The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) publishes travel advice and tips on every country worldwide to help British nationals stay safe abroad, including advice on countries and areas that should be avoided because they are deemed dangerous.
It’s not just war and conflict zones such as Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan that are on the FCO list of places where they advise against “all but essential travel” or “all travel”.
With the rise of civil and political unrest, as well as acts of terrorism, trouble can happen anywhere in the world and at very short notice, even in popular travel and holiday destinations such as Egypt, Turkey, Kenya and closer to home in Europe.
Many people are not aware that if you travel to a country or region against FCO advice this can invalidate your travel insurance cover as you are intentionally putting yourself at risk by travelling somewhere considered dangerous.
Nevertheless, each year 100,000s of people travel to these areas on business, work, volunteering, visiting friends or relatives and even on holiday.
This is why MoneySuperMarket have teamed up with High Risk Voyager to offer online travel insurance that provides cover to high risk destinations worldwide, including war zones, conflict zones and any area that is on the FCO Travel Advice list.
What cover is provided by High Risk Voyager?
High Risk Voyager is a flexible travel insurance policy designed in close consultation with leading travel insurance experts and with professionals operating at the frontline of worldwide travel risk management and personal security in fragile environments.
It provides cover and 24/7 emergency medical assistance service when travelling on business, work, study, volunteering or leisure to a high risk destination including countries and regions where the FCO has advised ‘against all but essential travel’ or ‘all travel’ – something which is normally excluded by standard travel insurance policies.
The policy can cover travel worldwide, including insurance for travel to, or through, Syria, Afghanistan, Somalia, Libya, Yemen, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, North Korea and Cuba.
In summary High Risk Voyager provides the following cover:
- Choice of up to 4 Territorial Zones of Cover including war, crisis and disaster relief zones.
- Choice of 2 levels of cover, Standard up to £300,000 or Enhanced up to £1,000,000 for Emergency Medical Treatment overseas, including Repatriation and Evacuation, Hospitalisation, Surgery and Out-Patient treatment.
- Political and Natural Disaster Evacuation up to £2,500 Standard or £5,000 Enhanced.
- Return Trip (following Emergency Medical Evacuation) up to £2,500 Standard or £5,000 Enhanced.
- Visitor To Bedside – Travel & Accommodation Expenses up to £2,500 Standard or £5,000 Enhanced.
- Additional Accommodation, Food and Travel Costs, Emergency Dental Treatment and Physiotherapy.
- Personal Accident Cover up to £10,000 Standard or £15,000 Enhanced.
- Plus cover for Identification and Repatriation of Remains, Hospitalisation Benefit, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Assessment and Counselling following a Hostile Event, as well as Hijack, Mugging, Piracy and Wrongful Detention cover.
- Includes One Tap Emergency App and Pre-Travel Country Profile Information.
Additional optional cover is available for:
- Enhanced Personal Accident cover up to £100,000 that includes Home Modification Benefit and Dependent Child Benefit.
- Non-Medical Travel Coverage including up to: £1,500 Baggage and Personal Effects, £250 Camera Equipment, £500 Loss of Passport & Travel Documents, £500 Travel Delay, £750 Missed Departure or connection, £500,000 Personal Liability and £10,000 Legal Expenses.
- Cancellation, Trip Interruption and Disruption up to £1,500.
Quotes and cover can be provided instantly online and cover can be bought before departure or even if you have already departed (subject to terms).
The maximum standard excess (the amount you pay towards a claim) is £250.
Who normally buys High Risk Voyager Travel Insurance?
High Risk Voyager travel insurance is usually bought by individuals or groups on business or work trips (including journalism, media teams, cameramen, frontline news gatherers and reporters, humanitarian, aid, disaster and relief work, conservation, research, voluntary, missionary, religious work and charitable programmes including teaching, study and education travel and Non-Governmental Organisations) for travel to destinations that are felt to be more hazardous than a normal leisure or business trip destination, or countries and areas where the FCO have advised against ‘all but essential travel’ or ‘all travel’, or where there are high cost areas such as the USA.
Business, work and volunteering single trips can be covered for up to 365 days duration, and leisure trips without a business or work element are covered up to a maximum of 31 days. No war cover is provided for leisure trips that do not attach to a work or business trip.
Who is eligible to buy High Risk Voyager?
High Risk Voyager is available to UK and EEA residents, including residents of overseas EEA Dependent Territories, aged 18 years or cover and not yet 70 years of age.
If you are travelling with your parent, guardian or a legally responsible adult the minimum age is reduced to over 14 days old.
You must not be a full time, part-time or temporary serving member of any military or paramilitary force on active duty.
What else do I need to know about High Risk Voyager?
You can either buy High Risk Voyager travel insurance for a single trip (up to 365 days on Business or Work trips or 31 days for Leisure Trips) or as an Annual Multi Trip policy (For Zones B, C or D), providing cover for an unlimited number of separate trips during a 12-month period (maximum length of any one trip of 31 days).
Cover can be bought by individuals or groups (discounts available online for groups of 5+). Discounts are also given for travellers that have received formal risk management travel training or advice prior to departure.
Maximum age at start or renewal of cover is under 70 years of age.
Cover is available for any country or region worldwide, although trips to the USA are limited to maximum of 89 days.
Exclusions and restrictions apply to pre-existing medical conditions, refer to Important Conditions Relating to Health within the policy wording for further details as to limited cover available subject to terms for unexpected acute recurrence of a pre-existing medical condition(s).
How much does it cost?
Starts at £28.09 (exc. IPT) for individual Standard cover for a 7-day single trip to Zone D (worldwide including USA, but excluding countries and areas listed in Zone A,B and C), or £80.88 for an Annual Multi-Trip Policy.
£50.55 (exc. IPT) if travelling to Zone A on business or work, which includes war and conflict zones such as Afghanistan, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Ukraine and Yemen.
How do I get a quote or arrange cover?
It’s quick and easy to get an instant quote 24/7 for High Risk Voyager travel insurance. Premiums and benefits are available in GBP£ / Euro€ or USD$ determined by the currency in which you pay your premium.
Simply click here to go to the secure online quote-and-buy facility.
High Risk Destination Cover from £28.09*
Protect yourself and your trip with High Risk Voyager, the UK’s first travel insurance policy for travel to high risk destinations and countries on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s advised-against travel list (including warzones).
* Based on a High Risk Voyager Standard Cover single trip of up to 7 days Zone D worldwide excluding Zone A,B & C (exc IPT). See policy details for a full cover and policy options including a list of countries by Zone.