Sainsbury’s credit card features
Sainsbury’s credit cards really come into their own when you use them at their supermarkets, but they have a lot of features that make them useful in any situation:
- 0% interest: Sainsbury’s cards have generous interest-free periods both for balance transfers and purchases – deals that are amongst the best in the market
- Nectar points: You need a Nectar account to access the best credit card deals, but it’s worth it. There are some exceptional opportunities to earn extra points in the first two months: the first 10 times you spend £35 or more in store you’ll earn 750 bonus points, up to a total of 7,500. You can also earn points by shopping at partner stores
- No card fees: Sainsbury’s does not charge monthly fees on any of its credit cards
- Additional cardholders: You can add friends and family to a share credit card account to earn extra Nectar points. The credit limit is shared between cardholders
- Online and mobile banking: Sainsbury’s offers a range of online and mobile banking options, including requesting increased credit limits and online balance transfers
- Regulation: Sainsbury’s is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, and its credit cards are protected by the Consumer Credit Act, meaning you’ll get a full refund if anything goes wrong on purchases worth between £100 and £30,000
Am I eligible for a Sainsbury’s credit card?
You must be a UK resident aged 18 or over to apply for a Sainsbury’s credit card. Whether you are approved will depend on a range of factors – most of which come together to make up your credit score. You’ll get a better deal – including longer interest-free periods and a lower APR – if you have a history of responsible borrowing than you will if you’ve missed loan repayments or even defaulted in the past.
The best way to take control of your credit score is with MoneySuperMarket’s free Credit Monitor tool. You can use it to find out what your credit score is, and to work out simple ways to improve it. Once you have a better handle on your score, you should find it easier to get better deals on credit cards.
How long does it take to get a Sainsbury’s credit card?
It only takes a few minutes to provide us with the information we need to access your credit score, and for us to find the correct deals – and doing so won’t affect your credit score. After that we’ll direct you to the provider, who will test your eligibility and ask you to make a full application – which shouldn’t take long.
Approval is usually automatic and quite quick, and your credit card and PIN should arrive in the post within seven working days.
Sometimes an application is flagged for a manual evaluation, which can take a few days extra.
How do I apply for a Sainsbury’s credit card?
MoneySuperMarket’s comparison tool is a great way to apply for a Sainsbury’s credit card. It’s simple: you give us a few details about yourself and your circumstances, and we scour our providers for the best deals available to you, including APR and credit limit. You then pick the one you like best.
We are free and independent, and offer exclusive deals you can't get anywhere else. Click here to get started with our comparison tool.
MoneySuperMarket is a credit broker – this means we’ll show you products offered by lenders. We never take a fee from customers for this broking service. Instead we are usually paid a fee by the lenders – though the size of that payment doesn’t affect how we show products to customers.