Skip to content

Compare Landlord Insurance

Compare Landlord Insurance

Find cheap landlord cover for your properties

  • Tailor coverage to your specific property needs

  • Buy landlord insurance buildings cover for less than £160/year or for £17/month

  • Compare tailored quotes from 14 trusted providers to find the right cover for you²

feefo logo
Overall customers rate us
4.9 out of 5240,605 reviews
Image of a house in purple hues

110% of our customers were quoted less than £159.99 a year or £17.36 a month direct debit for a standard landlord cover policy in March 2024.

What is landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance, often referred to as buy-to-let insurance, is a form of home insurance specifically crafted for landlords renting out their properties. It offers protection against common risks such as property damage, legal liabilities, and potential loss of rental income.

This type of insurance provides landlords with financial backing to address claims and carry out repairs swiftly, ensuring minimal disruption in getting the property back to rentable condition.

Do I need landlord insurance?

While not legally mandatory, landlord insurance is highly advised for those who rent out one or more properties. It safeguards against financial setbacks and responsibilities that come with being a landlord.

Regular home insurance policies do not extend to rental properties, and landlords with buy-to-let mortgages may find that their lender requires landlord insurance as a condition of the mortgage agreement.

What does landlord insurance cover?

You can tailor your Landlord insurance policy so it includes the right level of cover for you.

Standard Landlord Cover Typically Includes:

  • Protection against theft, fire, and flooding incidents.

  • The building's structure.

  • Built-in elements such as fitted kitchens and bathrooms.

  • Landlord-owned furnishings like furniture, carpets, and curtains (excluding tenants' personal items).

Landlords can often choose to add extra coverage for:

  • Loss of rental income due to uninhabitable property conditions.

  • Legal expenses in case of court proceedings.

  • Vacancies between tenant occupancies.

  • Accidental damage caused by tenants.

  • Intentional damage inflicted by tenants.

  • Public liability to protect against claims of injury or property damage.

  • Boiler repair and breakdown costs.

  • Unpaid rent by tenants.

It's important to note that adding more coverage will typically increase the cost of your policy, so it's wise to balance your desired level of protection with your budget.

What won't landlord insurance cover?

Landlord insurance doesn't typically cover:

  • Tenants' personal belongings – tenants should secure their own contents insurance.

  • Normal wear and tear – damage that occurs through everyday use over time.

  • Animal damage – while you might be able to add coverage for pet-related damage at an additional cost, standard policies don't cover pest-related damage such as that caused by mice or wasps.

  • Deliberate damage by tenants – however, coverage for malicious damage can sometimes be added to your policy.

What kind of properties can be insured with landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance can be tailored to various property types, including:

  • Residential: Suitable for buy-to-let properties that are rented out to tenants.

  • Commercial: Designed for properties used as business premises.

  • Multi-property: Ideal for landlords who own multiple buy-to-let properties.

  • House in Multiple Occupation (HMO): Such properties typically require a specific type of insurance, as they are not usually covered by standard landlord policies.

What landlord insurance do I need?

The kind of landlord insurance you need depends on your specific situation. Here are some options to consider:

This covers damage to the structure of your property from events like fires or floods. If your property is part of a block of flats, check if the leaseholder's insurance covers this.

For furnished rentals, this insurance protects your items. You can also add cover for accidental damage caused by tenants.

This helps if property damage prevents you from renting out the space.

Rent guarantee insurance offers protection against lost rent if tenants fail to pay.

Public liability insurance helps with legal costs if a tenant gets injured on your property and sues.

Employers’ liability insurance is mandatory if you employ anyone at your rental property.

Unoccupied property insurance is useful during renovations before you rent out the property.

Landlord emergency cover provides immediate help for emergencies like burst pipes or boiler breakdowns at your property.

How much does landlord insurance cost?

At MoneySuperMarket, customers paid less than £1601 per year for landlord insurance. However, the cost of your policy will depend on various factors, such as:

  • Plus

    Your property

    Insurers take into account how old your property is, how many rooms it has, how its roof is structured, and more to judge what kind of risk it presents

  • Plus

    Your location

    If you’re in an area with high crime rates or a greater likelihood of flooding, you’ll usually pay more for cover

  • Plus

    Your tenants

    If you’re letting your property out to students, you may have to pay more for cover as insurers are likely to consider these tenants as a higher risk

  • Plus

    Your policy

    A combined buildings and contents policy may be cheaper overall than buying them separately, but it’s good to compare your options to be sure

  • Plus

    How you pay

    You might find that paying your premiums as an annual lump sum works out cheaper than spreading the cost over monthly instalments

  • Plus

    Claims history

    A history of previous claims on your landlord insurance policy will make you a higher risk, so insurers will likely charge more in premiums

How to get cheaper landlord insurance

While direct discounts on landlord insurance may not always be available, there are strategies to help lower your premium costs:

  • Enhance Security Measures: Installing robust locks, burglar alarms, and CCTV systems can deter theft and may lead insurers to view your property as a lower risk, potentially reducing your premium.

  • Opt for a Higher Excess: Agreeing to a higher voluntary excess—the amount you contribute towards a claim—can decrease your premium. Ensure that the excess amount is manageable for you.

  • Minimise Vacancy Periods: Properties that remain unoccupied for extended periods are seen as higher risks by insurers. Keeping these periods brief can help reduce premiums.

  • Bundle Insurance Policies: Combining various insurance needs into one policy might be more cost-effective than purchasing separate policies for different coverages.

  • Screen Tenants Thoroughly: Some tenant types may be deemed riskier by insurance providers, so choosing your tenants with care is important.

The most suitable landlord insurance policy isn't typically the cheapest, it's important to make sure you have the right cover in place for your situation.

Example quote when comparing landlord insurance

provider logo


  • Annual Price


  • Landlords' Fixtures & Fittings Cover


Great for

  • Property Owners' Liability: £2,000,000 cover
  • Malicious Damage By Tenants: £5,000 cover
  • Alternative Accommodation: £5,250 cover

But be aware that

  • Landlords' contents: Not included
  • Accidental damage: Not included

This is for illustrative purposes only. If your circumstances and cover needs differ, your quote may be more or less expensive than the above example.
Learn more about our full methodology here.

Jake Edmonds

Our expert says


Landlord insurance is more than just a policy; it's about feeling secure. In the rental business, things can change fast, and this insurance helps protect your investment from things like damage caused by tenants, lost rent, and building issues such as sinking ground. For landlords, having this insurance means you're ready for surprises and your rental business stays safe and makes money. Getting full landlord insurance is a smart move for managing your property well.

- Jake Edmonds, Insurance Expert

What do I need to get a quote

  • Tick

    Your property details

    Including the address, date of purchase, when it was built, and if it's commercial or residential

  • Tick

    Basic Tenant Information

    Such as their employment status or any background checks you may have carried out on them

  • Tick

    Details about the level of cover you need

    Select your level of cover as well as any optional extra cover, such as contents insurance

  • Tick

    Your current insurance policy documents

    Basic details of your existing policy, including any previous claims history

Compare landlord insurance quotes with MoneySuperMarket

Comparing landlord insurance quotes with MoneySuperMarket is the easiest way to find affordable cover tailored to suit you. Here's how it works:

  • Provide us with details

    Pop in details like your address, property type, and any extra policies you want and you’ll get a landlord insurance quote

  • We’ll show you our best quotes

    You’ll be able to see and compare the policies on offer from our preferred landlord insurance providers

  • Complete with your chosen provider

    Once you’ve chosen your policy and received a quote, you can call or apply directly online with the provider to get covered

A standard home insurance policy might not cover you if you rent your property out to tenants and you aren’t living there. This is because tenants present a different, and usually greater, risk to the property – and therefore to the insurer:

  • Tenants aren’t invested in the property, so they may not care as much about its condition

  • They may not notice certain maintenance issues that could grow if left unattended

  • They may cause malicious or accidental damage to the property

  • They may hold you, the landlord, liable if they get hurt in the property 

Landlord insurance caters to these specific situations that won’t usually be covered by standard home insurance.

Most insurers offer the option of adding multiple properties to your policy, and you may even be able to get a discount on your premiums as a result. However you may find that you need separate policies for each property, so it’s always better to compare your options before committing to a provider to ensure you’re getting the best deal.

In the UK, subsidence coverage is commonly included in many landlord insurance policies. Subsidence, which involves the ground beneath a building sinking or collapsing, can cause serious structural damage to properties. Policies with subsidence coverage typically assist with the repair costs arising from such damage.

It's crucial to recognize, however, that subsidence cover is not a standard feature in all landlord insurance policies, and coverage details can differ among insurers and individual policies. There may be specific conditions or exclusions linked to subsidence, such as non-coverage for damage related to mining activities or a higher excess for subsidence-related claims.

You might need contents insurance as a landlord if you’re supplying furniture, fixtures and fittings for your tenants. For example, a landlord contents policy can help with freestanding sofas and beds, floor coverings and electrical appliances. You can generally expect the following to be covered either as standard or with an add-on:

  • Furniture such as sofas and cabinets

  • Kitchen appliances like ovens or sinks

  • Curtains

  • Carpets 

  • Paintings and pictures

  • Light fixtures

  • Outbuildings such as sheds or outhouses

  • Gardens and any contents in the garden 

  • Communal areas, if you’re letting your property out to multiple tenants

You might also be able to claim for alternative accommodation for your tenants if any damage to your contents renders the property uninhabitable.

Landlords are generally able to claim a tax deduction for the running and maintenance costs of their property, which includes landlord insurance, as well as:

  • General maintenance and repairs

  • Council tax

  • Water, gas and electricity

  • Maintenance services like and gardeners  

  • Letting agent fees

  • Property management fees

  • Accountant fees 

The first £1,000 of your property rental income is your property allowance, and therefore it’s tax free. Your total rental income added together, minus all your allowable expenses (including landlord insurance) will give you your profit or loss. 

  • For profit margins of £1,000 or less, you just need to claim for your allowance. 

  • For profits of between £1,000 and £2,500 you need to contact the HMRC to ensure you’re paying the correct tax

  • For profits of between £2,500 and £9,999 after expenses, or £10,000 or more before expenses, you’ll need to report the income on a self-assessment tax return.

If you live in the property and you are renting a room out, you should clarify whether the agreement is that they are a tenant or a lodger. Essentially, if you’ve agreed you cannot enter their room without their permission this would make them a tenant – and therefore you’d need landlord insurance to be properly covered.

If they’re a lodger then you should be able to get an extension on your home insurance policy that will cover you for housing a lodger.

As a landlord there’s always a risk that a tenant might refuse or not be able to pay rent. While this can cause problems, there are things you can do to protect your rental income – you can see what your options are with our guide to rent guarantee insurance.

Rental guarantee insurance usually covers six or 12-month periods, though an excess of one month’s rent is not uncommon.

Loss of rent will protect the income you receive from your tenants if they have to move out due to an insured event. This can include such events as a fire, flood, or robbery. As well as compensating you for the loss of rent, this insurance will also help you cover the cost of alternative accommodation for your tenants.

When you sign up to your landlord insurance policy, you should receive a booklet that outlines the detail of your policy, which usually comes with a claims form. You can claim by filling it out and mailing it to your insurer, though they may also be able to handle your claim online or over the phone.

Boiler cover isn’t a legal requirement as a landlord, but it can help keep your property habitable for tenants and prevent any headaches if the boiler does break down.

In most cases, the landlord will pay for buildings insurance. As a landlord, you may even be required to purchase it before getting a buy-to-let mortgage, depending on the lender's terms and conditions.

Finding the right policy for your properties and your own individual needs is crucial. Take a look at our landlord insurance guide to make sure your policy covers all the bases.

When you’ve decided on the level of cover you need, find the best landlord policy for your requirements via our preferred provider. MoneySuperMarket has teamed up with Simply Business, who offers an external landlord insurance comparison service. Simply Business is Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA reference 313348)

You work hard to earn your money, and we don’t think you should waste a penny of it paying over the odds on your household bills. That’s why at MoneySuperMarket, we’re on a mission to save Britain money.

  • Whip your credit score into shape with Credit Monitor

  • Super save over and over again with Energy Monitor

  • There are always more ways to save with MoneySuperMarket 

So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy something, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from.

You might be wondering if we work with all the companies in the market, or if our commercial relationships with our partners might make us feature one company above another. We’ve got nothing to hide, and we want to give you clear answers when it comes to questions like these, so we’ve pulled together everything you need to know on this page.