Short term bike insurance

What is short-term motorbike insurance?

By on

Short-term motorbike insurance is designed to provide you with cover that lasts from as little as one day to around 28 days, depending on your needs.

You might choose to take out short-term motorbike insurance because you’ve been lent a bike you’ll be riding temporarily, because you are going on a day trip using someone else’s motorcycle or because you’ve bought your own bike and just need one-day cover that will allow you to transport it before your annual insurance policy is activated.

Short-term motorbike insurance works in just the same way as any other motor insurance policy you might buy.

You’ll probably be able to choose from third party, third party fire and theft or fully comprehensive cover, and you will have to agree to pay an excess in the event you make a claim. (This is the amount you have to pay towards the cost of making a claim.)

As with ordinary insurance cover, your premium will be calculated based on risk - meaning that your personal circumstances and driving history will be taken into account when the price of your policy is calculated.

Anyone under the age of 21 might find it difficult, or prohibitively expensive, to buy short-term motorbike insurance.

It’s also important to be aware that any temporary insurance policy you purchase might automatically renew after the initial term of the policy is over - so make sure you cancel it if you don’t need it to continue.

Is there anything I need to know before buying temporary motorbike insurance?

Yes. You need to be aware that temporary motor insurance - whether for a car, van or motorbike - is no substitute for annual insurance if you own and keep a vehicle. This applies even if the vehicle is only used very occasionally.

In other words, it is not possible to buy short-term motorbike insurance whenever you wish to use your bike, leaving it uninsured and in your garage (or on your drive) for the remainder of the time.

Under the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) rules introduced in 2011, it is illegal to keep a vehicle that is not continuously insured unless it has been registered with the DVLA as off the road via a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

If you don’t follow these rules, you could face a fine of up to £1,000 and even the destruction of your motorbike if you ride it on the road without continuous insurance in place.

How can I get the best deal on short-term bike insurance?

Comparing different short-term motorbike insurance policies on the basis of their price, and the protection they offer, is the best way to make sure you get good value for money.

Did you find this helpful? Why not share this article?


View all articles >

Popular bike insurance guides

View all guides >