What if... I lose my passport?

How do you deal with a lost passport? Watch this video to find out!

Compare travel insurance quotes

Start a quote

If your passport is lost or stolen, whether at home or abroad, you need to cancel it straight away.

Cancel your passport

You can cancel your passport either online or by filling out and posting an LS01 form, there’s more info at www.gov.uk/report-a-lost-or-stolen-passport.

Apply for a new passport

With that taken care of, you’ll need to get a new one – again, you can do this online www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport or use Post Office’s Check and Send service. In both cases, you’ll pay a fee.


It should take about three weeks for your new passport to arrive – possibly longer when demand is high.

If you’re replacing a lost or stolen passport, you might have to attend an interview which means your application could take longer.

Need it in a hurry? But what if you need it in a hurry?

If you need your passport in less than a month, you need to book an appointment at a Passport Customer Service Centre by calling, 0300 222 0000. Once you’ve had your appointment, you can get your passport on the same day or that week.

Premium one day services

If you need a new passport straight away, a Premium one-day service is available at the times shown on-screen now.

Belfast and Durham: 12.00pm

Glasgow and Newport: 12.30pm

Peterborough: 1.00pm

Liverpool: 1.30pm

London: 4.00pm

Again, there is an added cost involved and you can more information by visiting www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently.

Did you enjoy that? Why not share this article

Take control of your energy bills

Our handy tips and tools will help make sure you never overpay again

Popular guides