value of your contents

  • clock icon

    Unlimited sum-insured policy

    You don’t have to worry about being underinsured because cover is unlimited but the premiums are likely to be high

  • document icon

    Bedroom-rated policy

    This is where the insurance provider works out the contents cover based on the number of bedrooms you have, based on average figures

Remember, it’s not just the number of bedrooms that can affect the cost of home insurance. Where you live, your previous claims history and how secure your home is will also affect your premium – as will any policy add-ons like legal cover.

What do I need to get a quote?

To get a three-bedroom home insurance quote with us, it’s a good idea to have some basic information to hand, including:

  • Your current home insurance policy documents

  • Details about your property

  • Your homes rebuild value

  • Level of cover you need

Why compare home insurance quotes with MoneySuperMarket?

We’re here to help you protect the things that matter most

  • Results

    It doesn’t take long

    Pop in some details about your home and your belongings, and compare quotes in just a few minutes
  • Savings icon

    We do the leg work

    We’ll search the market for the cheapest deals, and help you choose the cover that suits your needs
  • Guaranteed cards

    Get the right cover

    We’ll show you claims experience for policies, to help you choose the right home insurance policy for you

Insurers count bedrooms as any room used as, or originally built to be a bedroom – even if it's used for other purposes. So, if you had two bedrooms and turned one into an office, it would still count as a two-bedroom house, not a one-bed.

Bedrooms are usually identified by being able to fit a single bed and having a window, but there’s no legal requirement for this. It’s down to the individual insurance provider to say what they consider a bedroom to be.

You’ll need to check exactly what your insurance provider defines as a bedroom in your policy. Make sure you give the right information, otherwise your policy might not pay out if you need to make a claim.

It's vital that you give an accurate estimate of the value of your possessions for your contents insurance. If you underestimate, your possessions may not all be covered when you make a claim. If you overestimate, you’ll be paying higher premiums than you need to.

This may sound hard, but there are ways to make it work. Go through each room in the house and note down what's in it. Then use a mix of receipts for purchases or online prices to come up with an approximate figure of what the total contents would cost to replace.

Insurers will usually specify an upper limit on the value for single items, which is generally set at £1,500. You don’t need to list any items that are worth less than this, but items that you think are worth more, such as art or jewellery, will need to be specifically mentioned.

Additional types of cover are also available if you need them, including: 

  • Personal possessions cover: Covers your belongings when you bring them with you away from home. For example, if you lose your laptop or phone while you were out you could claim on your household contents cover

  • Accidental damage: This pays to repair or replace possessions damaged by accident – for instance if you or a guest knock them over

When looking for buildings and/or contents insurance for your three-bedroom home, it's important to realise that all policies are different. Varying degrees of cover will be offered, so it’s important to shop around to get the best deal for you.

While it can be tempting to go for the cheapest policy, be aware that this could be a false economy and you may end up having to shell out if you don't have comprehensive cover.

Here are some top tips for making sure you get the best deal.

  • Opting for a higher excess can bring down the cost of your premium. Just make sure this is sensible and that you would be able to afford it if you had to put in a claim

  • Make sure your home is properly secured with a burglar alarm and approved locks. It can also help if you join a neighbourhood watch scheme

  • Paying for your insurance annually rather than monthly will be cheaper. It also means you get it out of the way for the year

  • Build up a no-claims discount. Insurers usually reward people who have not made any claims in the past with a cheaper policy premium 


You work hard to earn your money, and we don’t think you should waste a penny of it paying over the odds on your household bills. That’s why at MoneySuperMarket, we’re on a mission to save Britain money.

  • Whip your credit score into shape with Credit Monitor
  • Super save over and over again with Energy Monitor
  • There are always more ways to save with MoneySuperMarket 

So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy something, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from.

You might be wondering if we work with all the companies in the market, or if our commercial relationships with our partners might make us feature one company above another. We’ve got nothing to hide, and we want to give you clear answers when it comes to questions like these, so we’ve pulled together everything you need to know on this page.


We aim to show you home insurance quotes from as many insurance companies as possible, so that you can find the right policy for you.

Unfortunately, we can’t promise to show quotes from every insurance provider, because not all companies want to be included on comparison websites.

We won’t offer you advice or make a recommendation, but we will provide you with all the information you need to help you decide which is the right policy for you.

You can find out more about how we work here.