Skip to content

Stroke travel insurance

Travel insurance after a stroke

Jake Edmonds
Written by  Jake Edmonds
5 min read
Updated: 19 Mar 2024

You can still enjoy going on holiday after having a stroke – and with a good travel insurance policy, you can relax knowing you’re fully protected

You may have to pay more for travel insurance as one of the 1.2 million stroke survivors in the UK.  The type of policy you can get will depend on the severity of your stroke and its effects on you.

If you want cover for stroke-related issues, a specialist policy is probably the way to go.

Can I get travel insurance after a stroke?

yes, you can get travel insurance after a stroke but it may be a little tricky. A stroke will be considered as a pre-existing condition which you will have to disclose to your insurer when applying for cover. This may mean you will need a specialist policy or your premiums may be slightly higher.

Hiking around Garibaldi Lake

Is a stroke considered a pre-existing condition?

A stroke is considered a pre-existing medical condition, which is why it’s important to declare it when taking out a travel insurance policy.

Once you tell insurers you have had a stroke, they may ask for more details such as:

  • How many strokes you’ve had

  • How long it has been since your last stroke

  • Whether you need mobility aids

Answering these questions fully and accurately will help you find the right policy.

Do I have to declare a stroke to my travel insurance provider?

You should declare a stroke when taking out travel insurance – even if your stroke was many years ago.

Failing to declare conditions such as a stroke when you buy a policy will leave you unable to claim should you require medical treatment related to your condition. It could even invalidate your cover completely.

Does travel insurance cover treatment for strokes?

Standard travel insurance policies will usually cover emergency treatment if you suffer your first stroke while on holiday. However, they often exclude strokes as a pre-existing condition. If you’ve already had a stroke, you will therefore need a specialist policy to cover any related issues that occur while you are away.

This may cost more, but it could save your thousands of pounds should you require medical treatment in a foreign country. It’s the best option for true peace of mind, although you may feel a standard policy is sufficient if you are travelling to a country covered by the EHIC scheme (see below).

What else does stroke travel insurance cover?

Specialist stroke travel insurance should include all the same cover as a standard insurance policy, plus stroke-related medical problems. You should therefore be covered for:

  • Lost, stolen or damaged belongings

  • Emergency medical treatment and repatriation (even when linked to your stroke)

  • Cancellation or curtailment of your holiday

  • Personal liability (accidental damage to another person or their property)

Some policies will also include extra cover such as compensation for travel delays.

How soon can I travel after a stroke?

The Stroke Association recommends not flying for at least two weeks after a stroke, although how long you have to wait will depend on the severity of your stroke. If you have a mini-stroke or TIA, medical guidance is to avoid flying for 10 days. If you have a bigger stroke, you should not fly for at least 21 days.

Where can I travel after a stroke?

You will not be denied travel to any country after your stroke. In some cases, you may be required to get a fit to fly letter from your GP to ensure that you are healthy enough to travel on a plane.

Will a GHIC help if I am travelling after a stroke?

An EHIC - and its new replacement the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) - allows you to access state-provided healthcare in EU countries on the same terms as a local resident. This may mean a reduced cost or sometimes for free. UK residents can still get a free GHIC through the NHS and it will continue to be accepted, even though the UK is no longer part of the EU.

But it is not a replacement for travel insurance, and it will not cover you for treatment at a private hospital.

If you need treatment, head to a state medical facility first and then tell your insurance provider. You’ll then be advised on what additional private treatment might be covered by your policy.

Travel cover with pre-existing medical conditions

Travel insurance lets you explore the world with confidence, even with a pre-existing medical condition such as diabetes or cancer – as long as you tell your insurer about it. We can show you prices from a panel of specialist insurers that offer medical travel insurance covering a wide range of medical conditions to ensure you’ll be covered should a condition flare up while you’re away.

If you're still struggling to find suitable cover, the MoneyHelper website provides a list of specialist insurers to help you get adequate cover, or you can call the British Insurance Brokers Association on 0370 950 1790.

Compare travel insurance quotes

Comparing travel insurance quotes with MoneySuperMarket is a quick and easy way to find affordable cover for your holiday. All you need to do is tell us a little about yourself and your travel plans, and we’ll search the market for a list of quotes tailored to your requirements.

You’ll be able to compare policies by the overall cost of cover, the level of protection you’ll get and the excess you’ll need to pay to make a claim. Once you’ve found the deal you want, just click through to the provider to finalise your purchase.

As with any kind of insurance, the cheapest deal isn’t always the best available. We recommend aiming for a balance between cost and cover, so you know you have the protection you’ll need for the most affordable price.

Looking for travel insurance?
Start a Quote