John Lewis broadband is affordable with decent speeds. Read on as we take a closer look.
Why choose John Lewis?
John Lewis broadband offers straightforward packages and honest pricing, with no upfront costs. It’s one of the smaller broadband providers here in the UK but what really sets it apart from other broadband providers is - as you’d expect with John Lewis – its excellent customer service.
All deals come with a landline with evening and weekend calls included as standard, and if you’re lucky you might be offered a free e-gift card.
Our best John Lewis broadband deals
*Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time(8pm to 10pm). Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing.
What broadband packages can I get from John Lewis broadband?
Your broadband options are:
- ADSL Broadband: You can choose between a ‘capped’ package which is perfect for light or medium users (20GB) or unlimited ADSL broadband allowing you to download as much or as little as you like, whenever you like
- Fibre Optic Broadband: A choice of superfast fibre optic broadband, with average speeds of 36Mbs, or even faster Fibre Extra, with average speed of 66Mbps
Whether you make lots of calls from your landline or your house phone is more on the ornamental side, John Lewis has a calls package to suit you.
With John Lewis there are three different calls packages available. Free evening and weekend calls to local numbers comes as standard with John Lewis line rental but if you’re someone who’s on the phone during the week too then you can add on ‘Anytime’ calls for £5 a month.
John Lewis also offer an international calling plan which gives you minutes to the top 20 most popular calling destinations worldwide for a monthly fee.
What else does John Lewis broadband offer?
|Fibre optic broadband||Yes|
Can I get John Lewis broadband deals in my area?
Even though John Lewis is one of the smaller broadband providers in the UK, it is still widely available.
What’s good about John Lewis broadband?
- Simple packages: You won’t be confused with too many options
- Same price wherever you live: No increased prices for rural areas
- Excellent value line rental: Cheaper than most other home phone providers
- Wide availability: Reaches far around the UK
- Fibre Extra available: Superfast fibre optic broadband is on offer
- Unlimited downloads and evening & weekend calls: Included as standard
- Excellent customer service: Great reputation
- No activation charges: Unless you need a phone line installed
What’s bad about John Lewis broadband?
- Limited choice: Broadband packages are limited compared with other providers
- Broadband and phone combo only: Only available as a combo, can’t get either of them just on their own
- No TV options: You can’t bundle broadband with TV
- Manages web traffic: This means you’ll always have a stable connection, and things like VoIP and gaming are prioritised, but you may see slower speeds for some tasks
- More expensive than other providers: TalkTalk or Plusnet, for instance, may offer better value
MoneySuperMarket’s expert view
John Lewis Broadband provides great value broadband with clear pricing.
What has always set John Lewis apart though is its customer service. Whilst a smaller provider, John Lewis have a dedicated customer service team that are well known to be helpful and friendly.
It is worth noting though that when it comes to any issues with the service it will be Openreach of whom carry out any work and not John Lewis – it’s certainly worth keeping this in mind if the John Lewis name is one of your main reasons to switch.
John Lewis broadband set-up
If you already have an active phone line at your property, you should be able to set up your broadband yourself.
However, an engineer may be required if there is no working landline at your home.
Is there a John Lewis broadband installation fee?
Only if you need a new line installation which usually involves an engineer visit which will cost you £49.99.
John Lewis will arrange everything for you and you don’t need to contact your old provider if you’re switching.
What's the John Lewis broadband installation time?
John Lewis activation time should be around two to three weeks.
If you are switching provider, it should take around 10 to 12 working days and you will still have broadband through your current provider until you are switched over to the John Lewis network.
John Lewis broadband customer service
As mentioned, John Lewis is renowned for their excellent customer service. If you need to get in touch:
- Phone: You can call John Lewis Broadband’s UK-based customer service team on 0800 022 3300 between 9am and 6pm, seven days a week
- Online: Raise a query using your online account and you can expect an answer within 24 hours
Other providers like John Lewis
Want to compare your options? Have a look at our guides to other broadband and phone services, some of which also offer TV bundles:
Can I get John Lewis broadband without landline?
For John Lewis broadband, you need a non-cable phone line. To have a non-cable phone line installed, you can sign up through John Lewis.
They will organise an engineer to visit your property and you will be charged an installation fee of £49.99. You will also require a standard landline phone in order to make and receive calls.
What John Lewis broadband speeds can I get?
The speed you’ll get can be impacted by where you live, the distance from the telephone exchange, and by the performance of your computer and wiring in your home.
If you decide to go with John Lewis, you’ll be given a speed estimate for your address before you sign up.
How much is John Lewis broadband?
The price you pay for John Lewis broadband will depend on the package you go for. It’s not the cheapest provider on the market but we can still help you get a great deal.
If you’re looking to spend a little less, check out our cheap broadband deals.