Skip to content

What are TA forms?

Joe Minihane
Written by  Joe Minihane
Jonathan Leggett
Reviewed by  Jonathan Leggett
5 min read
Updated: 25 Apr 2024

TA forms contain critical information about property purchases. We help you get to grips with all the different types of transaction forms to help smooth the buying process.

TA forms, also known as transaction forms, are a cornerstone of the house-sale process. If you are selling your home, you are obliged to fill out certain TA forms and advised to fill out others in order to speed up the process.

If you are a first-time buyer or even buying a home after many previous house purchases, TA forms can tell you everything you need to know about your prospective new property, from recent building work to disputes with the neighbours.

There are multiple TA forms, which your solicitors will provide, for you to complete and return.

It is a good idea to understand them and complete them as fully as possible, so that your move goes smoothly.

What are the different TA forms?

There are eight different TA forms. Not all of them are mandatory or relate to every single sale, but it’s a good idea to be across which ones you will need to fill out when it comes to the sale of your property.

TA4 required commonhold information

This form must be completed by those selling a commonhold property. A commonhold is like a leasehold, but does not have a time limit.

Check any documents from when you purchased your property to find out if you have a commonhold, leasehold or freehold. The latter pair are more common.

TA6 Property Information Form

This is perhaps the best known TA form. The TA6 is also called Sellers' Property Information Form (SPIF) and is an extensive document which is required for all purchases.

It covers every detail about the property being sold including

  • Details about the boundaries

  • Information about any disputes with neighbours

  • Details on recent building works (including the need for certificates if applicable)

  • Gas, boiler and electricity safety certificates

  • Whether there are risks from flooding or other natural disasters

  • Planned completion dates

  • Details on the utility companies which service the property

Safety documents and certificates must also be included, as this will help speed up the sale and give buyer’s confidence that everything is in working order.

TA7 leasehold form

If you are selling a property that is leasehold, a TA7 form must be completed. You will need to include details of:

  • How long the lease is

  • How much ground rent you pay

  • Details of the landlord and management company

TA8 new home information form

Designed for new homes, this form is meant for developers. As such, it will include details for buyers on:

  • Any further developments locally

  • When utilities will be connected

  • Confirmation on the delivery of an energy performance certificate

It will also include any safety guarantees.

TA9 commonhold information form

Alongside the required TA4 form for commonhold properties, the TA9 requires sellers to divulge details of:

  • The commonhold association

  • Any reserved funds

  • Insurance

  • Usage of common areas

  • Any complaints and any rights which developers might have

TA10 fittings and contents form

The TA10 acts as an inventory of the property being sold, detailing what is being included in the sale and what is not.

It isn’t necessarily mandatory, but is almost always required by a solicitor.

The form is broken down by room, allowing you to say what will be staying and offered for sale and what will leave with you.

Fixtures and fittings are likely to remain, while white goods may not.

TA13 completion information and undertakings

This essential TA form comes towards the end of the sales process. It details for the buyer information on:

  • The precise amount that needs to be transferred to complete the purchase

  • Additional property information

  • What documents will be passed across once the process is complete

TA15 commonhold information request form

The TA15 is used in the sale of commonhold property whenever the buyer requires additional information.

block of flats

Are all TA forms mandatory?

If you are a first-time buyer or simply looking for a first mortgage, TA forms can feel daunting.

But the fact is that you are unlikely to have to complete every form, especially if you are not buying a new home or aren’t looking to purchase a commonhold property.

If you are buying your first home, you can expect to receive TA6, TA10 and TA13, as well as TA7 if you are buying a leasehold property.

Likewise, when it comes to selling a regular residential property, these are the forms you can expect to have to complete in order to get your sale in order.

How do I get my TA forms?

If you are selling, your solicitor will send you the TA forms to complete. If you are buying, your solicitor will send you the completed copies from the vendor for you to assess.

If you have any queries, you can direct these to your solicitor, who will take up your case for you.

Other useful guides

Compare mortgages with MoneySuperMarket

Looking for first-time buyer mortgage to take your first step on the property ladder? Or perhaps you're looking to remortgage?

Either way, it’s easy to find and compare mortgages from a range of leading lenders with MoneySuperMarket.

Whether you’re looking for a fixed-rate, a tracker, or a discount mortgage, our mortgage comparison tool can help you find a great deal for you.

We’ll just ask you a few questions about the property you’re looking to buy or remortgage and how much you’ll need to borrow.

We’ll then show you results including the initial interest rate and your monthly repayments and any product fees you’ll be asked to pay.

Compare mortgages now
Find a mortgage