Skip to content
Did you know your browser is out of date?
To get the best experience when using our website we recommend that you upgrade to the latest version of one of these browsers.

Home Insurance for over 60s

Compare quotes for over 60s home insurance

Compare cheap home insurance quotes

Compare cheap buildings insurance from over 55 providers

We’re committed to finding the right cover for you and your home. 

That’s why we compare over 55 of the biggest insurance providers in the country, including:

company logo for policy expertcompany logo for halifaxcompany logo for Admiralcompany logo for Privilegecompany logo for churchillcompany logo for Tesco bankcompany logo for lv


151% of consumers could save up to £114.16 a year on buildings and contents insurance. Consumer Intelligence, October 2021.



Is home insurance cheaper for over 60s?

Yes, insurance providers often offer lower prices on home insurance for over 60s because statistics show they are less likely to make a claim – and that when they do, it is usually for a smaller amount than younger claimants.

Coupled with the fact that you qualify for policies from specialist providers such as SAGA, Age UK and Rias, this means you may well be able to pay less for your home insurance than you did a few years ago.

You’ll still pay more if you have a very large home or live in an area with a high crime rate or flood risk, for example, while having lots of previous claims on your record and using your home as a place of business can also push up the cost.

house illustration

How much is home insurance for over 60s?

The average cost of a home insurance policy for the over 60s is:

  • houses icon



  • bath icon



  • home insurance icon



*Data collected by MoneySuperMarket, accurate as of November 2021

Tips for even cheaper home insurance

  • Improve home security

    Burglar alarms and secure locks can lower your premiums – especially if you’re in a burglary hotspot

  • Avoid an empty home

    Unoccupied homes are at a higher risk of being burgled or damaged by fire or escaped water

  • Insulate your pipes

    Insulating your pipes reduces the risk of water damage when they freeze and thaw in cold weather

  • Personal accident

    Fitting smoke alarms around your home is essential to keep you safe and it can lower your premium

We're 100% independent, working only for our customers

Unlike some of our competitors, MoneySuperMarket is not owned by an insurance company. So we can offer the best value, with savings delivered straight to you.

We combine independence, so we can negotiate the best prices, with excellent technology, to find the best value products and services.


of our customers would buy again based on 35,800 reviews

Why compare home insurance quotes with MoneySuperMarket?

We’re here to help you protect the things that matter most

  • clock icon

    It doesn’t take long

    Pop in some details about your home and
    your belongings, and compare quotes in
    just a few minutes

  • search icon

    We’ll search for savings

    We’ll search the market for the cheapest
    deals, and help you choose the cover that
    suits your needs

  • insurance icon

    Get the right cover

    We’ll show you claims experience for
    policies, to help you choose the right
    home insurance policy for you

To calculate how much cover you need from your home insurance policy, you’ll need to account for:

  • How much it would cost to rebuild your property from the ground up
  • The total value of your home’s contents, and how much it would cost o replace every item

If you live in a house, you will generally need two types of home insurance:

  • Buildings insurance – which offers financial protection if there is damage to the structure of your home, usually including the fixtures and fittings

  • Contents insurance – which is designed to pay out if your belongings are lost or damaged while inside your home

You can buy these separately or via a combined home insurance policy, which is often the cheapest option if you need both types of cover because insurers tend to offer discounts on their combined policies.  

If you live in a flat – for example in a retirement village – you may only need to take out contents insurance because buildings insurance is already included in the annual service charges.

As with most home insurance policies, you can choose to add a range of extra types of cover to your over 60s policy, although you will usually have to pay an extra premium to do so. 

Popular extras include:

  • Accidental damage cover – includes damage caused by pets or issues such as dry rot

  • Personal belongings cover – covers your possessions, such as your watch or smartphone, outside the home 

  • Home emergency cover – handy if you have a domestic emergency such as your boiler breaking down

  • Legal protection cover – covers the cost of legal representation such you become embroiled in a dispute such as a personal injury case

If you own a caravan, or an expensive bicycle, you may also be able to add cover protecting these items to your home insurance for over 60s policy. Some insurers even offer certain extras, such as home emergency cover, for free when you first take out home insurance for over 60s with them – so when shopping around, it’s worth double checking exactly what is included.

MoneySuperMarket makes it quick and easy to find a great deal on over 60s home insurance by showing you a list of policies that offer the level of cover you need. 

Just tell us a bit about yourself and your home, whether you are looking for buildings insurance, contents cover or combined home insurance, and if you need any extra types of cover, and we will search the market for the best deals for you. Then all you have to do is choose a policy and click through to the provider to confirm your purchase.


You work hard to earn your money, and we don’t think you should waste a penny of it paying over the odds on your household bills. That’s why at MoneySuperMarket, we’re on a mission to save Britain money.

  • Whip your credit score into shape with Credit Monitor
  • Super save over and over again with Energy Monitor
  • There are always more ways to save with MoneySuperMarket 

So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy something, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from.

You might be wondering if we work with all the companies in the market, or if our commercial relationships with our partners might make us feature one company above another. We’ve got nothing to hide, and we want to give you clear answers when it comes to questions like these, so we’ve pulled together everything you need to know on this page.


We aim to show you home insurance quotes from as many insurance companies as possible, so that you can find the right policy for you.

Unfortunately, we can’t promise to show quotes from every insurance provider, because not all companies want to be included on comparison websites.

We won’t offer you advice or make a recommendation, but we will provide you with all the information you need to help you decide which is the right policy for you.

You can find out more about how we work here.