Check out our holiday checklist

Looking forward to your summer hols? You can relax even more if you do a bit of planning in the days and weeks before you go.

Reading on a beach

Compare travel insurance quotes

Start a quote

Here’s a quick run-through of the major things you need to sort out before you head to the airport, climb on the train or get in the car.

Travel insurance

It’s a no-brainer, whether you’re staying in the UK or heading overseas. You’ll be covered for cancellation (so buy when you book!), medical expenses, theft and other potential headaches and hiccups.

You can buy a policy for a single trip, or for all the trips you take in the next 12 months.

Find out more here.

European Health Insurance Card

If you’re heading to Europe, take an EHIC card (one for every family member!) so you can get medical treatment on the same terms as a local.

Remember these cards are free via the NHS – never pay for one through an agency. They last five years, so check if you need to renew.

Find out more here.

Overseas plastic cards

If you’re heading overseas, get a credit card that’s designed for foreign use – it could save you a fortunes in fees.

It takes a couple of weeks for a card to come through, so there’s still time before the school hols!

Find out more about the best cards to use overseas.

Car and breakdown insurance

If you’re driving on the Continent, check your car insurance and breakdown policies provide the level of cover you want, and top up if necessary.

Some policies automatically drop down to third party only, so it’s worth checking.

Also take the time to search online for any particular driving requirements or restrictions in the country you’re motoring through, such as carrying specific types of safety equipment.

You’ll also need to be aware of toll roads. 

Find out more about driving abroad.

Car hire

You can avoid expensive car hire excess charges by buying your own excess waiver policy before you go, rather than having to buy it at the car hire desk.

That way, you’ll avoid a hefty fee but benefit from the sort of protection that will bring your costs down if you do have an incident while you’re driving overseas.

Learn more about excess cover.

Home insurance

If you’re lucky enough to be going on an extend trip, check your home insurance will still be valid if your home is unoccupied for more than 30 days at a stretch.

You can also take steps to protect your home and your belongings while you’re away – including not advertising your absence on social media.

Check out these handy hints.

And we hope you have a fantastic trip!


Please note: any rates or deals mentioned in this article were available at the time of writing. Click on a highlighted product and apply direct.

Did you enjoy that? Why not share this article

Take control of your energy bills

Our handy tips and tools will help make sure you never overpay again

Popular guides