Skip to content
Did you know your browser is out of date?
To get the best experience when using our website we recommend that you upgrade to the latest version of one of these browsers.

Renters Insurance

Super Save with Cover From £5*

  • Comparing renters insurance is fast, free and simple!

Which brands do we work with?

As the only price comparison site offering a choice of renters insurance policies specifically designed for tenants, we'll show you quotes from a panel of two specialist providers – but watch this space, we will be adding more providers to our panel.

company logo for unknowncompany logo for unknown

Bespoke renters insurance designed with you in mind

MoneySuperMarket offers renters insurance policies designed specifically with tenants in mind. You'll be able to find a deal that suits your needs, and you can add extras like out-of-home and accidental damage cover if you need them.

  • tv icon

    Protect your belongings with ease

    You won't be left out of pocket if your belongings get lost, damaged or stolen

  • clock icon

    It doesn't take long

    Fill in a handful of questions and get a quote in under two minutes

  • search icon

    Compare and get covered

    Compare flexible policies lasting from one month to one year, from as little as £5 a month

We'll help you calculate how much cover you need

Choose your most beloved belongings from our list, and tell us how much they’re worth. Then, we’ll work out how much overall cover you need for these, and your other belongings. The amount we calculate is based on the average for people your age who live in your area.

Why do I need renters insurance?

If you're a tenant, a renters insurance policy will pay to repair or replace your belongings if they're damaged or stolen.

When you're living in rented accommodation, your favourite belongings help make the place feel like home, so if something does go wrong, it's a huge relief to know you won't be out of pocket. Renters insurance policies offer flexible and affordable cover designed for tenants. It takes just two minutes to get a quote and costs as little as £5 a month.

What does renters insurance protect me against?

Renters insurance covers your belongings when they're lost, damaged or stolen, so you'll be able to claim in case of the following:

  • theft icon


  • bath icon


  • water icon

    Water leaks

  • flooding icon


  • Storms


  • Fire icon


What can I cover with renters insurance?

A renters insurance policy will cover the cost of repairs or replacements for most of these items, depending on the kind of policy you take out:

  • Kitchen appliances
  • Items of furniture
  • Clothes and jewellery, including wedding rings and dresses
  • TVs, stereos and games consoles
  • Mobile phones, tablets and computers
  • Collectables like antiques, ornaments and works of art
  • Bicycles
  • Guitars, keyboards and other instruments

Keep in mind you won't be covered for damage resulting from wear and tear or if the goods were faulty – in the latter case, you should contact the provider or manufacturer. Single-item limits will apply, so you may need to declare anything valued at over £1,000 for it to be properly covered.

Our flexible policies also come with optional additional cover

You can tailor your cover when you purchase through MoneySuperMarket, with several options to add additional cover to your policy.

  • clock icon

    Out-of-home cover

    Insures your belongings against damage or theft when you're out and about

  • search icon

    Accidental damage cover

    Adds protection against damage caused unintentionally in your home

  • insurance icon

    Legal cover

    Provides cover for certain legal costs relating to your tenancy, such as contract or tax disputes

Get covered in as little as two minutes

  • clock icon

    We'll calculate the cover you need

    Select the belongings you have and if you need cover for one month or 12

  • search icon

    Review the value

    We'll estimate the default value of your belongings, but you can change it as you need

  • insurance icon

    Tell us about yourself

    Then you'll just need to answer seven simple questions to get a quote

Michelle Jones

Our expert says

"We understand that renters can feel standard contents insurance isn't relevant to them, so we've built a brand new channel specifically for people who are renting their property. We want to ensure that the items they value are covered in and out of their home with the right policies for them. Knowing that renters can move home more regularly, we have also ensured that there are options for paying per month and cancelling at any time, as well as no admin fees for changing your address or adding new items to your policy."

- Michelle Jones, Home Insurance Lead


The main difference between buying home insurance as a homeowner and as a renter is the type of cover you'll need to take out. If you own your home you'll want to insure the building itself as well as what's inside, but if you're renting then covering the building isn't your responsibility.

Your landlord should have their own insurance policy, which will cover any damage to the building resulting from a flood, fire or explosion, or a burglary. If they've provided any of their own furniture for the property, this will come under their contents insurance policy – you'll only need to think about your belongings.

This is where renters insurance comes in so useful. With MoneySuperMarket all you need to do is tell us which belongings you want to insure and for how long – remember to specify anything worth over £1,000 – and we'll show you your prices.

To calculate the amount of cover you'll need with your renters policy try to estimate the cost of replacing your belongings if they were destroyed or stolen. You should try to be as accurate as you can – especially with more expensive items – to ensure you're quoted for the level of cover you need.

Any of your belongings that cost over £1,000 will need to be declared separately, but you will still be covered if you want to insure your jewellery, designer clothes or expensive musical instruments. However your premiums will likely be more expensive as a result.

If you work from home, your renters insurance policy might extend to your work laptop or phone, however any more expensive equipment might require a separate business insurance policy.

Most insurers will cover you for a set period of time if you're on holiday, around 30 days in most cases, but any longer and you might have to take out an extra policy for unoccupied home insurance. Remember to tell your insurer if you're going away for more than the limit defined in your policy, as if you don't you may not be able to claim.

Your renters insurance policy will cover your belongings whether you live in a flat or a house – just be sure to tell the insurer beforehand, as it might affect your ability to make a claim if you don't.

Premiums might be higher if you live in student accommodation, but some providers do offer specialist policies for students.

Your landlord should at least having a buildings insurance policy in place to cover the structure of the property if it becomes damaged. However if they've provided furniture for the property, they'll also need a contents insurance policy to cover it.

Your landlord's home insurance policy may include accidental damage contents cover if your rented accommodation is furnished by the landlord. This means they'll be able to claim if you unintentionally damage anything they have provided for the property. If they don't have this policy then they'll probably recoup the cost from your security deposit.

Your landlord might also have an alternative accommodation policy, which means if the property becomes inhabitable, their insurer will pay out for the cost of finding you a new place to live until you make new arrangements or can move back in.

Explore more renters insurance

Renters insurance guides - Renters insurance providers


You work hard to earn your money, and we don’t think you should waste a penny of it paying over the odds on your household bills. That’s why at MoneySuperMarket, we’re on a mission to save Britain money.

  • Whip your credit score into shape with Credit Monitor
  • Super save over and over again with Energy Monitor
  • There are always more ways to save with MoneySuperMarket 

So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy something, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from.

You might be wondering if we work with all the companies in the market, or if our commercial relationships with our partners might make us feature one company above another. We’ve got nothing to hide, and we want to give you clear answers when it comes to questions like these, so we’ve pulled together everything you need to know on this page.


We aim to show you home insurance quotes from as many insurance companies as possible, so that you can find the right policy for you.

Unfortunately, we can’t promise to show quotes from every insurance provider, because not all companies want to be included on comparison websites.

We won’t offer you advice or make a recommendation, but we will provide you with all the information you need to help you decide which is the right policy for you.

You can find out more about how we work here.

Looking for home insurance?

It's fast, free and simple!