About By Miles
By Miles offers a form of pay-as-you-go car insurance, where you pay per mile you drive. The less you drive, the less you pay.
By Miles pay-as-you-go car insurance policies are designed for drivers who drive below 7,000 miles a year. According to analysis of 2017 MoT figures from The Department for Transport, By Miles found that the average car in the UK drove 7,134 miles a year, so they believe there are a lot of drivers that might benefit from fairer and more flexible pricing.
Based on quotes for standard car insurance policies on MoneySuperMarket between 1 July 2018 and 30 September 2018, the average cost of car insurance for low mileage drivers driving between 5,000 and 6,000 miles a year was £809.01.
According to the same set of MoneySuperMarket data, motorists driving between 11,000 and 12,000 miles a year to find that the average car insurance quote was £576.42.
So lower mileage drivers can end up paying an average of £232.59 more a year for their standard car insurance policy than higher mileage drivers.
The pay-by-mile car insurance policies from By Miles are designed to help low mileage drivers save on their car insurance by only charging them based on the miles they actually drive, and not the miles they don’t.
Currently, By Miles car insurance policies are underwritten by a panel of insurers, including AXA Insurance UK. By Miles is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
How does By Miles pay-per-mile car insurance work?
By Miles car insurance offers fully comprehensive cover to protect both your car and cars belonging to third parties. When you get a quote you pay a fixed annual cost upfront to cover your car against theft, vandalism and accidental damage when it’s parked for the year. You’ll also be given a per-mile rate to cover your driving, which you’ll pay for the miles you drive each month - like a mobile phone bill.
Once you’ve bought a policy, By Miles will send you your Miles Tracker to plug into your car. The matchbox-sized Miles Tracker will measure your mileage, and you can view this in the app or on the web. You’ll then pay for the miles you’ve driven at the end of the month.
It’s important to note that By Miles policies are ‘pay as you drive’ not ‘how you drive’, so they only use the distance you drive to price your insurance. That means they won’t use when or how you drive to change your insurance cost.
By Miles insurance policies can start as early as the next day.
Much like other car insurance policies, if you need to make a claim on your By Miles car insurance policy, you’ll pay a fixed excess fee when you claim.
What does By Miles’ car insurance cover?
By Miles fully comprehensive car insurance offers the same level of cover as more traditional car insurance policies. Get cover for:
- Your car: your car will be covered against damage caused by accidents, vandalism, fire, lightening, explosion, theft and attempted theft. Comprehensive cover is also included for driving in the EU for 90 days a year
- Third-parties: third party cover for injury, death and property damage if your car causes an accident
Optional levels of cover available at an added cost include:
- Legal expenses cover
- Full UK RAC breakdown cover
Why choose By Miles?
- High quality fully comprehensive coverage, rated 5 Star by Defaqto
- Keep track of your spending with the By Miles smartphone app and web dashboard, where each journey will show up as soon as you’ve parked up
- Capped mileage discounts, so drive as much or as little as you like, but never pay for more than 150 miles each day, or 10,000 miles a year
- Protection of your No Claims Discount is included with every By Miles policy as standard, so your No Claims Discount won’t go down if you do make a claim
- UK-based support team available over phone, email and live chat to help you with any questions you have
- Make up to three changes to your policy details a year with no admin fee, and pay a low fee to make any additional changes after that
- The By Miles smartphone app also features handy driving tools and reminders for your car, like ‘Find My Car’ which will help you find your car if you’ve forgotten where you’re parked (or if it’s been stolen)
- Use the app’s diagnostic scanner, Car Medic, to help you figure out the cause of any car problems
By Miles contact details
Phone: Give By Miles a call on 0330 0883838 – lines are open from 9am – 6pm weekdays
Facebook: Contact By Miles on Facebook
Twitter: Contact By Miles on Twitter
Address: write to By Miles at By Miles, First floor, 2-14 Shortlands, Hammersmith, London. W6 8DJ
Comparing car insurance policies
By Miles is on our panel of insurers - compare the cost of its pay-as-you-go car insurance policies with standard fully comprehensive, third party and third party, fire and theft policies to help you find the best car insurance policy for you.