We compare offers from a wide range of lenders from across the market
We work with over 40 loan providers including most of the big brands to help you borrow the money you need.
Will the loan eligibility checker affect my credit score?
Our loan eligibility checker uses a ‘soft search’, which leaves no mark on your credit score at all, so lenders won’t be able to see the searches we’ve made. However, if you apply for a loan this will leave a record, as lenders will then look at your credit report – this is what they call a ‘hard search’.
What shows up on my credit report?
After using the eligibility checker, you’ll notice it appear in a section of your credit report titled ‘soft searches’, rather than ‘hard searches’. It’ll show clearly who made the search.
Why do you need my information?
We use the minimum amount of information required to get an accurate eligibility score for you, which includes:
- Your name, date-of-birth and address to identify your credit report
- Marital status and financial dependants to estimate your expenditure
- Employment, income, and rental or mortgage payments to get a picture of your financial circumstances
- How much money you need, over how long and for what purpose, to judge whether you’ll be able to repay it
What does ‘pre-approved’ for a loan mean?
Some lenders will already have some information about you and your finances, perhaps from previous accounts you’ve held with them, so they won’t need any more information about your finances so long as you apply within 24 hours of doing the eligibility check.
Is it worth applying for a loan if my chances are as low as 20%?
If you’re just shopping around or wondering if you’d be accepted, it probably isn’t worth the mark it’ll leave on your credit report. However if you really need this loan and it’s the most likely of all your options, then a small chance is better than no chance.
Other useful links
Get Money Calm
MoneySuperMarket gives you lots of clever ways to save a lot, by doing very little.
- Take control of your credit score by checking and improving it for free with Credit Monitor
- Never overpay again with Energy Monitor, our energy monitoring service
- Over 50 ways to Get Money Calm
So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy a product, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from.
But you might have other questions. Do we provide access to all the companies operating in a given market? Do we have commercial relationships or ownership ties that might make us feature one company above another?
We commit to providing you with clear and informative answers on all points such as this, so we have gathered the relevant information on this page.