Skip to content

Business insurance for painters and decorators

Compare insurance for painters and decorators

  • Compare tailored quotes in minutes

  • Choose from public liability, professional indemnity, and more

  • Cover for sole traders and limited companies working on domestic and commercial jobs

Compare quotes tailored to your business needs

Do I need business insurance as a painter decorator?

Having insurance in place is highly recommended for painters and decorators. Mainly because when you're painting and decorating for a living, there are so many every day risks involved in transforming your clients' homes.

You're working up a ladder, surrounded by chemicals and power tools, where someone could easily fall or trip on site. Or you could accidentally spill paint on your client's flooring or furniture.

Plus, you've most likely bought all of your equipment yourself, which could be expensive to replace if it was lost, stolen, or damaged. This is why it's imperative that you invest in the right business insurance to cover any mishaps that may happen while you're on a job.

Do painters and decorators need public liability insurance?

Public liability insurance isn't required by UK law, but if you're considering taking out any form of insurance as a painter and decorator, public liability should take priority.

Some clients and contractors will request that you have public liability in place before you start working for them, but even if they don't require it, you should look into taking out a policy to protect yourself if you're involved in an incident.

If a client has an accident such as tripping over your ladders or unattended equipment, or complains about the quality of your work, public liability insurance will cover you if they wish to make a claim against you.

Depending on the level of cover you choose, a public liability policy includes:

  • Legal fees

  • Medical expenses

  • Financial compensation

  • Cost of repairs

  • Helpline support access

Public liability policies usually offer cover of up to £10 million, but this varies by insurance provider, so make sure you check your policy documents and ensure you have the right level of cover in place.

Are there other types of business insurance I might need?

Here are some more types of business insurance to consider if you're a painter and decorator:

  • Plus

    Employers' liability insurance

    Employers' liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ others. This protects employees if they hurt themselves whilst working for you.

  • Plus

    Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity will cover any legal costs and compensation if a client claims that negligence or a fault in your work resulted in a financial loss

  • Plus

    Personal accident cover

    This type of insurance offers compensation if you or any employees covered by the policy are injured or killed in an accident.

  • Plus

    Tool insurance

    Tool insurance offers protection for your tools and machinery, and will replace them in the event of loss, theft or damage.

  • Plus

    Income protection insurance

    Income protection insurance can help support you financially for a set period of time if you are unable to work due to sickness or injury.

  • Plus

    Business contents insurance

    If you have expensive equipment stored at your place of work, business contents insurance can provide extra cover and peace of mind.

  • Plus

    Critical illness insurance

    Critical illness insurance when added to life insurance offers a tax-free lump-sum payment if you’re diagnosed with a serious medical condition.

  • Plus

    Business life insurance

    Business life insurance provides a financial payout if a you or an important person within your business were to die, or suffer from a serious illness.

  • Plus

    Commercial van insurance

    Protect your work van and its contents with business van insurance. There are various levels of cover, so make sure you do your research to find the right option for you.

How much will it cost to insure my painter decorator business?

The cost of painter and decorator insurance will vary based on a few factors, including:

  • How much of a risk you are: this depends on the nature of the work you're in e.g. whether you work inside or outside, how high up you are on a ladder when you paint, and how big the site is that you're working on.

  • If you employ other staff: do you have other employees working for you or do you use casual labourers? If so, your insurance will be more expensive, as you will need employers' liability insurance.

  • The cost of your equipment: the more expensive and specialist your painting and decorating gear is, the more it will cost to cover it on an insurance policy.

You can compare quotes in minutes to get the right cover at the best cost for you and your business.

Join thousands of satisfied customers who compared insurance with us

4.9 out of 5240,777 reviews

Get tailored insurance quotes for your painter decorator business

Comparing insurance for your painting and decorating business with MoneySuperMarket is a quick and simple way to find an affordable deal on cover. Here's how to get your quotes:

  • Icon-Clipboard-110x110

    Tell us about your business

    Let us know about your business and what it does, and we'll find deals tailored to your requirements

  • search icon

    Check your requirements

    Choose your preferred options and compare offers for your business by cost, level of protection, and any extras that are available

  • Filter

    Choose the one you like

    Once you've found the right deal for you, just click through to the provider to finalise your purchase

While it isn’t a legal requirement to have business insurance as a painter and decorator, it is highly recommended to secure more work and protect yourself financially if your client or a member of the public makes a claim against you.

If you employ anyone else within your painting and decorating business, you are legally required to have employers' liability insurance. This type of insurance will cover you if your employee makes a claim if they injure themselves whilst working for you.

You can find the right insurance policy to suit your needs in minutes by following our quick and easy quote process. We’ll ask for a few details and then show you a range of quotes from major UK providers to suit your budget.

Yes, you can purchase tool insurance to help protect your painting and decorating tools and specialist equipment against loss, damage, and theft.

You work hard to earn your money, and we don’t think you should waste a penny of it paying over the odds on your household bills. That’s why at MoneySuperMarket, we’re on a mission to save Britain money. 

  • Whip your credit score into shape with Credit Monitor 

  • Super save over and over again with Energy Monitor 

  • There are always more ways to save with MoneySuperMarket  

So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy something, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from. 

You might be wondering if we work with all the companies in the market, or if our commercial relationships with our partners might make us feature one company above another. We’ve got nothing to hide, and we want to give you clear answers when it comes to questions like these, so we’ve pulled together everything you need to know on this page.