What animals does Sainsbury’s Bank cover?
Why choose Sainsbury’s Bank?
Sainsbury’s Bank pet insurance offers a range of benefits should you choose to apply:
- An extra discount on insurance for Nectar card holders*
- Double Nectar points on Sainsbury's shopping and fuel**
- Enjoy a discount of £1 per pet per month with a multi-pet policy †
- 24/7 helpline for professional veterinary advice with Vet Assistance.
Sainsbury’s dog and cat insurance policies are available with different cover levels so you can find the right policy for your pet.
What types of pet insurance does Sainsbury’s Bank offer?
Sainsbury’s Bank offers Lifetime cover through Moneysupermarket.com at three different cover levels (£2,500, £5,000 and £7,500). Lifetime pet insurance covers up to a maximum amount each year and if you renew your policy each year your pet will remain covered for new illnesses or injuries for the lifetime of the condition.
With Lifetime cover you can claim for multiple conditions at a time up to a maximum amount. The limit will reset every year that you have the policy (so long as there’s no break in cover) meaning your pet will be covered for unexpected accidents and illnesses as well as ongoing conditions.
For all three levels you are provided with cover for vet fees, advertising and reward, theft or straying, emergency expenses abroad as well as other benefits. You will also have access to a 24/7 veterinary advice helpline where you can speak to qualified vet nurses to discuss pet healthcare and issues.
In all these policies, pre-existing conditions – those that you have already seen a vet about in the past - are not covered and these need to be declared when you take out your policy. If you need cover for these, you will need to take out a specialist policy elsewhere.
Sainsbury’s Bank offers pet insurance for cats from eight weeks old and you can take out a new policy up until their tenth birthday. For dogs you can take out a pet insurance policy as soon as your dog is eight weeks old, up to their eighth birthday for most breeds, or their fifth birthday for select breeds.
Once you have your insurance with Sainsbury’s Bank you can continue to cover your pet up to any age if you continue to pay the premium without a break in cover.
For dogs only, you’ll have up to £2,000,000 of personal liability cover in case property is damaged, someone is injured or falls as a result of an incident involving your pet. Sainsbury’s Bank will agree to pay compensation, expenses and legal costs for defending a claim against you.
Contact Sainsbury’s Bank
If an incident occurs, you must notify Sainsbury’s Bank immediately. There are several ways to contact Sainsbury’s Bank pet insurance using the numbers or address below.
To make a claim you can either access the My Pet Portal at petinsuranceportal.sainsburysbank.co.uk or call 0344 543 1032
To renew or amend your policy call 0344 543 1032
To make a complaint call 0344 543 1032 or write to
Sainsbury's Bank Pet Insurance
Customer Relations Department
A1 Barnet Way
Note that standard rates and call charges apply. Lines are open 8am – 6pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 1pm on a Saturday.
Sainsbury's Bank plc, Registered Office, 33 Holborn, London EC1N 2HT (registered in England and Wales, no. 3279730) is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (register no. 184514). Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd is an appointed representative of Sainsbury's Bank plc.
Sainsbury's Bank plc acts as an introducer to Pinnacle Insurance plc who is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (register number 110866). Registered Office: Pinnacle House, A1 Barnet Way, Borehamwood, Hertfordshire, WD6 2XX. Sainsbury’s Bank plc and Pinnacle Insurance plc are not part of the same corporate group.
† Multi-pet discount is a minimum of £24 when insuring more than one pet as this is worked out at £1 per pet per month for each pet on a policy. Pets can have different cover levels. Discount deducted separately from any other offer.
** Double Nectar points
1) Only available to customers buying a new Sainsbury's Bank Pet Insurance policy.
2) You need to tell us your Nectar card number when you apply; and scan or swipe that card, or input your card number, with each Sainsbury’s purchase.
3) Double points begin on your policy's cover start date. If you don't tell us your Nectar card number until after your cover start date, double points will begin on the date you tell us.
4) Double points stop when the policy is cancelled or you stop paying premiums.
5) Each Nectar account can only collect points from one pet insurance policy.
6) It’s only the base points you collect at Sainsbury’s that are doubled. Bonus points won’t be doubled, nor will any points from Argos, Habitat, Sainsbury’s Bank (including travel money purchases), Sainsbury’s Energy or any other Sainsbury’s service.
7) By the 10th of each month, you'll get a bonus point award equal to the total of your qualifying points during the previous month, up to a maximum of 20,000 points.
8) Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd award the points from this offer. No cash alternative is available.
9) We reserve the right to change or cancel this offer without notice.
* Guaranteed discount for Nectar card holders: The discount is based on information related to you and the transactions you've made with Sainsbury's supermarkets and Sainsbury's Bank using your Nectar card. For more information go to sainsburysbank.co.uk/nectar.