Don’t be left out in the cold - cover up this winter

When a boiler breaks down in the winter frustration can turn to misery as you’re left to struggle without hot water or central heating.

That’s why it makes sense to consider how you would cope should the worst happen.

Calling out an engineer to deal with the problem can be a costly solution – many charging close to £80 an hour in London.

If your boiler is new you shouldn’t have too much to worry about – you should be covered for breakdowns in its warranty (though it’s well worth double checking).

However, if you’ve had your boiler for a while, look into your home insurance policy to see if you’re covered for emergency breakdowns – some providers will add this on for around £50 a year.

If your home insurance policy doesn’t meet your needs or you simply want more comprehensive cover, consider a stand-alone deal - many of the leading energy suppliers including the likes of E.ON and Scottish & Southern offer policies starting at around £9 a month.

At, we now have a heating cover comparison tool so you can compare the deals on the market. The key however is to look beyond the price and consider exactly what’s covered – look for policies that include cover of up to £1,500 a year including labour, VAT, parts and a yearly safety inspection.

Obtaining cover should be straightforward if your boiler is no more than 15 years old. If an inspection is not required read the small print and look for when the cover starts – in some cases claims will be refused within the first 30-45 days.

Buying cover is a sensible move to provide peace of mind and ensure you get a quick fix should a problem occur. After all, there’s no place like a warm home.

DISCLAIMER: Please note that any rates or deals mentioned in this article applied at the time of writing and may no longer be available/applicable today.

Did you enjoy that? Why not share this article

Take control of your energy bills

Our handy tips and tools will help make sure you never overpay again

Popular guides