If you’re looking for a new broadband deal, you might consider a bundle to get a better price. Compare broadband packages with MoneySuperMarket today
What broadband packages can I get?
Most providers offer broadband alongside landline and TV in different combinations, and depending on the provider and the services you need these bundles could represent a better deal.
This isn’t always the case, so it’s best to compare deals from a range of providers so you can get the best service for your money.
When it comes to buying broadband, you’ll usually have the following options:
- Broadband only: You get your broadband from one provider with no other services
- Broadband and phone: You get your broadband and landline services from one provider
- Broadband and TV: You get broadband and TV from one provider – which may include access to streaming services as well as satellite TV
- Broadband, phone and TV: You get all three services in one package from a single provider
What are the benefits of getting a broadband bundle?
Taking out multiple services in a bundle from one provider can offer benefits compared to taking each out separately, such as more competitive pricing and free gifts.
- Discounted price: Many providers offer a discount in return for combining your services
- Freebies: They may also offer incentives such as cashback or free gifts
- Less hassle: It’s probably easier dealing with one provider for all your services, as you’ll only have one point of contact when you need help and one bill to deal with
Can I get my mobile phone deal included in the bundle?
Some providers do offer bundles that include a mobile phone tariff as well as broadband, phone and TV – these are called quad-play packages.
However these are rare, and they aren’t always guaranteed to offer the best deals, making it all the more important to shop around and compare all of your options.
What types of broadband can I get?
Broadband is usually available through ADSL, cable or fibre optic technology, but they might not all be available to you depending on your location and provider.
- ADSL: Short for ‘asymmetric digital subscriber line’, this is the most commonly available type of broadband in the UK. It normally offers average download speeds of 10Mb/s, and requires an active BT line
- Cable: Cable broadband isn’t as widely available as ADSL in the UK, but it does offer faster average download speeds. Providers offering cable such as Virgin Media use coaxial cables rather than BT’s copper phone line
- Fibre: Fibre-optic broadband is usually the fastest option and therefore the priciest – and while it’s not as widely available as cable or ADSL it’s growing in popularity. If you’re considering this it’s worth checking if it’s available in your area, and even if it isn’t you may be able to find out when it will be
How do I choose the right broadband package?
When you compare broadband packages, you should consider factors like download speeds and limits, contract length and overall cost to name a few.
- Speed: Download speed is a crucial factor when comparing broadband deals as it affects your overall experience. You can get a better idea of how broadband speeds are measured with our guide to bits and bytes, and see what kind of download speed you’ll be suited to depending on the type of internet user you are
- Limit: It’s likely you’ll be able to find an affordable broadband deal offering unlimited downloads, but not all packages offer this. If you use the internet frequently, be sure to check for any limits
- Availability: Not all types of connection are available throughout the UK – most providers offer a postcode checking service so you can find out what’s available in your area
- Tech support: The quality of a provider’s customer assistance is a big factor as it’s inevitable that the internet will eventually go down. Good tech support can be crucial in understanding where things have gone wrong, so check online reviews to get an idea of different providers’ records with customer support
- Contract: You may get to choose between a 12- or 24-month package or a rolling monthly contract
- Equipment: Some providers may require you to have certain equipment installed to access their services. This will sometimes be provided and paid for by your provider, but not always – be sure to check if you need to pay extra for an upgrade
- Freebies: You may be tempted by some providers offering free gifts or cashback as part of their deal, but remember this won’t affect the quality of service you get
- Cost: Arguably the most important factor, getting the best deal at the best price is why shopping around is so important
What should I look out for with broadband and phone packages?
When you compare broadband and phone bundles, an important factor to consider is the number of free minutes or calls you get – keep an eye out for the following.
- Free call minutes each month
- Set periods during the day or week when you can make free calls, such as evenings or weekends
- Certain rates for free calls – some tariffs only offer free calls for the first 20 minutes of your call, before charging at a set rate if they last longer
- Charges for international calls, mobile phone calls or premium numbers – such as those starting with 0870
What should I look out for with broadband and TV packages?
Likewise when you’re shopping around for broadband and TV deals, consider what you’ll actually be watching as well as when and where, so you don’t end up with an excessive bundle you don’t need – think about these factors.
- The channels included in your package
- Whether you can pause, rewind or record live TV
- If you get on-demand content
- If you can watch TV on other devices, such as your phone, tablet or computer
Compare broadband packages
It’s easier to find affordable broadband, phone and TV deals when you compare broadband packages with MoneySuperMarket.
Just tell us your postcode and choose what you want from your broadband deal and we’ll show you what’s available in your area.
You can compare packages by the download speed and limits you’ll have, the overall cost of the deal and any freebies you might get. When you find the one you want, just click through to the provider to finalise your purchase.