Motorhome Insurance

Find a motorhome insurance policy that’s right for you

We want to show you as many insurers as possible, so that you can choose the cover that’s right for you. But, we can’t promise to show you every single insurer, because some don’t want to be included on comparison websites.

You can get insurance from these companies through MoneySuperMarket, but this doesn’t include every single insurer on the market.

Great for
  • European cover up to 180 days
  • Personal possessions cover included as standard
  • Theft of motorhome covered as standard
But be aware that
  • You cannot manage your policy online
  • EU breakdown not covered as standard but is available
  • 'New for Old' cover is offered on motorhomes up to 1 years old
Great for
  • Loss, Theft or Accidental Damage up to 100%
  • Public Liability up to £2.25m
  • 3 family members on cover for free
But be aware that
  • 100% Accidental Damage only available on Static
  • Up to 10 years New For Old on Touring

How our site works

We think a good motor home insurance policy should cover you in Europe, and provide third party liability cover and new for old replacement. The companies that include these things in their standard policy appear higher in our list. The insurers who only offer some of these things in their standard policy appear lower down in the list.

Do I need insurance for my motorhome?

Yes. It’s a legal requirement for you to purchase annual insurance for your motorhome, even if you only use it a handful of times each year.

This is because, under the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) rules that came into force in 2011, it is now illegal to own a vehicle that is uninsured - even if it is not in use and is sitting in your garage. 

The only way to avoid insuring a vehicle that’s registered in your name is to declare it off the road with the DVLA via a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN). 

What should my motorhome insurance policy cover? 

The minimum level of motorhome insurance required by law is third party cover. 

Just as with car insurance, third party motorhome insurance will protect you in the event that another person (or their property) is injured by your motorhome. It won’t cover you for any damage to the vehicle itself. 

Third party, fire and theft (TPFT) motorhome cover offers additional protection so that you’ll be covered if your motorhome is stolen or damaged due to criminal activity, or is damaged or destroyed by fire. 

Finally, fully comprehensive motorhome insurance offers all the cover provided by a TPFT policy, but also includes cover for your motorhome in case it is damaged or destroyed in an accident that is your fault. 

Some motorhome insurance policies will include cover for your vehicle’s contents, or offer contents protection as an optional extra. If your camper is a ‘home from home’ and often contains valuables, this might be worth considering. 

Just make sure the items you’d be protecting under motorhome contents insurance are not already covered by other insurance policies you might have in place, such as travel insurance or home contents cover. 

You may also want to include cover for travel within the EU if you take your motorhome on trips abroad, and you might also want to consider adding breakdown cover to your policy if this is a cost-effective option.

What is unlikely to be covered under my motorhome insurance policy?

Motorhome contents and EU cover are unlikely to come as standard with every motorhome insurance policy, so if you require these features then it’s important to check whether they’re included and add them on to your cover if necessary.

Other common exclusions to motorhome cover include: 

  • Wear and tear;
  • Mechanical or electrical breakdown;
  • Damage caused to the vehicle by insects or vermin;
  • Damage caused to the motorhome by permanent use (i.e. through living in it all the time), or through its use for trade, professional or business purposes;
  • Damage or loss of the caravan or its contents due to poor security planning (such as the loss of valuables because you have not locked all windows and doors).

Your policy might also include a mileage cap or offer a choice of caps on the number of miles you can drive each year. The more miles you drive, the more you will pay for your cover.

How can I compare motorhome insurance policies? 

As with any insurance product, the key to getting the best deal on motorhome insurance is to shop around. By comparing a variety of policies based on the quality of cover they provide as well as cost, you’ll find a policy that’s good value for money overall.