Whether you’re in the market for a phone with a massive high resolution screen, a little model you can fit in your top pocket, or something in between, there’s an iPhone for you.
In this guide, we’ll take a look the different iPhones currently available, and see how they compare in size – so you can find out which one is best for you.
iPhone size comparison chart
Here’s how the latest few iPhone models compare in terms of size – from dinky iPhone minis to the vast Pro Maxes.
146.7 x 71.5 x 7.7mm
iPhone 13 mini
131.5 x 64.2 x 7.7mm
iPhone 13 Pro
146.7 x 71.5 x 7.7mm
iPhone 13 Pro Max
160.8 x 78.1 x 7.7mm
iPhone SE (2022 or 2022)
138.4 x 67.3 x 7.3mm
146.7 x 71.5 x 7.4mm
iPhone 12 mini
131.5 x 64.2 x 7.4mm
iPhone 12 Pro
146.7 x 71.5 x 7.4mm
iPhone 12 Pro Max
160.8 x 78.1 x 7.4mm
Find the latest iPhone deals
Which iPhone is the biggest, and which has the largest screen?
1. iPhone 14 Pro Max - 6.7 -inch screen. Currently the biggest and best iPhone available, released in 2022.
2. iPhone 13 Pro Max – 6.7-inch screen. Currently the biggest and best iPhone available, released in 2021. See iPhone 13 Pro Max deals.
3. iPhone 12 Pro Max – 6.7-inch screen. This is the previous year’s large choice of iPhone, with dimensions almost the same as the 13 Pro Max. Specs are a year behind, meaning its price is a little lower too. See iPhone 12 Pro Max deals.
4. iPhone XS Max – 6.5-inch screen. The XS Max is a 2018 model – which again means lower specs and a lower price. It’s a good way to get a larger sized iPhone without breaking the bank. See iPhone XS Max deals.
5. iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro – 6.1-inch screens. This is currently the standard size of iPhone screen, and at just over six inches it’s large enough to handle most tasks with ease.
For the biggest screen options available on an iPhone right now, look for any with ‘Max’ in the name. These are the largest handsets of all, featuring displays up to a formidable 6.7 inches. They’re quite hefty to hold, and that extra screen real estate makes it easier to watch videos, view photos, and play games.
Next up, take a look at standard-sized iPhones, including both the regular models of each set and the Pro models.
The equivalent iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 models are nearly identical in terms of handset dimensions too, though those in the iPhone 12 set are ever so slightly thinner.
Which iPhone is the smallest?
Apple has discontinued its iPhone mini range (devices with a display below 6 inches) with the iPhone 14 range, and replaced it with the ‘Plus’ phones. So if you’re someone who thinks that when it comes to phones, the smaller the better, you may want to stick with an older handset, such as the iPhone 13 or 12 mini.
1. iPhone 12 mini – 5.4-inch screen. The smallest iPhone currently available in terms of physical dimensions, released in 2020. See iPhone 12 mini deals.
2. iPhone 13 mini – 5.4-inch screen. The chassis is very, very slightly bigger than the iPhone 12 mini, but that means there’s room for the more modern 2021 tech. See iPhone 13 mini deals.
3. iPhone SE (2022) – 4.7-inch screen. It’s a little bit bigger in dimensions than the mini models, even though it has a smaller display – because there’s a circular button beneath it. See iPhone SE (2022) deals.
4. iPhone SE (2020) – 4.7-inch screen. The previous model of iPhone SE. The specs aren’t quite as good, but that means you can get it for a lower price. See iPhone SE (2020) deals.
‘Mini’ models are your best choice for a small-sized iPhone. They measure 131.5mm tall and feature a 5.4-inch display – still a significantly larger screen than the older iPhones of yore. But inside, you’ll find almost identical specs to the current standard iPhone models.
If you do miss those older iPhones, of course, the iPhone SE may take your fancy. These modern iPhones, released in 2022 or 2020 depending which one you choose, look like classic iPhone handsets with a round, physical button sitting under the screen. But, being recent releases, they come packing some excellent tech, including powerful processors and top drawer cameras.
Why are iPhones getting larger?
For several years, there was a trend that saw each generation of iPhone getting bigger and bigger. The same was true for other manufacturers too, such as Samsung or HTC.
Part of the reason for that growth over the years was the addition of extra features – such as 5G, bigger batteries to run the more powerful processors, and impressive camera lenses.
Plus, the way people use smartphones changed. Having a screen large enough to see videos clearly, play games easily, and use your phone in place of a desktop computer became a priority for a good number of smartphone users.
However, that trend seems to no longer be the case. Each clutch of new iPhones now has a variety of sizes. It tends to include a main model, a larger Pro Max model, and a smaller mini model.
What are the benefits of a larger iPhone?
- Bigger screen means more room for tasks like watching videos, viewing documents, and editing photos
- Great for playing games – you’re less likely to tap the wrong place
- Tend to be ‘Pro’ models, meaning the highest iPhone specs available
- Easier to see, and you can set text to a bigger font
- May be easier to use if you’re mobility impaired
What are the benefits of a smaller iPhone?
- Fits in pockets and bags better
- Easier to use if you have smaller hands
- Can choose the little iPhone SE if you prefer the classic iPhone design with a physical button
- Cheaper than standard and Pro models
- Battery often lasts longer on small-screened models, because the display uses less power
Our expert says...
What’s handy about choosing an Apple for a handset is that there are so many iPhone size options for each iteration, which you can choose depending on how you like to use your phone. And within that, if screen size is important to you, you can have some control on how much you spend without compromising on that, as most ranges have similar dimensions, so you can get an older phone for less, and still have the screen-size you want. - Charlotte Burns