Non Standard Home Insurance

Comprehensive Non Standard Home Insurance

If you own a property with non-standard features such as a thatched roof or if you have past criminal convictions, you may struggle to find a home insurance policy to suit your needs.

You can get insurance from these companies through MoneySuperMarket, but this doesn’t include every single insurer on the market. 



Non Standard Home Insurance

Great for
  • You can typically get a quote and buy online – no need to phone
  • Basic home emergency and legal expenses cover typically included as standard
  • Defaqto 5 Star rated buildings insurance
But be aware that
  • Cover for thatched roof properties is currently not available through the website
  • Policies are annual, with cancellation after 14 days incurring a fee
  • Flat roofs must be inspected or maintained at least every 10 years by a registered builder
Great for
  • Non-standard building materials
  • Criminal convictions and/or adverse credit history
  • Legal expenses option available
But be aware that
  • You cannot manage your policy online
  • Cover for thatched roof properties is unavailable
  • Minimum of £100 standard excess
Great for
  • Cover available for customers with unoccupied properties
  • Cover available for houses with a history of subsidence
  • Cover available for houses undergoing renovation work
But be aware that
  • You cannot manage your policy online
  • Legal expenses cover is optional
  • Home emergency cover is optional


How our site works

We want to show you as many insurers as possible, so that you can choose what suits you best. But, we can’t promise to show you every single insurer, because some insurers don’t want to be included on comparison websites. For customers like you who have more unusual requirements to insure your house, we felt it was best to rank insurers that provide the best range of cover across non-standard issues.

An introduction to non standard home insurance

Non standard home insurance essentially covers all those risks that are not covered in standard home insurance. This is where an insurer makes adjustments to a standard policy due to certain aspects of the insurance profile. This could mean an adjustment to the premium or a specific exclusion.

What does non standard home insurance cover?

This will cover policies which may be affected by the following:

  • Properties that have been flooded or are in flood risk areas
  • Properties unoccupied for a long period of time. This could be properties undergoing renovation then being sold or let. Also properties gained through inheritance.
  • Criminal convictions - you must declare to your insurer or broker if anyone living in the property has a criminal conviction.
  • Subsidence - if there has been a history of subsidence in the property this needs to be declared. In most cases, where the subsidence is less than twenty years ago, you will need to provide the insurer with a structural engineers report dated within the last twelve months.

Why buy non standard home insurance?

For the same reasons you would buy standard home insurance, to protect your buildings and contents. If your property is being used as security against a mortgage or loan, then the lender will insist on home insurance. To find out more about non standard home insurance and which types of property most commonly require this type of policy, read our specialist home insurance guide.