When you move into a new property, you inherit the energy supplier from the last occupants. Here are six steps to sorting out your energy when you move home:
1. Before you move, ask your existing energy supplier (the one at your old house) about transferring your tariff to your new property – especially if you’re on a good fixed term deal.
2. At the new property, get the details of the current supplier from the estate agent, landlord or by calling this number: 0870 608 1524
3. Find the electric and gas meters in your new home and jot down the readings.
4. Call the suppliers and give them these readings. Ask this current supplier for a quote to continue supplying your energy.
5. Compare prices – the ‘transfer’ tariff from your old property, the existing tariff at the new property, and the rest of the market – using the MoneySuperMarket comparison tool
Still not sure? Then call me or my colleagues now on 0800 170 1931.
Please note: any rates or deals mentioned in this article were available at the time of writing. Click on a highlighted product and apply direct.
* 51% could save at least £180, MoneySuperMarket Data, June 2014