Hello again!

Sign-in to see your recent quotes, or get a new one

Our service seems to be down currently, please try again later
Looks like this isn’t matching the password we have for you – give it another try
Please let us know your email address
Oops are you sure? – this doesn’t look right
Oh no, we can’t find your email address on our records

To make things quick and easy for you, we can remember your sign-in details for 90 days.

We don’t recommend this if you’re using a shared computer.

Home Insurance

Compare cheap home insurance quotes today

Save up to £59* on your home insurance

Get a brand new quote Retrieve quotes

*51% of customers could save up to £59. Consumer Intelligence, March 2016.


Live in a flood-risk area? Home insurance should now be cheaper

If you live in a flood-risk area, you’ll have been paying around £33 (or 24%) more for your home insurance than the national average, MoneySuperMarket research shows.

And if you’ve made a claim for damage caused by flooding, you’ll have typically seen your premium jump by £372 a year.

But at last there is some good news for those affected by flooding.

Thanks to the introduction of Flood Re – a scheme set up by the government and the insurance industry – home insurance should now cost less, even if you live in a high risk area.

The idea behind the scheme is that if an insurer deems a property to be high risk, it can pay Flood Re to look after the flood insurance part of the policy.

In turn, the insurer will charge you less for your insurance, with the actual amount being linked to the council tax band of your home.

This means if you’ve recently bought home insurance, it could be worth running a new quote to see how much you could save. If the savings are big enough, it could be worth paying a fee to cancel your current policy and switch to a new one.


Check out our top tips here


Home insurance guides

Home news

You and your home


What types of home insurance are there?

There are two types of home insurance:

Contents insurance

This covers the cost of replacing all your possessions, such as furniture, electrical items, clothing, jewellery and other belongings. You might find it helpful to work out the value of the contents of each room in turn before adding them together for your grand total. When you run a quotation, we’ll ask you about any particularly valuable items (those worth more than £1,000), along with any laptops and bicycles.

Buildings insurance

This covers your bricks and mortar, and would pay for repairs or rebuilding costs if, for example, your property were damaged or destroyed by a fire or storm. The amount of buildings cover you need is based on how much it would cost to rebuild your property, rather than its market value. When you run a quote, we’ll suggest a re-build amount using data about your address provided by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.

What information do I need to run a building and contents insurance quote?

There are a few details you’ll need to provide to get your quote…

  • Your address, the type of property and roughly when it was built
  • How many rooms the property has
  • Whether there are trees taller than 10 metres within 5 metres of the property
  • What percentage of your roof is flat, if any
  • When you bought the property
  • Who lives there, and when are people typically at home
  • What sort of locks are on the doors and windows
  • How much would it cost to rebuild (we’ll suggest a figure based on your postcode)
  • How much it would cost to replace your contents

What kind of insurance should I get?

If you own your home, then you will need both buildings and contents insurance. If you have a mortgage, your bank or building society will require you to have buildings insurance.

If you’re a renting your property, then buildings cover will be the responsibility of your landlord, but you will need contents cover to protect your possessions.

How can I save on my home insurance?

Don’t be tempted to scrimp on cover to reduce your premiums. There are other ways you can keep costs down which won’t leave you financially exposed.

When buying cover, remember that taking out combined building and contents cover with the same insurer can be cheaper than buying separate policies.

You could consider increasing your voluntary excess to reduce your premium. This is the part of any insurance claim you have to pay yourself.

Try to pay for your cover in a lump sum up-front if you can. If you pay in monthly instalments instead, you’ll usually have to pay interest on these payments.  

And remember that if you can avoid making a claim, you’ll get lower premiums by building up a no claims bonus.

Level of service

We aim to show you car insurance quotes from as many insurance companies as possible, so that you can find the right policy for you.

Unfortunately, we can’t promise to show quotes from every insurance provider, because not all companies want to be included on comparison websites.

We won’t offer you advice or make a recommendation, but we will provide you with all the information you need to help you decide which is the right policy for you.

You can find out more about how we work here.