Looking to reduce your energy bills? Take a look at these 10 tips to get you started…
1. Turn off electrical appliances – leaving them on standby wastes energy and money. You could save around £30 a year by switching them off. Households with more gadgets could save even more.
2. Turn down the thermostat by a degree – it’s simple but it could reduce your energy bills by £75 each year. You probably won’t even notice the difference.
3. Get insulated – the Energy Saving Trust reckons cavity wall insulation could save you up to £245 per year, depending on what type of property you live in, and loft insulation could save you up to £215, again depending on your property. There’s an expensive initial outlay, though, so it could be a few years before it pays for itself.
4. Invest in a lagging jacket – to put on your hot water tank and make it more energy efficient. It’s a good idea to insulate pipes while you’re at it.
5. Wash clothes at 30 degrees instead of 40 – it’s easy to do and could easily reduce your energy bills. Most washing powders perform well at lower temperatures.
6. Descale your kettle – to make it work more efficiently and last longer. Fill the kettle with equal parts water and vinegar and let it soak for an hour. Rinse it out a few times before using it again.
7. Replace your light bulbs – replacing traditional light bulbs with an LED of the same brightness could save you around £6 a year, says the Energy Saving Trust.
8. Upgrade your boiler – although it won’t come cheap, replacing your boiler could save you hundreds of pounds a year on your bills. Boilers are rated on a scale of A to G, with A being the most energy efficient. So if yours is at the lower end of the scale, it could be time to replace it.
9. Bleed your radiators – this will make your heating more efficient and keep your bills down.
10. Switch your energy tariff – check whether there’s a cheaper tariff out there for you. It’ll only take a few minutes and could save you hundreds every year.
All energy savings figures are taken from the Energy Saving Trust.
Please note: any rates or deals mentioned in this article were available at the time of writing. Click on a highlighted product and apply direct.