Skip to content

Compare cheap buildings insurance quotes

Buildings insurance


  • Quickly find cheap insurance by comparing quotes online

  • Save up to £196 on your home insurance¹

  • Join the MoneySuperMarket Super Save Club to earn rewards

feefo logo
4.7 out of 538,291 reviews
Super save price promise graphic

Compare cheap buildings insurance from 82 providers2

We’re committed to finding the right cover for you and your home. That’s why we compare 82 of the biggest insurance providers in the country, including:

company logo for LV: Liverpool Victoria
company logo for Churchill
company logo for Halifax
company logo for Admiral
company logo for Tesco Bank
company logo for Policy Expert
company logo for Hastings Direct

1 51% of consumers could save up to £196.93 a year on buildings and contents insurance. Consumer Intelligence, December 2023. UK only.

2 Accurate as of April 2024.

What is buildings insurance?

Buildings insurance covers your home from damage by floodfiresubsidencestorm or vandalism. It protects the structure of the building (the walls, roof, floors and extensions) and its fixtures (such as built-in wardrobes, bathroom suites and fitted kitchens).

Your buildings insurance company will also repair damage caused by leaky pipes or faulty electronics, as well as criminal or accidental damage. If necessary, they’ll even foot the bill to rebuild it completely.

Your possessions are not protected, however under buildings insurance. For that you need a separate contents insurance policy.

Your mortgage lender will require you to have buildings insurance because as soon as you exchange contracts on a property, you’re legally responsible for the building. If you own your home outright, buildings insurance protects your investment.

Similar products

"The simple answer is no. Buildings insurance in not a legal requirement. However, if you’re buying a home for the first time or if you have a mortgage already, mortgage lenders typically require you to take out buildings insurance because it protects their interests. If you didn’t have buildings insurance and you had to rebuild your home or pay for major repairs, the costs could bankrupt you and the mortgage provider would therefore lose out.

Having said that, taking out insurance – even if you’ve paid off your mortgage – is a sensible option. Midway through last year, the Association for British Insurers (ABI) announced that insurers were paying out the equivalent of £8.6 million every day to help homeowners cope with fire, theft, weather, escape of water, subsidence and accidental damage – with buildings insurance costing on average £206.16 per year*. And with many of us required to have buildings insurance anyway, comparing quotes is a great way to ensure you’re not paying over the odds for the right level of cover. Personally, I’d recommend including contents insurance in your policy to make sure your home is covered inside as well as out."

David McDermottroe - Home Insurance Expert at MoneySuperMarket

*The annual premium that 51% of our customers paid in February 2024 where the cover type purchased was buildings insurance.

Who needs buildings insurance?

Buildings insurance is not a legal requirement but, bearing in mind the investment we spend on our homes, it is a sensible idea. Especially if you live somewhere where there is a high risk of damage to your home – such as from flooding, fire, or subsidence.

However you should only get buildings insurance if you own your own property, and only if your home isn’t part of a block of flats. If you are a tenant, your landlord is the one who should buy insurance for the building.

  • Tick

    Home owners with a mortgage

    Most mortgage lenders insist that you have buildings insurance before you exchange contracts and purchase your home

  • Tick


    Buildings insurance covers your investment from structural issues, though you may need specific landlords’ insurance too

  • Tick

    Property owners

    If you own your house outright, buildings insurance protects your home from all sorts of problems

  • Cross

    Flat owners

    If you own an apartment in a block of flats, an individual buildings insurance policy isn’t necessary

  • Cross


    Renters don’t need buildings insurance – that’s the responsibility of the owner. Consider renters insurance instead

  • Cross


    Buildings insurance is often taken care of by freeholders and paid for by leaseholders with service charges from leaseholders

Example quote when comparing buildings insurance

provider logo


  • Annual Price


  • Total Excess

    Buildings £500

  • Cover Level


Great for

  • 24-hour emergency helpline
  • Trace and access cover up to £5k included
  • Alternative accommodation in the event yours in uninhabitable

But be aware that

  • This doesn't cover accidental damage to buildings or contents
  • No money cover

This is for illustrative purposes only. If your circumstances and cover needs differ, your quote may be more or less expensive than the above example.
Learn more about our full methodology here.

What does buildings insurance cover?

Buildings insurance covers the physical structure of the building, as well as any permanent fixtures like a bathroom suite or fitted kitchen. If you wish there are a range of optional extras homeowners can add to increase the scope of their cover:

  • Tick

    Covered as standard


    Fire damage is always covered as standard in buildings insurance


    Cover for burst rivers, storms, or heavy rain comes as standard for almost all buildings insurance policies


    Buildings insurance covers damage caused by violent wind, rain, hail, snow, or lightning

    Subsidence and heave

    Most buildings insurance policies will cover damage caused by violent wind, rain, hail, snow, or lightning

    Collisions and falling debris

    Buildings insurance covers the cost of clearing debris as well as rebuilding any damage

    Escape of water

    Buildings insurance will cover the cost of repairing and replacing burst pipes and associated water damage

    Theft and vandalism

    Buildings insurance helps you get important repairs and replacements to keep your home safe

  • Cross

    What's not covered

    Wear and tear

    Damage caused by wear and tear e.g. damp, condensation, rust, dry or wet rot are not covered

    Contents inside your home

    Items inside of your home, including furniture, carpets, clothes, electronics and personal items are not covered. You'll need contents insurance to cover these.

    Extended absence from your home

    If you plan to be away for any longer than 30 days, you will need to purchase unoccupied house insurance


    Most buildings insurance policies are unlikely to include asbestos removal, unless it is disturbed as a result of a fire or flood

    Frost damage

    As frost is a likely occurrence most winters, damage caused by frost, such as frozen pipes, isn't included

    Storm damage to fences, gates, or hedges

    These elements of your home are not covered in the event of a storm

    Poor workmanship

    You cannot make a claim on your buildings insurance policy if the incident is a result of poor workmanship or faulty design

  • Plus

    Buildings insurance optional extras


    You can protect a shed or garage as well as any contents you keep in them with this cover


    Garden insurance will protect valuable items that you leave in your garden, including outdoor furniture and tools

    Swimming pools

    Buying extra cover will help you claim for any structural damage to your pool

    Ponds and patios

    Optional extra insurance is available to cover structural damage to your pond or patio (but not the fish in it)

    Accidental damage cover

    Accidental damage insurance will pay out for any sudden and unintentional damage

    Alternative accommodation

    Alternative accommodation cover will help you pay for the cost of living elsewhere while your home is being repaired

    Home emergency cover

    Home emergency cover will cover the cost of calling out a tradesman when there’s a sudden unexpected incident

Key considerations when choosing buildings insurance

When shopping around for a building insurance policy, there are a number of things to keep in mind that can help you get a decent deal on cover that meets your needs:

  • Exclusions and limits

    Each policy will have certain exclusions where you will not be allowed to claim. It's important to check your exclusions and cover limits with your provider and in the policy documents

  • Contents cover

    Buildings insurance alone will only cover the structure to your home and not the contents. If you want extra protection for your belongings, consider getting contents cover as well

  • Compulsory and voluntary excess

    Excess is the amount that you volunteer to contribute towards each claim. A greater excess can reduce the cost of your policy but also means you will have to pay more to cover repairs

  • Unoccupied home

    Providers have a limit for how long they will cover your home while it is unoccupied, with the standard length being up to 30 days. This is something to keep an eye on if you plan on travelling for extended periods

  • Public liability cover

    Check how much public liability cover is included as standard with your policy. This valuable protection will cover your legal costs if anyone dies or is injured on your property, or if any property is damaged

  • Emergency helpline

    Some providers have a helpline that you can use in case of emergencies for advice and assistance. This can be a valuable service that ensures you get fast emergency repairs when you need them

  • Type of damage

    Damage caused by an unexpected event such as a fire, flood, or storm are usually covered as standard, but general wear and tear or accidental damage aren't included in buildings insurance policies, and you will need extra coverage for this

  • Alternative accommodation

    Many building insurance policies include alternative accommodation cover, which temporarily rehouses you and your family if your property is unsafe to live in following an event such as a fire of flood

How much does buildings insurance cost?

There are quite a few variables which affect your buildings insurance premiums, including where you live and what type of home you live in. However, the number of bedrooms it has is often a good yardstick. Here’s how much buildings insurance costs on average per number of bedrooms3:

  • 1

    One-bed: £154.13

  • 2

    Two-bed: £154.86

  • 3

    Three-bed: £179.79

  • 4

    Four-bed: £243.46

  • 5

    Five-bed: £333.17

  • 6

    Six beds: £447.44

What do I need to get a buildings insurance quote?

To get a buildings insurance quote, you will need to provide some basic details about yourself and your property, including:

  • Your name and the address of the property

  • The year the property was built

  • Number of bedrooms

  • Type of property e.g. detached, semi-detached, terraced house or flat

  • Whether your roof is flat or pitched

  • What type of cover you're looking for, including any add-ons

  • How much your house would cost to rebuild

  • Whether your property has ever been flooded

  • Any previous claims, other than for a flood or subsidence

Get the cheapest buildings insurance deals with our Price Promise

We're so confident that we'll find you the cheapest buildings insurance deal with MoneySuperMarket, that we're making a price promise to you. If you find the same policy for cheaper elsewhere, not only will we refund the difference, we'll also give you a gift card worth up to £20!4

4 Restrictions and T&Cs apply, click here for details.

Finding the cheapest buildings insurance

A buildings insurance policy could cost you approximately £232.794 on average. One good way to find cheaper buildings insurance premiums is to shop around and see if you can find a cheaper policy elsewhere, instead of auto-renewing. Here are our top tips:

  • Shop around

    Compare quotes from leading insurers through MoneySuperMarket, allowing you to compare deals and pick the best offer for you

  • Build your no claims discount

    A history of not claiming on your insurance is usually rewarded with a discount on your premiums

4Data based on the average premium of buildings insurance policies sold through MoneySuperMarket in February 2024.

How much should I insure my property for?

The sum insured for your home should cover the full amount it would cost to rebuild from the foundations up at today’s prices – in case something like a gas explosion destroys it completely.

When you get a buildings insurance quote, you will be asked for the rebuild cost figure. The rebuild cost of a house is how much it would cost to construct it in the same way with the same materials from scratch at today’s prices, including labour.

This is not the same as your house’s market value, which also includes the price of the land it’s built on, and local amenities and transport links. 

It’s hard to calculate the exact cost of rebuilding, so you need to ensure your estimate is as accurate as possible. A chartered surveyor can help – check out our guide to calculating rebuild costs for more information.

What makes up the rebuild value?

The rebuild value is the amount it would cost to rebuild your home if it was completely destroyed. When insuring your property, it is crucial that you submit the correct rebuild value. Otherwise, you will have to pay for a percentage of the rebuild costs yourself.

  • The age of the property

    Older materials are often more expensive

  • The building materials

    Non-standard materials are often more costly or require a specialist builder

  • Subsidence risk

    A higher subsidence risk means more chance of serious damage 

  • Flooding

    If the property is near a river there is a higher flood risk

  • Number of rooms, doors and windows

    These indicate a larger building and higher costs

Why compare buildings insurance with MoneySuperMarket?

When it comes to buildings insurance there are many options available. We’re here to help you find the best policy by comparing insurance quotes from trusted providers across the market. Here are just a few reasons why you should compare with MoneySuperMarket:

  • We're trusted by our customers

    With 30 years' experience, we are trusted by our customers. We only work with insurance providers authorised and regulated by the FCA, ensuring that you get the cover you need.

  • Save money on your insurance

    Avoid auto renewing and easily compare tailored quotes for free from multiple trusted providers to find the cheapest home insurance for you.

  • Compare quotes in minutes

    Fill out one form in minutes to compare quotes from multiple providers. You can also save time in the future by storing your details, allowing you to refresh your quotes in seconds.

Join the thousands of customers who bought their home insurance through us

Our reviews are from genuine customers who compared and bought their home insurance through MoneySuperMarket.

We're proud to share that our home insurance comparison service is highly rated by our customers.

Based on 38,291 reviews
our customers rate us

Superb and easy to use every time.
Good price and monthly payment for no extra charge
Great price for house insurance.

Buildings insurance and contents insurance are both important. The first protects the structure of your property if it’s damaged by natural disasters or vandalism, and the second protects your possessions.

As a rule of thumb, anything that can be carried out of a house is protected under contents insurance, which means things like carpets, curtains, white goods, light fittings and furniture. Meanwhile anything fixed to the structure of the house, such as built-in wardrobes, plus things like your garage or conservatory, are covered by buildings insurance.

No, you don’t need documents to get a quote. However you do need to know basic facts about the property you want to insure, including its age and the materials it is built from.

The simplest way to get a quote on buildings insurance is to give MoneySuperMarket a few details on your home. We will use your information to get quotes from a range of house insurance companies, which you can then search and choose the deal that suits you. You can also search for contents insurance at the same time, or even buy a policy which combines home and contents insurance.

While your mortgage lender will almost certainly require you to buy buildings insurance, you don’t have to buy it from their preferred insurer. In fact, you’ll probably be able to find cheaper insurance by shopping around and comparing prices.

If you own a leasehold property, you might find that the building is already insured by a landlord who owns the freehold. If you’re not sure, your solicitor can advise you.

In certain blocks of flats where leaseholders have joined forces to buy a portion of the freehold, you might have to buy your own buildings cover.

Most buildings insurance policies do not cover rising damp, sadly. It’s unusual for home insurance policies to cover any kind of gradual deterioration. 

You can still get buildings insurance if you live in a flood risk area, but your premiums are likely to be quite a lot more expensive. You can find out more in our guide to flood insurance.

If you want to extend or convert your house, or make significant renovations, you should let your insurer know before the work begins. You will probably be able to make changes to your policy, but it’s best to inform them first, in case anything goes wrong and your policy is invalidated.

If you are leaving your property empty for more than 31 days at a time, you will probably need a specialist unoccupied home insurance policy.

If you haven’t been able to get the information from the title deed to your home, which should have been obtained by your conveyancer or estate agent when you bought it, the easiest way to check the age of your home is with the government’s Land Registry service.

Garages are considered separate structures for the purposes of buildings insurance, and you’ll have to list it as such when you apply. You should still be able to get cover, but it’s not wise to claim it as another ordinary room.

Buildings insurance is available to people who own listed buildings or those made from non-standard materials such as thatched roofs, though the chances are you'll have to pay a little extra due to the extra risk, and the extra rebuild costs.

You work hard to earn your money, and we don’t think you should waste a penny of it paying over the odds on your household bills. That’s why at MoneySuperMarket, we’re on a mission to save Britain money.

  • Whip your credit score into shape with Credit Monitor

  • Super save over and over again with Energy Monitor

  • There are always more ways to save with MoneySuperMarket 

So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy something, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from.

You might be wondering if we work with all the companies in the market, or if our commercial relationships with our partners might make us feature one company above another. We’ve got nothing to hide, and we want to give you clear answers when it comes to questions like these, so we’ve pulled together everything you need to know on this page.

We aim to show you home insurance quotes from as many insurance companies as possible, so that you can find the right policy for you.

Unfortunately, we can’t promise to show quotes from every insurance provider, because not all companies want to be included on comparison websites.

We won’t offer you advice or make a recommendation, but we will provide you with all the information you need to help you decide which is the right policy for you.

You can find out more about how we work here.

Find the home insurance that's right for you

Looking for a home insurance quote?

It's fast, free and simple!