- moneysupermarket.com join forces with BT, 3 and others to campaign for fairer call costs for all
- Mobile termination rates cost UK consumers billions of pounds each year
“By agreeing on a lower and more accurate cost for the mobile termination rate consumers would be getting a fairer deal and not paying over the odds for a charge that many of them aren't even aware exists. By working together we can help implement this change and speed up its introduction so everyone can benefit from the much needed savings as soon as possible.”
Individuals, organisations and businesses that wish to register their support, sign a petition or simply learn more about termination rates and the campaign for them to be reduced to a fair level should visit http://www.terminatetherate.org/Pages/Homepage.aspx
Notes to editors:
About the Terminate the Rate Campaign
- The Terminate the Rate campaign is open to all,
- The campaign’s supporters believe high Mobile Termination Rates are outdated, excessive and the biggest barrier to a better deal for UK phone users, both fixed and mobile.
- The campaign’s supporters believe MTRs should be reduced to a fair rate which we believe is around a penny or less.
- MTRs are currently set at more than 10-times the rate to call a mobile phone when compared to calling a fixed-line from a mobile.
- This has led to fixed-line customers paying more than £750 million last year to the mobile networks for something that costs a fraction of that to provide.
- Ofcom starts its consultation on the next phase of regulation of MTRs next week and will be looking at a range of options.
- The EC has called for regulators across Europe to reduce these rates to benefit consumers and to enhance competition.
Individuals, organisations and businesses that wish to register their support, sign a petition or simply learn more about termination rates and the campaign for them to be reduced to a fair level should visit www.terminatetherate.org