Are YOU owed cash by your energy supplier?

The ‘Big Six’ energy suppliers have launched a campaign to reunite more than three million people with a total of £153m left in old accounts.

 Are you owed cash by your energy supplier?

You might be entitled to a share of this cash if you have switched supplier, or if you’ve moved house and not left a forwarding address.

The move follows pressure from energy regulator Ofgem which, as long ago as February called for suppliers to hand back customers’ money.

It has also told suppliers to make sure that the same build-up of cash doesn’t happen again.

Vulnerable customers

If you don’t claim any money you are owed within two years, it will go towards helping vulnerable customers. However, if you make a claim after two years, you will still be entitled to your money, as there’s no limit on when you need to make a claim by.

“The average amount you’re likely to be owed is around £50.”
The average amount you’re likely to be owed is around £50. You can find out about the claims process for your particular supplier through the website, which has been launched by the industry body Energy UK.

The site currently only enables you to click through to the relevant suppliers. It is being developed so that by the end of 2014 you should be able to enter your details and get automated updates on progressing your claim, how long it will take and the amount due to you.

Energy companies now automatically refund direct debits to customers who are in credit to stop any further build-up of cash.

How to claim

British Gas

To find out if you are owed a refund by British Gas, telephone 0800 048 0202. If you’ve got an online account and switched suppliers in the last six months, you can log into your account at and request a refund.


If you think you are owed a refund from npower, but haven’t received one, you should complete its online enquiry form. You will need your final meter reading and any changes to your bank account details so that money can be repaid.

You can find out about npower’s claims process here:

How can I protect myself from going into debt or credit on my energy bills


If you’ve left E.ON and aren’t sure if you’ve had a refund, call you can call them on 0345 052 0000. You will need a meter reading from your previous property if you moved home, or the date when you switched suppliers.

For more information about E.ON’s claims process, visit:

EDF Energy

If you’ve been expecting a refund from EDF Energy but haven’t received it, you can contact EDF Energy through its online help centre or you can speak to someone by phone on 0800 096 9000.
You can make a claim by filling in EDF's closed accounts refund form.

To find out more about EDF Energy’s claim process, visit:


If you think you are owed a refund by SSE, you can either submit an online refund form or call 0800 975 2591.

You can find out more about SSE’s claim process here:

Scottish Power

To make a claim for a refund from Scottish Power, you’ll need your account number, the address Scottish Power supplier, and the date of the final invoice.

You can fill in an online form which is available here:, or, if you’d like to speak to someone, you can call 0800 027 0072 from a landline, or 0345 270 0700 from a mobile.

Other suppliers

While the campaign to reunite customers with their cash has been launched by the ‘Big Six’ energy suppliers listed above, you should also make claims for refunds from other suppliers. Check their websites for more information.

First Utility

If you think you are owed a refund by First Utility, you should call them on 01926 320 700, or you can write to them at Customer Services, First Utility, PO Box 4360, Warwick, CV34 9DB.

Ovo Energy

If you believe you’re owed money by Ovo Energy, you can call them on 0800 5999 440 – or use 01179 303100.

You can also submit an online form at:

Taking things further

If your energy supplier doesn’t respond to your request for a refund within eight weeks, or you aren’t satisfied with their response, you may want to consider taking your case to the Energy Ombudsman. It can investigate your complaint on your behalf and will then decide what action, if any, should be taken.

You must notify the Ombudsman about your complaint within nine months from the date you first complained to the company.

The best way to contact the Energy Ombudsman is by phone on 0330 440 1624.

If you prefer to write, the address is:

Ombudsman Services: Energy
PO Box 966

Alternatively, you can submit an online form at

Please note: any rates or deals mentioned in this article were available at the time of writing. Click on a highlighted product and apply direct.

* 51% could save at least £180, MoneySuperMarket Data, June 2014

Did you enjoy that? Why not share this article


Other articles you might like

Popular guides