Skip to content

Compare quotes tailored to your business needs

Carpenter and joiner insurance

Compare insurance for carpenters and joiners

  • Compare quotes from major UK providers

  • Tailor your cover and choose from public liability, professional indemnity, and more

  • Includes sole traders and limited companies working on domestic and commercial properties


Do I need business insurance for my carpentry or joinery business?

If you employ people as part of your carpentry or joinery business, then it is a legal requirement for you to have employers' liability insurance. Any other type of business insurance is optional, but highly recommended for tradespeople.

As a carpenter or joiner, you'll often be dealing with members of the public. Imagine you're on a job and you accidentally damage expensive furniture or fixtures in a client's house. Or you fit a kitchen or lay flooring that isn't to their satisfaction.

Business insurance can help protect you financially and legally in situations like this so you don't have to pay compensation out of your own pocket. Business insurance packages for carpenters and joiners can also be tailored with optional cover for your tools, your business property, and even yourself.

Do carpenters and joiners need public liability insurance?

Public liability insurance isn't required by UK law, but it could be detrimental if you don't insure yourself as a carpenter or joiner.

Most local authorities will ask for a minimum public liability cover of £5 million before you can tender for work. If you're working as a subcontractor, your contractor may insist you have public liability insurance before hiring you.

More importantly, if a client, supplier, or member of the public suffers injuries or damage to their property as a result of the work you've done, public liability covers you for incidents big and small. Depending on the level of cover you choose, a public liability policy can include:

  • Legal fees

  • Medical expenses

  • Financial compensation

  • Cost of repairs

  • Helpline support access

Public liability policies often provide cover of up to £10 million, but this varies by insurance provider, so make sure you check your policy documents and ensure you have the right level of cover.

Are there other types of business insurance I might need?

Here are some more types of business insurance to consider if you're a carpenter or a joiner:

  • Plus

    Employers' liability insurance

    Employers' liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ others. This protects employees if they hurt themselves whilst working for you.

  • Plus

    Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity will cover any legal costs and compensation if a client claims that negligence or a fault in your work resulted in a financial loss

  • Plus

    Personal accident cover

    This type of insurance offers compensation if you or any employees covered by the policy are injured or killed in an accident.

  • Plus

    Tool insurance

    Tool insurance offers protection for your tools and machinery, and will replace them in the event of loss, theft or damage.

  • Plus

    Business building and contents

    If you have a workshop or commercial space with expensive tools and machinery stored there, you'll need commercial buildings insurance and business contents insurance.

  • Plus

    Income protection insurance

    Income protection insurance can help support you financially for a set period of time if you are unable to work due to sickness or injury.

  • Plus

    Critical illness insurance

    Critical illness insurance when added to life insurance offers a tax-free lump-sum payment if you’re diagnosed with a serious medical condition.

  • Plus

    Business life insurance

    Business life insurance provides a financial payout if a you or an important person within your business were to die, or suffer from a serious illness.

  • Plus

    Commercial van insurance

    Protect your work van and its contents with business van insurance. There are various levels of cover, so make sure you do your research to find the right option for you.

How much will it cost to insure my carpentry or joinery business?

The cost of carpentry or joinery business insurance will depend on a few factors:

  • How much cover you need

    You get to choose the maximum benefit your insurance will pay out. Higher limits will always cost more

  • If you have employees

    Insurance will usually be cheaper if you’re a sole trader compared to a Ltd company with employees

  • Your add-on cover

    Adding extra cover options like tool cover and business interruption cover will add to your premiums

Join thousands of satisfied customers who compared insurance with us

4.9 out of 5240,607 reviews

Get tailored insurance quotes for your carpentry or joinery business

Comparing insurance for your carpentry or joinery business with MoneySuperMarket is a quick and simple way to find an affordable deal on cover. Here's how to get your quotes:

  • Tell us about your business

    We'll need a few details about your business to start. Tell us whether you're self-employed, your annual turnover, and how long you've had your business

  • Check your requirements

    Choose your preferred options and compare offers for your business by cost, level of protection, and any extras that are available

  • Choose the one you like

    Once you've found the right deal for you, just click through to the provider to finalise your purchase

The only insurance you're legally required to have as a carpenter or joiner in the UK is employers' liability insurance, which you will need if you have anyone working for you. This also includes volunteers

While other types of carpenter insurance aren't a legal requirement to have, it is highly recommended to secure more work and protect yourself financially if your client or a member of the public makes a claim against you.

If you employ anyone else within your business, you are legally required to have employers' liability insurance. This type of insurance will cover you if your employee makes a claim if they injure themselves whilst working for you.

You can find the right insurance policy to suit your needs in minutes by following our quick and easy quote process. We’ll ask for a few details and then show you a range of quotes from major UK providers to suit your budget.

Yes, you can purchase tool insurance to help protect your carpentry tools and specialist equipment against loss, damage, and theft. If you take out business contents insurance as well, you're tools and equipment will also be protected from fire, theft, or flooding while they're stored in a commercial property.

You work hard to earn your money, and we don’t think you should waste a penny of it paying over the odds on your household bills. That’s why at MoneySuperMarket, we’re on a mission to save Britain money.

  • Whip your credit score into shape with Credit Monitor

  • Super save over and over again with Energy Monitor

  • There are always more ways to save with MoneySuperMarket 

So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy something, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from.

You might be wondering if we work with all the companies in the market, or if our commercial relationships with our partners might make us feature one company above another. We’ve got nothing to hide, and we want to give you clear answers when it comes to questions like these, so we’ve pulled together everything you need to know on this page.