Skip to content

Compare Landlord Insurance

Find cheaper landlord cover for your property

  • Quotes from just £25 per month¹

  • Tailor coverage to your specific property needs

  • Compare quotes from leading UK insurers

feefo logo
Overall customers rate us
4.9 out of 5240,545 reviews
Image of a house in purple hues

Find our best deals & save money by comparing with 14 trusted UK providers2

company logo for Churchill
company logo for modus
company logo for covea
company logo for das
company logo for RSA
company logo for axa
company logo for chiswell-110

151% of customers paid up to £25.3 a month direct debit for a standard buildings cover policy when paying monthly, between October and December 2023.

2Correct as of February 2024

What is landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance, also known as buy-to-let insurance, is a specialised type of home insurance designed to protect landlords who rent out their properties to tenants

It protects against potential risks associated with letting a property, including property damage, liability, and loss of rental income.

With landlord insurance, owners can ensure they have the necessary financial support to manage claims and make repairs promptly, minimising any delays in restoring the property to its proper condition.

Find out more about landlord insurance

Do I need it?

Landlord insurance isn’t required by law, but it’s strongly recommended for anyone who has a rental property or a portfolio of properties to protect against financial losses and liabilities associated with renting out a property.

Standard home insurance won't cover a property that's rented out, and if you’re taking out a  buy-to-let mortgage, your lender might require you to have landlord insurance to qualify for the loan.

For more guidance read do I need landlord insurance?

What does landlord insurance cover

Your cover will vary depending on your choice of policy and provider however common inclusions and exclusions typically cover:

  • Tick


    • Disasters: such as storms, fires, and floods

    • Deliberate vandalism: by vandals or burglars, or in a riot 

    • Burst pipes and boiler trouble: including escaped water or boiler breakdowns

    • Other issues: e.g. locks being replaced, lost keys, and alternative accommodation

  • Cross

    Not covered

    • General wear and tear: such as worn carpets

    • Deliberate damage by tenants: e.g. graffiti or damage to fixtures

    • Your tenants’ possessions: like laptops or phones

    • Any damage caused by pets: including scratch marks

Types of landlord insurance

When comparing landlord insurance with MoneySuperMarket you can choose two main types of cover:

  • Plus

    Buildings insurance

    Buildings insurance will cover the structure of your property if the building is damaged by fire, flood, or vandalism

  • Plus

    Contents insurance

    Contents insurance will cover any belongings that are kept on the property such as furniture or white goods

What policy extras can I include on my policy?

As well as buildings and contents cover, you can include range of extra protection that to your policy:

  • Plus

    Accidental damage cover: such as broken windows or stained carpets

  • Plus

    Tenant default insurance: provides cover if tenants don't keep up with payments

  • Plus

    Property owner's liability: if a third party suffers injury or damage on your property and seeks compensation

  • Plus

    Home emergency coverincludes call-outs for issues such as burst pipes or broken electrics

  • Plus

    Legal expenses cover: including rent recovery and tax affairs

  • Plus

    Unoccupied property cover: can cover unoccupied properties for up to 60 days

  • Plus

    Rental income protection: provides cover if damage to your property prevents you from renting it out

  • Plus

    Commercial buildings: your insurer can provide tailored commercial buildings cover

What kind of properties can be insured with landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance covers a range of different types of properties including:

  • Residential property

    If you rent one property or a whole portfolio, you’ll need more than just home insurance

  • Commercial property

    Whether you rent out offices, shops or warehouses, we’ve got you covered

  • Multi-property

    Multi-property ensures landlords can have one policy for each property in their portfolio

Sam Meadows

Our expert says


If you’re renting out a property, then it’s inevitable that something will get damaged. Your tenants are living their lives in your property, and so even the most reliable will end up scratching some paintwork, or leaving a few dents or scrapes. If you have full landlord insurance then you will be covered, giving you peace of mind. You could even be covered for things like loss of rental income.

- Sam Meadows, Home Insurance Expert

How much is landlord insurance?

At MoneySuperMarket, landlord insurance starts at just £253 per month. However, the cost of your policy will depend on various factors, such as:

  • Plus

    Your property

    Insurers take into account how old your property is, how many rooms it has, how its roof is structured, and more to judge what kind of risk it presents

  • Plus

    Your location

    If you’re in an area with high crime rates or a greater likelihood of flooding, you’ll usually pay more for cover

  • Plus

    Your tenants

    If you’re letting your property out to students, you may have to pay more for cover as insurers are likely to consider these tenants as a higher risk

  • Plus

    Your policy

    A combined buildings and contents policy may be cheaper overall than buying them separately, but it’s good to compare your options to be sure

  • Plus

    How you pay

    You might find that paying your premiums as an annual lump sum works out cheaper than spreading the cost over monthly instalments

  • Plus

    Claims history

    A history of previous claims on your landlord insurance policy will make you a higher risk, so insurers will likely charge more in premiums

How to get cheaper landlord insurance

There are a few steps that you can take prior to apply for a policy that can help you save some money.

  • 1

    Compare policies

    Comparing quotes is one of the first ways you can save money on your policy. There is a lot of choice out there when it comes to providers, so make sure you get a good view of your options

  • 2

    Increase your excess

    Increasing your voluntary excess will reduce the cost of your landlord insurance policy. However, you should avoid increasing your excess to a point that it becomes unaffordable

  • 3

    Calculate rebuild costs

    Rebuild cost isn't the same as market value. By calculating how much it would cost to rebuild your property, you can avoid over-insuring yourself and get better value for your cover

  • 4

    Invest in security

    Providers may reduce the cost of your policy if you are taking proper steps to secure your property. This includes installing burglar alarms, CCTV, and upgrading the locks on doors and windows

What do I need to get a quote

  • Tick

    Your property details

    Including the address, date of purchase, when it was built, and if it's commercial or residential

  • Tick

    Basic Tenant Information

    Such as their employment status or any background checks you may have carried out on them

  • Tick

    Details about the level of cover you need

    Select your level of cover as well as any optional extra cover, such as contents insurance

  • Tick

    Your current insurance policy documents

    Basic details of your existing policy, including any previous claims history

Compare landlord insurance quotes with MoneySuperMarket

Comparing landlord insurance quotes with MoneySuperMarket is the easiest way to find affordable cover tailored to suit you. Here's how it works:

  • Provide us with details

    Pop in details like your address, property type, and any extra policies you want and you’ll get a landlord insurance quote

  • We’ll show you our best quotes

    You’ll be able to see and compare the policies on offer from our preferred landlord insurance providers

  • Complete with your chosen provider

    Once you’ve chosen your policy and received a quote, you can call or apply directly online with the provider to get covered

A standard home insurance policy might not cover you if you rent your property out to tenants and you aren’t living there. This is because tenants present a different, and usually greater, risk to the property – and therefore to the insurer:

  • Tenants aren’t invested in the property, so they may not care as much about its condition

  • They may not notice certain maintenance issues that could grow if left unattended

  • They may cause malicious or accidental damage to the property

  • They may hold you, the landlord, liable if they get hurt in the property 

Landlord insurance caters to these specific situations that won’t usually be covered by standard home insurance.

Most insurers offer the option of adding multiple properties to your policy, and you may even be able to get a discount on your premiums as a result. However you may find that you need separate policies for each property, so it’s always better to compare your options before committing to a provider to ensure you’re getting the best deal.

You might need contents insurance as a landlord if you’re supplying furniture, fixtures and fittings for your tenants. For example, a landlord contents policy can help with freestanding sofas and beds, floor coverings and electrical appliances. You can generally expect the following to be covered either as standard or with an add-on:

  • Furniture such as sofas and cabinets

  • Kitchen appliances like ovens or sinks

  • Curtains

  • Carpets 

  • Paintings and pictures

  • Light fixtures

  • Outbuildings such as sheds or outhouses

  • Gardens and any contents in the garden 

  • Communal areas, if you’re letting your property out to multiple tenants

You might also be able to claim for alternative accommodation for your tenants if any damage to your contents renders the property uninhabitable.

Landlords are generally able to claim a tax deduction for the running and maintenance costs of their property, which includes landlord insurance, as well as:

  • General maintenance and repairs

  • Council tax

  • Water, gas and electricity

  • Maintenance services like and gardeners  

  • Letting agent fees

  • Property management fees

  • Accountant fees 

The first £1,000 of your property rental income is your property allowance, and therefore it’s tax free. Your total rental income added together, minus all your allowable expenses (including landlord insurance) will give you your profit or loss. 

  • For profit margins of £1,000 or less, you just need to claim for your allowance. 

  • For profits of between £1,000 and £2,500 you need to contact the HMRC to ensure you’re paying the correct tax

  • For profits of between £2,500 and £9,999 after expenses, or £10,000 or more before expenses, you’ll need to report the income on a self-assessment tax return.

If you live in the property and you are renting a room out, you should clarify whether the agreement is that they are a tenant or a lodger. Essentially, if you’ve agreed you cannot enter their room without their permission this would make them a tenant – and therefore you’d need landlord insurance to be properly covered.

If they’re a lodger then you should be able to get an extension on your home insurance policy that will cover you for housing a lodger.

As a landlord there’s always a risk that a tenant might refuse or not be able to pay rent. While this can cause problems, there are things you can do to protect your rental income – you can see what your options are with our guide to rent guarantee insurance.

Rental guarantee insurance usually covers six or 12-month periods, though an excess of one month’s rent is not uncommon.

Loss of rent will protect the income you receive from your tenants if they have to move out due to an insured event. This can include such events as a fire, flood, or robbery. As well as compensating you for the loss of rent, this insurance will also help you cover the cost of alternative accommodation for your tenants.

When you sign up to your landlord insurance policy, you should receive a booklet that outlines the detail of your policy, which usually comes with a claims form. You can claim by filling it out and mailing it to your insurer, though they may also be able to handle your claim online or over the phone.

Boiler cover isn’t a legal requirement as a landlord, but it can help keep your property habitable for tenants and prevent any headaches if the boiler does break down.

In most cases, the landlord will pay for buildings insurance. As a landlord, you may even be required to purchase it before getting a buy-to-let mortgage, depending on the lender's terms and conditions.

Finding the right policy for your properties and your own individual needs is crucial. Take a look at our landlord insurance guide to make sure your policy covers all the bases.

When you’ve decided on the level of cover you need, find the best landlord policy for your requirements via our preferred provider. MoneySuperMarket has teamed up with Simply Business, who offers an external landlord insurance comparison service. Simply Business is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA reference 313348)

You work hard to earn your money, and we don’t think you should waste a penny of it paying over the odds on your household bills. That’s why at MoneySuperMarket, we’re on a mission to save Britain money.

  • Whip your credit score into shape with Credit Monitor

  • Super save over and over again with Energy Monitor

  • There are always more ways to save with MoneySuperMarket 

So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy something, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from.

You might be wondering if we work with all the companies in the market, or if our commercial relationships with our partners might make us feature one company above another. We’ve got nothing to hide, and we want to give you clear answers when it comes to questions like these, so we’ve pulled together everything you need to know on this page.