†82% of shoppers obtained a quote in 5 minutes or less. Source eDigitalResearch December 2012.
- 4x4 insurance
- American Car Insurance
- Are you Paying Too Much for Car Insurance?
- Black Box Insurance
- Business Car Insurance
- Car Insurance Advice
- Car Insurance Articles
- Car Insurance Brokers
- Car insurance calculator
- Car Insurance Claims
- Car Insurance For 17 Year Olds
- Car insurance for 18 year olds
- Car insurance for 19 year olds
- Car insurance for 21 year olds
- Car insurance for 25 year olds
- Car Insurance For New Drivers
- Car Insurance For The Unemployed
- Car Insurance For Young Drivers
- Car insurance for young females
- Car insurance for young male drivers
- Car Insurance Glossary
- Car Insurance Groups
- Car Insurance Guide
- Car Insurance Infographics
- Car Insurance Information
- Car Insurance Policy Types
- Car Insurance Tips
- Classic Car Insurance
- Convicted Driver Insurance
- Cosmetic insurance
- Electric car
- European Car Insurance
- Excess Insurance
- Extended Car Warranty
- First car insurance
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Fully Comprehensive Car Insurance
- Gap Insurance
- Green insurance
- Ideal family car
- Imported Car Insurance
- Instant Car Insurance
- Is My Car Insured?
- Kit Car Insurance
- Learner Driver Insurance
- Modified Car Insurance
- Moneysupermarket Car Insurance Monitor
- Moneysupermarket Car Insurance Monitor - September 2012
- Most fuel efficient cars
- MOT Checklist
- Multi-Car Insurance
- Named Driver Car Insurance
- New Car Insurance
- No Claims Discount
- No Deposit Car Insurance
- Northern Ireland
- One day car insurance
- Over 50s Car Insurance
- Over 60s car insurance
- Over 70s Car Insurance
- Over 80s Car Insurance
- Pass plus insurance
- Pay as you go car insurance
- Performance Car Insurance
- Petrol Vs Diesel
- Provisional Licence
- Sorn notification
- Specialist Insurance
- Sports Car Insurance
- Student Car Insurance
- Taxi insurance
- Teenage Car Insurance
- Telematics Insurance
- Temporary Car Insurance
- Third Party Car Insurance
- Third Party, Fire & Theft Car Insurance
- Weekly Insurance
- What are the best tax free cars available?
- What is black box insurance?
- Why is car insurance so expensive?
- Women's Car Insurance
- Motorhome Insurance
How to find the right insurance for your sports car
Anyone who drives a sports car will know to their cost that fast cars mean high insurance premiums. If your car is a Lotus or a Lamborghini, you can expect to pay a lot more.
It's even harder to find cheap sports car insurance for young drivers, because they are statistically more risky.
Why is sports car insurance more expensive?
It might seem harsh to pay a high price for sports car insurance, but insurers set their premiums according to the risk of claims. And sports cars - and their drivers - are very risky indeed.
Think about it for a minute. A high performance car with a powerful engine is more likely to be involved in an accident than a family saloon. Why? Because if you own a sports car, you tend to put your foot down.
A sought-after sports model such as an Aston Martin is also more attractive to thieves and vandals than your everyday runabout.
So owners of sports cars lodge more claims than the average motorist. The claims are also more expensive because parts and labour for sports cars are costly. The bill for replacements and repairs is therefore high.
Get the cheapest sport car insurance quotes for you
It's never going to be cheap to insure a sports car; but sports car insurance quotes don't have to be prohibitively expensive. One of the easiest ways to bring down the cost of cover is to search the market for the best deal.
You can compare sports car insurance quotes from more than 134 insurers at MoneySupermarket to help you find the right policy at the right price. Don't just opt for the cheapest policy though, as you want to make sure the cover is adequate. Some policies, for example, do not insure cars for track events. You might also want to agree a value with your insurer in case you need to claim for a write off.
There are a number of other ways to drive down the price of premiums.
- If you use your sports car only at the weekends or perhaps during the summer months, you could opt for a limited mileage policy. The fewer miles you drive, the less likely the risk of an accident, so the premiums are often cheaper. But make sure you set a realistic mileage limit. If you breach the limit without talking first to your insurer, it could invalidate the cover.
- It can often pay to become a member of a car owners' club as insurers sometimes offer premium discounts to club members.
- The security of your car is important to prevent theft and vandalism. A sports car should be kept in a locked garage when not in use. You might also be rewarded with a cheaper sports car insurance quote if you fit approved security devices to your vehicle, such as trackers and immobilisers.
- Try not to make any other modifications to your car, though, as they will bump up the price of insurance, even something as simple as tinted windows.
- All car insurance policies come with a compulsory excess, which is the amount you must pay towards any claim. If you can afford a higher voluntary excess, it should bring down the cost of cover.
- Young drivers might like to add an older, more experienced driver to their policy. It helps to reassure insurance companies and can lower premiums.