Skip to content

Burst pipe and water leak insurance

Home insurance for a burst pipe and water damage

Article author's profile picture
Written by  David McDermottroe
8 min read
Updated: 01 Feb 2024

A burst water pipe or leak can leave an expensive mess to clear up – here’s how home insurance can protect you and your wallet

Does my home insurance cover burst water pipes?

When it comes to home ownership, few things are as disruptive and potentially costly as water damage. Whether it's a burst pipe in the dead of winter or an unexpected leak under the sink, the consequences can be significant. But will your home insurance policy come to the rescue? Let's dive into the details of what's typically covered and how you can ensure you're adequately protected.

Burst pipe

Understanding standard home Insurance coverage

Most home insurance policies cover burst water pipes as standard. This means that if you wake up to a waterlogged living room due to a burst pipe, you can generally expect your insurance to step in and cover the damages. However, there are caveats to this coverage. If your insurer believes the damage was your fault, you may have to pay out. For example, if you ignored a slowly leaking pipe and allowed the problem to get worse, or you overfilled a bathtub, you might not be covered.

The benefits of accidental damage cover

It’s a good idea to consider adding accidental damage cover as part of your home insurance policy. Accidents happen, and having this extra layer of protection can be a lifesaver. This type of cover is designed to protect you even if the damage was your fault. Remember, every policy is different, so it's crucial to check the small print of your home insurance policy to understand exactly what's covered.

Making a claim: Steps to take for water damage

If you're faced with a burst pipe or water leak, time is of the essence. Here's what you need to do:

  1. Act quickly to mitigate the damage. Turn off the water supply, drain the system, and if necessary, turn off the electricity.

  2. Move your belongings to prevent further damage.

  3. Contact your insurer using their 24-hour helpline to report the incident and start the claim process.

  4. Arrange repairs promptly: Get the leak fixed by a reputable tradesman as soon as you can to prevent secondary damage. If your policy includes home emergency cover, it might cover urgent repairs. Always confirm any repair work with your insurance provider beforehand.

  5. Take photos of the leak and damage as evidence for your claim.

  6. If the source of the leak is unclear, you may need to book a trace and access service. This might be covered if included in your policy.

  7. The insurer may send a loss adjuster to assess the claim and determine coverage.

  8. Prepare a contents claim for any damaged possessions, ensuring your contents cover is sufficient to replace valuable items.

Preventing burst pipes and leaks

Prevention is always better than cure. Here are some tips to help you avoid the hassle of burst pipes and leaks:

  • Keep your home heated during cold spells, even if you're away.

  • Turn off stopcocks and drain pipes before freezing weather hits.

  • Invest in lagging or pipe insulation to protect against the cold.

  • Don't leave appliances running unattended, and ensure they're properly installed by experienced plumbers.

  • Consider installing a leak-detection device to alert you to any issues.

Ensuring adequate home insurance coverage

To sleep soundly knowing you're well-protected against water damage, make sure your home insurance is up to scratch:

The importance of comparing home insurance

With the potential costs of water damage being so high, it's crucial to have the right home insurance in place. This is why it’s always important to compare home insurance quotes – it’s a quick and easy way to find a better deal. Don't just settle for the cheapest policy; make sure it provides all the coverage you need.

Water damage can be a nightmare for any homeowner, but with the right precautions and the proper insurance coverage, you can navigate these choppy waters with confidence. Remember to act swiftly in the event of a burst pipe or leak, and always keep an eye on the condition of your home's plumbing. By being proactive and informed, you can protect your home and your peace of mind.

Compare home insurance quotes
Get a new quote