Are you an avid online gamer? Do you regularly stream music, movies or TV shows? Unlimited broadband is the best option for you
What is unlimited broadband?
Unlimited broadband is when your broadband deal lets you make as many downloads and browse the internet without worrying about whether you’ll hit your allowance each month.
Most providers offer unlimited downloads as part of their standard broadband packages.
Do I need unlimited broadband?
While broadband deals with unlimited downloads are widespread and generally affordable, you might be able to get a cheaper deal if you don’t think you need it.
A good place to start is working out what kind of internet user you are, which will also help you decide what kind of speeds you’ll best be suited to.
What kind of internet user am I?
Internet usage is generally sorted into three categories – light, medium and heavy. The way you use broadband will help you decide what kind of speed and download limits to look for.
- Light users: If you only really use the internet for day-to-day activities, like shopping, emails and banking – you might not necessarily need unlimited downloads or very fast speeds
- Medium users: If you regularly browse the web or social media, or occasionally like to stream music, movies or TV – you could benefit from faster internet and a bigger download limit
- Heavy users: If you’re using the internet often, for heavier tasks such as sharing files, regular streaming or online gaming – it’s likely you’ll be best suited to quicker and unlimited downloads
What download speeds will I get with unlimited broadband?
The download speeds you get with your unlimited broadband deal will depend on whether your provider offers an ADSL, cable or fibre optic connection.
- ADSL: ADSL stands for ‘asymmetric digital subscriber line’. It’s the most commonly available type of connection, but it usually offers the slowest download speeds of all – around 10-30Mb/s on average
- Cable: Cable broadband packages aren’t as widely available, but they do offer faster average download speeds – around 50 to 100Mb/s
- Fibre: Fibre-optic broadband is becoming more widespread, and usually offers the fastest speeds available – often between 50 and 300Mb/s
You can learn more about how download speeds work with our guide to bits and bytes.
Data collected by Lightspeed/Mintel in January 2019, accurate as of May 2019
What other services can I get with unlimited broadband?
Unlimited broadband deals often come with landline and TV in various combinations, and you might be able to save money by opting for one of the following bundle types.
You should also keep an eye out for incentives such as cashback or free gifts. They can be tempting additions to your deal but they won’t affect the quality of your connection.
Compare unlimited broadband deals
Finding the best affordable unlimited download package is easier when you compare broadband deals with MoneySuperMarket.
Just enter your postcode into our postcode checker and tell us a little about what you want from your broadband deal, and we’ll show you what’s available in your area.
You’ll be able to compare deals by the download speeds you’ll get, the type of connection you’ll be on and the overall cost of your package – as well as any freebies you might get.
Once you’ve found the one you want, just click through to the provider to finalise your purchase.