Couples travel insurance

Our guide for travel insurance for couples

By on

If you are heading overseas with your wife, husband or partner, it can often prove a lot cheaper to take out joint travel insurance that covers both of you rather than two separate policies.

Looking for travel insurance?


Here, we explain how to get the protection you need while you are away at the cheapest possible price.

What do joint travel insurance policies cover?

A typical couples travel insurance policy offers medical cover of up to £2 million (including repatriation costs) as well as personal liability cover of at least £1 million, but this can vary, so it's always important to read the key facts of a policy before purchasing.

For each of you, it should also provide cancellation cover up to an amount that is at least as high as the cost of your planned trip - including any prepaid activities such as ski lessons or excursions - as well as sufficient baggage or 'personal belongings' insurance.

Finally, look out for: travel delay cover that compensates you for any disruption to your travel plans; catastrophe cover that protects you against losses incurred as a result of natural events; and end-supplier failure, which could prove a lifeline should your tour operator or hotel go bust and you don't have protection under the ATOL arrangements.

Common exclusions

While many travel policies will provide protection similar to that mentioned above, not all will offer catastrophe insurance or end-supplier failure cover.

Another common exclusion that could be applicable to travel insurance for couples is pre-existing medical conditions. These must be declared when you apply for travel insurance or you risk invalidating any claim you make, leaving you and your partner to cover any medical costs yourselves.

There is also often a single item limit that will apply to any claims made for loss, theft or damage to your possessions while you are away.

You should therefore check the baggage section of the policy to ensure that the single item limit is high enough to cover any valuables you plan to take away with you.

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

The free European Health Insurance Card entitles you to medical treatment in state-run hospitals in any EU country (plus Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland) at the same cost as a local person would pay - which often means it's free.

It is therefore important to have one if you are travelling to Europe.

You can apply for the card, which is valid for five years, online at or by calling the EHIC phone line on 0845 606 2030.

Do not make the mistake of viewing an EHIC card as a substitute for travel insurance, though. Otherwise, you could end up footing the bill for private hospital treatment as well as any losses due to cancellation, baggage loss or theft.

For more information, visit our EHIC page here.

Money saving tips

Taking out a couples travel insurance policy is a great way to save money because it could work out cheaper than two separate policies.

Other ways to save include opting for annual/multi-trip cover if you expect to go on two or more trips during the 12-month term and, of course, shopping around for the best deal.

Don't automatically choose the cheapest option without checking the cover provided though, as this could prove to be a false economy should you need to make a claim.

How can MoneySupermarket help?

MoneySupermarket makes it easy to compare hundreds of couples travel insurance policies within moments.

All you need to do is to decide whether you want single trip or annual/multi-trip cover and input your personal details, including where you plan to travel.

You can then filter the results to ensure you get the cover you need at the cheapest possible price. 

Looking for travel insurance?

Did you find this helpful? Why not share this article?


View all articles >

Popular travel insurance guides

View all guides >