Aside from supplying British homes with gas and electricity, Shell Energy offers easy to understand broadband packages, too. Here’s everything you need to know…
You might not necessarily put ‘Shell Energy’ and ‘broadband’ together. After all, Shell is synonymous with gas and electricity deals.
But in recent years, it’s entered into the broadband market and, we have to say, we’re suitably impressed with the comprehensive, mid-priced internet and phone packages it has to offer.
On this page, we’ll show you what’s available, delve into the pros and cons, and show you how to get the best deals for you and your family.
Let’s take a look…
Why choose Shell Energy broadband?
If you’re looking for simple, easy to understand broadband pages, Shell Energy is well worth a look.
Standout features include a decent selection of ADSL, fibre optic and Ultrafast broadband packages. All are priced in-line with other major providers, plus there’s special discounts for energy customers in the form of Shell Go+
And all packages come with unlimited usage – so you can download as much as you want without worrying about unwanted charges or slowing your connection.
Our best Shell Energy broadband deals this week
*Average speeds are based on the download speeds of at least 50% of customers at peak time(8pm to 10pm). Speed can be affected by a range of technical and environmental factors. The speed you receive where you live may be lower than that listed above. You can check the estimated speed to your property prior to purchasing.
What broadband packages can I get from Shell Energy broadband?
Each of Shell Energy’s five broadband packages come with an 18-month contract and unlimited downloads. Plus, you’ll get a WiFi router at no extra cost.
There’s three base packages to choose from:
- Fast Broadband: with average speeds of 11Mbps and unlimited downloads, Fast Broadband is perhaps best suited to smaller households. We’re talking one or two people. Any more and you may find the connection lags.
- Superfast Fibre: offers average speeds of 35Mbps, and comes with unlimited downloads. Unlike the packages above, it’s fibre optic, which means a quicker and more reliable connection. Ideal for larger households.
- Superfast Fibre Plus: gives you 63Mbps fibre optic broadband speeds – in-line with most other UK fibre optic broadband offerings. It’s a good option if you live in a large household, with several different devices in use at once.
And if you’re after an even faster connection, check out Shell Energy’s Ultrafast broadband options:
- Ultrafast Fibre: 140Mbps average download speeds.
- Ultrafast Fibre Plus: 290Mbps average download speeds.
Each package comes with pay-as-you-go calls as standard. But there’s a decent range of call packages available for landline users:
- Evening and Weekends Plus – includes calls to 01,02 and 03 numbers, plus standard UK mobile calls from Monday to Friday, between 7pm and 7am and from midnight Friday to midnight Sunday.
- Anytime Plus – offers calls to 01,02 and 03 numbers, along with standard UK mobile calls any all day.
- International – gives you 600 inclusive minutes to landlines in 40 countries. There’s also a 75% discount on calls to mobiles in 40 countries, plus a 50% discount on other international calls.
Can I get Shell Energy broadband deals in my area?
Like most of the UK’s biggest broadband providers, Shell Energy piggybacks on the Openreach network to deliver broadband to the home.
As such, it’s broadly available across the country – though you’ll need to enter your postcode below to find out for sure if you can get it in your area.
Compare broadband deals in your area
What’s good about Shell Energy broadband?
- Decent selection of broadband packages available
- No charges upfront
- Line rental included
- Unlimited downloads
- Exclusive discounts for Shell energy customers through Shell Go Plus
What’s bad about Shell Energy broadband?
- Not as widely available as other major providers
- No TV packages available
Shell Energy broadband setup
Generally, Shell Energy broadband won’t charge you for setup. However, if your property doesn’t currently have a phoneline installed, you may need to pay £60 for an engineer to come and install one.
Is there a Shell Energy broadband installation fee?
As we say, Shell Energy broadband usually doesn’t charge for installation. The only exception is if you need a new phone line installed. In this case, be prepared to pay around £60 for engineer visit.
Shell Energy broadband customer service
If you have any problems with your Shell Energy broadband service, you can get in touch with a member of its customer service team on 0330 094 5801. At the time of writing, lines are open from 8am to 6:30 weekdays, and 9am to 4pm on Saturdays.
Can I get Shell Energy broadband without a landline?
Yes. You’ll need an active landline to use Shell Energy broadband. Thais is because it shares the Openreach network with providers such as BT and Sky.
If you don’t have a line already, Shell Energy will need to put one in for you. This will likely cost around £60.
What Shell Energy broadband speeds can I get?
Shell Energy broadband offers speeds that range from 11Mbps right up to a whopping 290Mbps.
To find out if Shell Energy is available in your area, and what speeds you can get, enter your postcode into our postcode checker.
How much is Shell Energy broadband?
Shell Energy offers mid-range broadband packages, mostly in-line with other major UK broadband providers.
If you want cheaper, both Plusnet and TalkTalk offer cheaper standard broadband options at the time of writing.