Skip to content

Unoccupied landlord insurance

Compare landlord insurance for empty properties

feefo logo
Overall customers rate us
4.9 out of 5240,554 reviews
home image

Compare landlord insurance quotes from 14 trusted UK providers1

By comparing landlord insurance policies from top providers you can quickly find our best deal and save money. Our providers include:

company logo for ageas-110
company logo for Churchill
company logo for modus
company logo for ukgeneral
company logo for covea
company logo for nig
company logo for das

1Correct as of November 2023

What is unoccupied landlord insurance?

A standard home insurance policy usually won't cover homes that have been unoccupied for extended periods. This can put landlords at risk if their properties are without tenants or if there is a delay in tenants moving in. If this is a real concern, you may need to look for landlord insurance policies that specifically offer cover for unoccupied properties.

Unoccupied property cover when added to a landlord insurance policy will extend your liability insurance to cover any claims that may be made against you if an accident occurs on the property when it's unoccupied. Some policies can also extend your buildings and contents cover so you can claim for any damage or loss. If you expect your property to be empty for long periods, this special cover can give you peace of mind.

purple living room

Why do I need unoccupied property insurance as a landlord?

There are lots of reasons why landlords might have empty properties, including:

  • You own a holiday let that is empty during off-seasons

  • You are a new landlord

  • Tenants have moved out and you haven't found new ones yet

  • You rent your property to students

  • The property has been vacated for maintenance

Whether or not you expect your property to be empty, this is a valuable insurance cover to consider. If, for example, an accident occurs on an empty property, your landlord insurance will help you cover legal fees and compensation for any liability claims. If your property is vandalised or broken into, your insurance can cover the cost of repairing the damage and replacing stolen contents. Without unoccupied property cover, you would have to pay these costs out of pocket once your property has been empty for more than 60 days.

It's important to inform your insurer when an insured property is unoccupied. Failing to do so could invalidate your policy.

What types of things are included in unoccupied property insurance?

Unoccupied insurance can offer similar cover to standard landlord insurance while some providers may reduce your insurance cover when the policy is unoccupied. You must read your policy documents to confirm what your insurance will cover.

A landlord insurance policy with unoccupied property cover will typically cover the following:

  • Property owner's liability

    If you are legally responsible for injuries or damage to someone's property, insurance will cover legal fees and compensation payments

  • Legal fees

    Insurance will cover the cost of legal fees relating to your property, covering issues such as rent recovery, property damage, or repossession

  • Buildings insurance

    Buildings insurance will cover damage to the building while it's empty, including cover for fire, flooding, vandalism, and escape of water

  • Contents insurance

    Landlord contents insurance will protect the contents of the property that belongs to you, such as white goods, appliances, or furniture

What isn't included in unoccupied property insurance cover?

There are some instances where your landlord's insurance may not cover you. These are a few reasons why you might not be able to claim on your landlord insurance:

  • Unforced entry

    Leaving your doors and windows unlocked or open is a sure-fire way to void a home insurance policy because thieves and squatters can get into your property without forcing entry

  • Major works

    Some insurers might even refuse to cover incidents that happen during major works such as an extension or repairs to the home’s structure

  • Contractors

    If you’ve hired contractors to work on your home while it’s unoccupied, you might not be covered for any damage they cause. Contractors should have their own insurance to cover the damage

David McDermottroe

Our expert says


Unoccupied property insurance can be a valuable extra cover for landlords but it can also add to the cost of your landlord property. Not every provider is willing to offer this type of cover, which also means it can limit your options when shopping for policies. It pays off to take some extra time to compare quotes to see for yourself how to get the best value out of your landlord insurance. Comparing quotes with MoneySuperMarket is quick and easy, and with our questionnaire we can help you find policies are providers that meet your specific needs. Compare cheap quotes with us to find the best price on your landlord insurance.

- David McDermottroe, Home & Van Insurance Expert

How much is unoccupied property insurance?

A landlord insurance policy with unoccupied property cover can vary in price depending on the cover you want and the details of your property. The following are a few factors that will affect your insurance cost:

  • Plus


    You can reduce the cost of your policy by enhancing the property's security, such as placing locks on doors and and windows and installing burglar alarms

  • Plus


    Insurance will be more expensive if your property is based in an area with a high crime rate or a high risk of flooding

  • Plus

    Property details

    The property's size, age, building materials, roof structure, and the value of its contents will all affect the cost of insurance

  • Plus

    Policy cover

    The cover options you add to your policy will affect the cost. Choosing higher levels of cover or additional cover will make insurance more expensive

  • Plus

    Your claims history

    Your insurance will be more expensive if you have previously claimed on the insurance or if people have made claims against you for compensation

  • Plus

    Payment method

    Paying for your insurance annually sometimes works out cheaper than paying monthly because you reduce the risk of missing payments

Why compare landlord insurance with MoneySuperMarket?

  • Save time

    MoneySuperMarket makes it easy to compare policies from multiple providers in one place, saving you the time and hassle of researching each provider individually.

  • Save money

    By comparing policy quotes and features MoneySuperMarket makes it easy to match our best deals with prices to fit your needs and budget, saving you money on your insurance premium.

  • Get tailored cover

    With a wide range of policies available, you can find landlord insurance that meets your unique needs and provides the coverage you need to protect your investment.

What do I need to get a quote?

To start comparing quotes for landlord insurance, all you need to do is tell us a little about yourself. We'll use this information to get accurate prices for policies that meet your needs.

Before you get started, here are a few details that you should have at hand to answer our questions:

  • Tick

    Your details

    We will need some basic details about you, including your name, contact details, and some details about your financial history

  • Tick

    Property information

    We will need to know about the property you want to insure, including details about its construction, its age, its location, and its state of repair

  • Tick

    How long will the property be empty

    To get unoccupied property cover, we will need to know the length of time the property will be empty

  • Tick

    Your policy details

    We need to know what kind of policy you're looking for – whether it includes building or contents insurance – and what additional cover you want to add

Compare landlord insurance quotes with MoneySuperMarket

Comparing landlord insurance quotes with MoneySuperMarket is the easiest way to find affordable cover tailored to suit you. Here's how it works:

  • Provide us with details

    Pop in details like your address, property type, and any extra policies you want and you’ll get a landlord insurance quote

  • We’ll show you our best quotes

    You’ll be able to see and compare the policies on offer from our preferred landlord insurance providers

  • Complete with your chosen provider

    Once you’ve chosen your policy and received a quote, you can call or apply directly online with the provider to get covered

If you think your rental property will be unoccupied for a long period, you may want to consider doing the following to protect it:

  • Make regular visits: While many providers will ask you to visit at least once a week, dropping by more often can give you more peace of mind that your property is in good shape.

  • Instal smart security: There is a wide array of smart security devices available, such as security cameras and smart lighting that are linked directly to your phone. These can help you keep tabs on the property while it’s empty.

  • Ask your neighbours: It might be worth asking the people who live around or next to the property to keep an eye out if they can. However, you shouldn’t rely on this as a failsafe measure.

Standard landlord insurance policies have limits to how long you can leave your property unoccupied, after which you won't be covered. The typical length of time is a maximum of 30 days, although some providers allow as long as 60 days left unoccupied.

You should always inform your provider when you know your property is unoccupied, even if you have cover for it. Failing to do so could mean that your claim is rejected.

Yes, you can. Landlord insurance policies can cover multiple properties at a time, with the same level of cover applying to all of them. However, if you have a large number of properties that you want to insure at once, you may need to go to a provider that specialises in large portfolios.

An unoccupied property is a property that no one has lived in for a period of time. This includes properties that have tenants but the tenants have been away for an extended period. For example, tenants that have gone on a long holiday or have an extended stay in hospital are technically leaving their home unoccupied. In cases like these, standard landlord insurance may not cover the property if anything were to happen while the tenant is gone.

You work hard to earn your money, and we don’t think you should waste a penny of it paying over the odds on your household bills. That’s why at MoneySuperMarket, we’re on a mission to save Britain money.

  • Whip your credit score into shape with Credit Monitor

  • Super save over and over again with Energy Monitor

  • There are always more ways to save with MoneySuperMarket 

So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy something, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from.

You might be wondering if we work with all the companies in the market, or if our commercial relationships with our partners might make us feature one company above another. We’ve got nothing to hide, and we want to give you clear answers when it comes to questions like these, so we’ve pulled together everything you need to know on this page.