When you’re looking for fibre broadband, Sky is a name that will pop up again and again – especially if you’re after a handy bundle with telly. Here’s what you can get from Sky, and what you can enjoy with its fibre broadband deals.
Our best Sky fibre broadband deals this week
*Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time(8pm to 10pm). Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing.
Can I get Sky fibre broadband in my area?
Availability on its highest speed Ultrafast and Gigafast packages is limited, however. You may be in luck if you’re in or near a major city, but smaller towns and rural areas are less well-served.
You can find out if you can get it for your household by using our postcode checker and seeing what Sky fibre broadband deals are available.
Bear in mind that even if you can’t get Sky broadband, you may still be able to get fibre broadband from another provider and order Sky TV separately.
What fibre optic broadband packages can I get from Sky?
Sky offers a range of fibre optic packages.
Sky’s fibre broadband package names
You can get the following fibre optic broadband packages from Sky:
- Superfast 35 – average download speeds of 36Mbps, and average upload speeds of 9Mbps
- Superfast – average download speeds of 59Mbps, and average upload speeds of 16Mbps
- Ultrafast – download speeds of 145Mbps, uploads 27Mbps
- Ultrafast Plus – download speeds of 500Mbps, uploads 60Mbps
- Gigafast – average download speeds of 900Mbps, and average upload speeds of 90Mbps
With all packages, you can also add on Sky Broadband Boost with its WiFi Guarantee. This gives you extra equipment, and ensures you can get a connection of at least 3Mbps in every room. That’s not exactly Roadrunner speed, but can come in handy in a large house or a home where Wi-Fi struggles.
Sky’s bundling options
Once you’ve chosen a broadband package, you can then bundle up with calls on your home phone, and of course Sky TV.
You can choose one of Sky’s straightforward ready-made bundles here, or build your own. Pick your broadband speed, home phone option, Sky TV package, and whether you want Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, and/or BT Sport too.
And let’s not forget you can also add mobile phone plans, courtesy of Sky Mobile.
Bundling all these services together saves you a few quid, and puts everything together on one handy bill.
In fact, Sky is made with bundling in mind. If you pick a Sky broadband + TV option with multiroom, the Sky Q boxes will help extend your Wi-Fi into those rooms. You’ll get a better connection on all your devices around the house (and some top telly to watch while you browse the web).
How does Sky compare against other providers?
In terms of price, Sky is generally higher than average, both in monthly and setup costs. It’s good value when bundled with TV (which gives you a lot of high quality content and extras), but if you only want broadband, you’ll likely find it cheaper elsewhere.
Part of why Sky can cost more, of course, is because you get more. For instance – technology. As free routers go, the Sky Hub is excellent. It can support a wide spread of devices all at once with strong Wi-Fi, and does so reliably.
Other providers that also give you top-notch equipment tend to be at a similar price point: BT, Virgin Media, Hyperoptic, and so on.
Finally, the bundling options with Sky are excellent. The only provider that can even compete here is Virgin Media – which has faster broadband speeds and hundreds of TV channels in its arsenal. Sky is more flexible, however, letting you mix and match exactly what you want in your bundle.
What are the pros and cons of Sky fibre broadband?
- Adequate speeds that can handle the demands of most households, with good upload speeds too
- It’s reliable – especially if you spring for WiFi Guarantee, which promises a minimum connection in every room
- Excellent bundling options with lots of choice, including Sky TV – you can build your own bundle around what you want
- Equipment is great, with the smooth Sky Hub router included
- Customer service is reported as impressive
- The Sky Switch Squad is on hand for a seamless switchover from your previous provider
- Gives you free access to public Wi-Fi hotspots through The Cloud
- Faster speeds are available from other providers, such as Virgin Media
- It’s not the cheapest, and prices usually rise 18 months into the contract – and Sky broadband can be especially pricey if you’re not bundling it with TV
- Setup costs apply, higher than many other providers