Skip to content

Long-stay travel insurance

Extended travel insurance for long trips

published: 15 July 2020
Read time: 5 minutes

Most standard travel insurance policies only cover trips of up to 31 days. For more extended travels, you’ll need long-stay travel insurance

Long-stay travel insurance is designed to protect you and your belongings for long-term trips such as gap year adventures and cruises around the world.

The type of cover you need depends on your age, how long you plan to be away, and where you are going.

What is long-stay travel insurance?

Long-stay travel insurance is cover that protects you on longer-term trips. Most standard travel policies will only cover you for holidays of up to 31 days – although some single-trip policies will cover a three-month stay. Long-stay travel insurance generally covers trips lasting up to 18 months.

There are a number of different policy types, including:

  • Backpacker insurance

  • Over-50s long-stay travel insurance

  • Over-70s long-stay travel insurance

Travelling through an airport

What does long-stay travel insurance cover?

Long-stay travel insurance offers similar cover to a standard travel insurance policy, including medical expenses, lost luggage, and having to cancel or curtail your trip. On top of this, long-term travel insurance may also offer extra cover such as protection for working abroad.

How much does long-stay travel insurance cost?

The cost of long-stay travel insurance varies widely. It depends on a number of factors, including:

  • Your age

  • Your health

  • How long you’ll be away

  • Where you’re going

  • What you’re taking with you

  • What you’re planning to do

These factors will also determine the type of long-stay travel insurance you need. If, for example, you’re planning a gap year with your school friends, a 12-month backpacker insurance policy will probably be the right choice – although you may need extra cover for certain activities, such as skydiving.

If you’re planning to winter in Majorca now you’re retired, a six-month long-stay travel insurance policy for the over 65s may be a better fit.

Either way, you can find the best long-stay travel insurance for you by comparing quotes on MoneySuperMarket.

What should I look out for with a long-stay travel insurance policy?

As with any travel insurance policy, you should make sure the cover provided by your long-stay insurance is sufficient for your needs. Things to check include:

  • Do you have enough cancellation cover for the total cost of your trip?

  • Have you included any activities you’ll be doing, such as water or winter sports

  • Do you have enough medical cover – at least £5 million?

  • If you’re working abroad, will you be covered if you have an accident?

  • Is the single-item limit on personal possessions cover enough to replace your valuables?

  • Will you be able to afford your excess payment if you need to claim?

Can long-stay travel insurance be part of an annual policy?

Most annual travel insurance polices will only cover you for individual trips lasting up to 31 days – even though the policy itself lasts for a year. So if you’re planning to be away for more than a month, you’ll need long-term travel cover instead.

Can single-trip travel insurance be used for long trips?

If you’re planning to spend up to three months in one destination, you may be able to take out a single-trip travel insurance policy. However, if you’re planning to visit several different countries, or will be away for more than 90 days, long-stay travel insurance is a better choice.

Can I get long-stay travel insurance with pre-existing medical conditions?

Yes, you can get long-stay travel insurance if you have a pre-existing condition such as diabetes or asthma. You will generally have to accept any related claims will be excluded, or pay more for specialist cover that includes the condition. Either way, don’t be tempted to lie about it to get cheap long-stay travel insurance.

Failing to declare pre-existing medical conditions when you take out travel insurance can invalidate your cover, which could leave you with no insurance when you need it most.

Can I take out long-stay travel insurance for over 50s?

Yes, lots of UK providers offer long-stay travel insurance for people over the age of 50 – the cover offered is similar to that provided by standard long-stay travel insurance. Over-50s policies are generally more expensive, but may include a larger range of medical conditions.

Can I get long-stay travel insurance for over 65s?

Yes, a number of UK insurers offer long-term travel cover for people over the age of 65. While many have an upper age limit of 79, a few will even offer policies for the over 80s. However, the cost goes up as you get older, as does the number of exclusions on the policy.

How should I insure my home if I’m away long term?

Most home insurance policies limit the number of days you can leave your home empty at any one time. This could be 30 or 60 days. So if you’re going to be away – and leaving your home empty – for longer than that, you’ll need specialist unoccupied home insurance.

You should also inform your insurer if you plan to rent your home out while you are away – and maybe take out landlord insurance.

Compare travel insurance quotes

Finding affordable travel insurance for your long-stay holiday is quick and easy when you compare quotes with MoneySuperMarket. All you need to do is tell us a little about yourself and your holiday plans, and we’ll search the market for a list of quotes tailored to your requirements.

You’ll be able to compare policies by the overall cover you’ll get, the premiums you’ll pay and the excess payment required to make a claim. Once you’ve found the deal you want, just click through to the provider’s website to finalise your purchase.

Looking for travel insurance?
Get a new quote