MBNA offers several credit cards, some with long interest-free periods.
MBNA is a trusted specialist provider of credit cards and loans with millions of customers. They were voted Moneyfacts Consumer Credit Card Provider of the Year six years running from 2014 until 2019.
How do MBNA credit cards compare?
MBNA offers several types of credit card, though the exact terms you get for each will depend on your personal circumstances, especially your credit rating. It offers the following features:
- Security: MBNA has a suite of fraud monitoring services, and its cards deploy Visa Secure and MasterCard Identity Check. You won’t be liable for confirmed fraudulent transactions
- Online and mobile banking: The MBNA app lets you log in with your fingerprint or Face ID, and lets you manage your account, including paying off balances and freezing it on the go
- Regulation: MBNA is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Purchases of over £100 and up to £30,000 are protected under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974
Am I eligible for an MBNA credit card?
MBNA has clear eligibility criteria for each of its cards, though the offer you get will depend on your particular circumstances. This is what you need:
- Be a UK resident aged 18 or over with a regular annual income – you can’t be unemployed or be a student
- Provide at least three years’ UK address history, an email address and a phone number
- Have a main bank account
- Have no County Court Judgements (CCJs), Individual Voluntary Agreements (IVAs) or bankruptcies
Your chances of being accepted for an MBNA credit card will depend on a range of factors – most of which come together to make up your credit score. You’ll get better rates if you have a history of responsible borrowing than you will if you’ve missed loan repayments or even defaulted in the past.
The best way to take control of your credit score is with MoneySuperMarket’s free Credit Monitor tool. You can use it to find out what your credit score is, and to work out simple ways to improve it. Once you have a better handle on your score, you should find it easier to get better deals on credit cards.
How long does it take to get a MBNA credit card?
It only takes a few minutes to provide us with the information we need to access your credit score, and for us to find deals for you – and doing so won’t affect your credit score. After that we’ll direct you to the provider, who will test your eligibility and ask you to make a full application – which shouldn’t take long.
Approval is not guaranteed, but the decision is usually quite quick. If you are approved, your MBNA credit card and PIN should arrive in the post within seven working days.
Sometimes an application is flagged for a manual evaluation, which can take a few days extra.
How do I apply for a MBNA credit card?
MoneySuperMarket is free and independent. Our credit card comparison tool is a great way to apply for a MBNA credit card. It’s simple: you give us a few details about yourself and your circumstances, and we scour our providers for the best deals available to you, including APR and credit limit. You then pick the one you like best.