A new rule to protect user privacy online has come into force...so you can use the web in a more transparent way.
Hold on...what’s a cookie?
We're not talking about biscuits, but a small text file that websites download to your computer.
Cookies are generally helpful and help improve the user experience when you browse:
- They remember login details;
- They remember preferences;
- They help the site work better
Other cookies can help web owners understand:
- How people are using their site;
- What people are looking for;
- The type of adverts people might prefer
Right...so, what's the change again?
UK websites should have started showing this information from May 26, 2012.
You can turn off cookies in your browser settings. Check your help files to find out how.
Cookies aren't all bad, you just have to watch what you eat...