Skip to content

Renters Insurance

Super Save with Cover From £5*

  • Comparing renters insurance is fast, free and simple!


Which brands do we work with?

As the only price comparison site offering a choice of renters insurance policies specifically designed for tenants, we'll show you quotes from a panel of three specialist providers – but watch this space, we will be adding more providers to our panel.

company logo for urban-junglecompany logo for get-safecompany logo for Admiral-july-min

What is renters insurance?

Renters insurance is cover made for tenants rather than people who own their homes. It’ll protect you against the cost of repairing or replacing your belongings if they’re stolen or damaged by a flood or storm. You might’ve also heard of it as tenants insurance or simply just contents insurance – the key thing to remember is that this policy covers your belongings, and not the structure of the property itself.

Who needs renters insurance? 

If you rent your property, tenants insurance is not a legal requirement. But if you choose to take it out, you'll be financially protected if your belongings are stolen or damaged and it will give you peace of mind while you're renting. Floods, fires and burglaries do happen, and your premiums will seem like a minor expense compared to the cost of replacing valuable belongings like jewellery, TVs or computers.


Get covered in as little as two minutes

  • We'll calculate the cover you need

    Select the belongings you have and if you need cover for one month or 12

  • Review the value

    We'll estimate the default value of your personal belongings, but you can change it as you need

  • Tell us about yourself

    Then you'll just need to answer seven simple questions to get a quote

What is and isn't covered with renters insurance?

A renters insurance policy will cover the cost of repairs or replacements for most of the items below, depending on the kind of policy you take out. Single-item limits will apply, so you may need to declare anything valued at over £1,000 for it to be properly covered:

  • Tick

    Kitchen appliances

  • Tick

    Items of furniture

  • Tick

    Clothes and jewellery

  • Tick

    TVs, stereos and games consoles

  • Tick


  • Tick

    Collectables like antiques, ornaments and works of art

  • Tick

    Guitars, keyboards and other instruments

  • Tick

    Mobile phones, tablets and computers

  • Cross

    Damage resulting from wear and tear or faulty goods

What does renters insurance protect me against?

Renters insurance covers your belongings when they're lost, damaged or stolen, so you'll be able to claim in case of the following:

  • Theft

  • Vandalism

  • Water leaks

  • Flooding

  • Storms

  • Fire

We'll help you calculate how much cover you need

Choose your most beloved belongings from our list, and tell us how much they’re worth. Then, we’ll work out how much overall cover you need for these, and your other belongings. The amount we calculate is based on the average for people your age who live in your area.

Why do I need renters insurance?

If you're a tenant, a renters insurance policy will pay to repair or replace your valuables if they're damaged or stolen.

When you're living in rented accommodation, your favourite belongings help make the place feel like home, so if something does go wrong, it's a huge relief to know you won't be out of pocket. Renters insurance policies offer flexible and affordable cover designed for tenants. It takes just two minutes to get a quote and costs as little as £5 a month.

Bespoke renters insurance designed with you in mind

MoneySuperMarket is the only price comparison website that offers renters insurance policies designed specifically with tenants in mind. You'll be able to find a deal that suits your needs, and you can add optional extras like out-of-home and accidental damage cover if you need them.

  • Cover whole household

    Renters insurance can cover you and your housemates

  • Get a quote in two minutes

    We've tailored our questions specifically for renters, to make getting a quote quick and easy

  • Cover for the length of your tenancy

    Flexible policies lasting from one month to one year, from as little as £5 a month

David McDermottroe

Our expert says


We understand that renters can feel standard contents insurance isn't relevant to them, so we've built a brand new channel specifically for people who are renting their property. We want to ensure that the items they value are covered in and out of their home with the right policies for them.Knowing that renters can move home more regularly, we have also ensured that there are options for paying per month and cancelling at any time, as well as no admin fees for changing your address or adding new items to your policy.


- David McDermottroe, Home Insurance Expert

We're 100% independent, working only for our customers

Unlike some of our competitors, MoneySuperMarket is not owned by an insurance company. So we can offer the best value, with savings delivered straight to you.

By combining independence with our excellent technology, we can negotiate the best prices and the best value on products and services.

of our customers would buy again based on 36,860 reviews

Our flexible policies also come with optional additional cover

You can tailor your cover when you purchase through MoneySuperMarket, with several options to add additional cover to your policy.

The main difference between buying home insurance as a homeowner and as a renter is the type of cover you'll need to take out. If you own your home you'll want to insure the building itself as well as what's inside, but if you're renting then covering the building isn't your responsibility.

Your landlord should have their own insurance policy, which will cover any damage to the building resulting from a flood, fire or explosion, or a burglary. If they've provided any of their own furniture for the property, this will come under their contents insurance policy – you'll only need to think about your belongings.

This is where renters insurance comes in so useful. With MoneySuperMarket all you need to do is tell us which personal property you want to insure and for how long – remember to specify anything worth over £1,000 – and we'll show you your prices.

To calculate the amount of cover you'll need with your renters policy try to estimate the cost of replacing your belongings if they were destroyed or stolen. You should try to be as accurate as you can – especially with more expensive items – to ensure you're quoted for the level of cover you need.

Any of your belongings that cost over £1,000 will need to be declared separately, but you will still be covered if you want to insure your jewellery, designer clothes or expensive musical instruments. However your premiums will likely be more expensive as a result.

If you work from home, your renters insurance policy might extend to your work laptop or phone, however any more expensive equipment might require a separate business insurance policy.

Most insurers will cover you for a set period of time if you're on holiday, around 30 days in most cases, but any longer and you might have to take out an extra policy for unoccupied home insurance. Remember to tell your insurer if you're going away for more than the limit defined in your policy, as if you don't you may not be able to claim.

Your renters insurance policy will cover your belongings whether you live in a flat or a house – just be sure to tell the insurer beforehand, as it might affect your ability to make a claim if you don't.

Premiums might be higher if you live in student accommodation, but some providers do offer specialist policies for students.

Your landlord should at least having a buildings insurance policy in place to cover the structure of the property if it becomes damaged. However if they've provided furniture for the property, they'll also need a contents insurance policy to cover it.

Your landlord's insurance policy may include accidental damage contents cover if your rented accommodation is furnished by the landlord. This means they'll be able to claim if you unintentionally damage anything they have provided for the property. If they don't have this policy then they'll probably recoup the cost from your security deposit.

Your landlord might also have an alternative accommodation policy, which means if the property becomes inhabitable, their insurer will pay out for the cost of finding you a new place to live until you make new arrangements or can move back in.

You work hard to earn your money, and we don’t think you should waste a penny of it paying over the odds on your household bills. That’s why at MoneySuperMarket, we’re on a mission to save Britain money.

  • Whip your credit score into shape with Credit Monitor

  • Super save over and over again with Energy Monitor

  • There are always more ways to save with MoneySuperMarket 

So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy something, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from.

You might be wondering if we work with all the companies in the market, or if our commercial relationships with our partners might make us feature one company above another. We’ve got nothing to hide, and we want to give you clear answers when it comes to questions like these, so we’ve pulled together everything you need to know on this page.

We aim to show you home insurance quotes from as many insurance companies as possible, so that you can find the right policy for you.

Unfortunately, we can’t promise to show quotes from every insurance provider, because not all companies want to be included on comparison websites.

We won’t offer you advice or make a recommendation, but we will provide you with all the information you need to help you decide which is the right policy for you.

You can find out more about how we work here.

Looking for home insurance?

It's fast, free and simple!