Can I get van insurance as a young driver?
You’ll be able to get cover for driving your van as a young driver, however some providers may have an age limit on who can take out a policy. You can also be named as an additional driver on another driver’s policy, such as a parent or guardian.
How much does van insurance cost for young drivers?
The price you’ll pay for van insurance as a young driver will vary depending on the policy you want to take out, the insurer you go to, and the van you’re insuring. However you can generally expect any quotes you get to be pricier than the average van insurance policy.
This is because young drivers are statistically more likely to be involved in an incident on the road, making them a higher claim risk. Insurers generally see anyone aged between 17 and 24 as a young driver.
How can I get a cheaper van insurance quote for young drivers
If you’re a young driver there are things you can do to help lower the cost of van insurance:
- Lower insurance groups: If you’ve got a pick of vans, choosing one in a lower insurance group can help reduce your premiums
- Lower mileage: Reducing the time your van spends on the road can also help lower insurance costs, as it will mean you’re less likely to have to claim on your policy
- Excess: Excess is the amount you pay towards your claim before your insurer covers the rest. If you can, choosing to pay a higher voluntary excess can reduce the amount you’ll pay in premiums
- Security: Improving the security features of your van, and keeping it off the streets in a locked garage, can reduce the chances of the van being stolen or damaged. This will reduce the likelihood of you having to claim, and therefore help cut the cost of cover
- Telematics: Telematics or Black Box insurance is when your insurer installs a device in your car that lets them track your driving habits. They’ll be able to keep a closer eye on how you drive, so they can set the premiums accurately and adjust them when they need to. If you can show you’re a sensible driver with a Black Box in your van, your premiums may come down
Compare van insurance quotes for young drivers
If you’re a young driver looking for van insurance, comparing quotes with MoneySuperMarket can help you find the best deal possible. All you need to do is give us a few details about yourself, your driving history, and the van you want to insure.
We’ll then be able to show you a list of quotes tailored to your needs, so you can compare deals by important factors such as monthly and annual cost, excess payments, and level of cover. Once you’ve compared and found the deal you want, just click through to the provider to finalise your purchase.
Remember you shouldn’t automatically go for the cheapest available policy – it’s better to aim for a balance between price and level of cover. This way you’ll find a policy that suits you perfectly, without risking being over- or under-insured.