Is my jewellery covered under my home insurance policy?
Can I get cover for a jewellery set or collection?
Some insurers offer policies for jewellery sets or collections, though these are likely to raise your premiums – you may even have to go to a specialist insurer to get the cover you need.
Does jewellery insurance also cover other valuable items?
You might be able to include cover for other valuables such as art, antiques or collectibles as part of a single policy. Remember to declare any items you want cover for.
What if my jewellery loses value after repair work?
If you have a piece of jewellery repaired, its market value may fall as a result. Some insurers will cover you for this loss in value, but it’s worth finding out beforehand to be sure.
Will I be covered if I take jewellery abroad?
Not all insurers offer cover if you take your jewellery abroad; some might refuse claims outright, while others may only offer protection if you’ve been away for under a certain length of time. If you’re going to take jewellery away with you, checkwith your insurer what level of cover they offer.
Does jewellery insurance have any exclusions?
- Wear and tear: For example, if you lose a gemstone from a ring or necklace as a result of age or general wear and tear, you won’t be able to claim
- Misplacement: If you lose an item of jewellery at home some insurers may not class this as strictly ‘lost’. They might say it’s been misplaced, in which case you won’t be covered for loss
- Unforced theft: Your insurer might also not pay out if your jewellery was stolen and there was no sign of forced entry, or if the person who stole the item was invited into your home
- Cosmetic damage: Certain types of damage such as scratches or dents are classed as purely cosmetic by insurers, and they probably won’t pay out
Get Money Calm
MoneySuperMarket gives you lots of clever ways to save a lot, by doing very little.
- Take control of your credit score by checking and improving it for free with Credit Monitor
- Never overpay again with Energy Monitor, our energy monitoring service
- Over 50 ways to Get Money Calm
So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy a product, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from.
But you might have other questions. Do we provide access to all the companies operating in a given market? Do we have commercial relationships or ownership ties that might make us feature one company above another?
We commit to providing you with clear and informative answers on all points such as this, so we have gathered the relevant information on this page.