Updating your car insurance and driving licence details

Updating your car insurance to reflect your new address isn't a big job; there are just a few things you need to look out for when you do it so that everything goes smoothly.

Woman and man driving a car

Save money on your car insurance

Start a quote

Here’s a run-down of the items associated with your car that you need to update and change when you relocate.

Car insurance

You might not think a house move would affect your car insurance, but you’d be wrong.

Insurers take your postcode into account when they set the premiums for car insurance, so you should contact your insurer immediately if you’re moving home.

There is a chance that your premium could fall. But equally, the cost of cover could also rise, perhaps if the new postcode is deemed more risky.

Precisely where you park at the new property will make a difference. If you’ve always parked on the street, say, but will from now on be parking on a drive or (best of all) in a garage, there’s a good chance you’ll end up paying less.

But if you’re losing off-street parking because of the move, expect your premium to suffer as a result.

Admin fees

The insurer will also almost certainly charge an admin fee to amend the address on your documents. That could cost you £25.

But don’t attempt to dodge the charge by keeping shtum about moving. If you don’t tell your insurer you could end up with an invalid policy that would not pay out in the event of a claim.

You can stick with the same insurer when you change address, or you could take the opportunity to shop around for a cheaper deal.

Just remember that you normally have to pay some sort of charge if you cancel your policy before the renewal date.

If you stay with your existing insurer till your next renewal, you should certainly shop around then – it’s important to let a wide range of insurers compete for your business under your changed circumstances.

Log book

When you move home, you have to update your V5C vehicle registration certificate, otherwise known as the log book.

The V5C is an important document because it registers the vehicle with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). You need the V5C in order to get a tax disc, and you’ll need it when you sell the vehicle, so it’s essential to keep it up to date.

The cost of cover could rise if the new postcode is deemed more risky

It’s easy to change the address on your log book. Simply write the new address in section 6 of your V5C, sign and date the declaration in section 8, then send the whole V5C to the DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.

The new V5C is free and should arrive within four weeks.

If you need to tax your vehicle within four weeks, you can take your V5C to the Post Office, where you can tax your vehicle and change your details at the same time.

Driver’s licence

You must also change the address on your driver’s licence – and you can make the amendments online for free at https://www.gov.uk/

You should receive the new licence within one week, and you can drive while you are waiting.

There are a number of companies that offer to apply for, renew or change your licence on your behalf. But please be aware that they charge a fee for their services – a fee you don’t need to pay if you tackle the admin yourself!

Please note: any rates or deals mentioned in this article were available at the time of writing. Click on a highlighted product and apply direct.


Save money on your car insurance

Start a quote

Did you enjoy that? Why not share this article

Take control of your energy bills

Our handy tips and tools will help make sure you never overpay again

Popular guides