What If... I’ve lost my V5C logbook

A V5C, or vehicle logbook, is the DVLA document that proves you are the registered keeper. Here’s what to do if you think you may have lost yours...

V5C book

Save money on your car insurance

Start a quote

Lost your V5C? Don’t panic – here’s what to do.

You can apply for a new V5C by phone or post. Replacing a lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed V5C will set you back £25.

You can apply by post by filling in a V62 form, or over the phone if none of your details have changed.

If you bought a car and never received the V5C, you’ll not need to pay the £25 fee. To get a new V5C in this instance, you’ll have to apply by post by sending off a V62 and the V5C/2 – that’s the green ‘new keeper’ slip.

You can sell or scrap your car even if you don’t have the V5C. Just send a signed letter to DVLA outlining the vehicle’s registration number, make, model, the date of sale and the new keeper’s details.

Did you enjoy that? Why not share this article

Take control of your energy bills

Our handy tips and tools will help make sure you never overpay again

Popular guides