Skip to content



  • Save up to £196 a year* on buildings and contents insurance. Get tailored quotes in minutes from trusted providers across the market

*51% of consumers could save up to £196.93 a year on buildings and contents insurance. Consumer Intelligence, December 2023. UK only.

Find cheaper home insurance and get rewarded

Compare home insurance in three easy steps:

  • 1

    Fill out our quote form

    We'll need some details about your home, who lives there and if you're insuring your home's contents as well as the building itself.

  • 2

    Compare quotes

    We’ll find you the best quotes from 84 trusted insurers, so you can see all your options in one place.

  • 3

    Start saving

    Choose the policy that best suits your needs and complete your purchase on the provider's website.

What is home insurance and do I need it?

Home insurance offers financial support to cover the cost of any loss or damage that occurs as a result of an unavoidable event such as a fire, flood, or theft. You can either purchase contents insurance, which covers your personal possessions, or buildings insurance to cover the structural elements of your property.

If you require both, you can get combined home insurance, which can save you money rather than getting two individual policies.

Do I need home insurance?

Home insurance isn’t a legal requirement for homeowners or renters. However, it provides peace of mind in case something goes wrong out of the blue.

If you’re taking out a mortgage, your lender will probably insist you get buildings insurance before they’ll approve you for a loan. If you’re a tenant, you’ll only need to cover your belongings – your landlord should look after the buildings cover.

Home insurance companies we work with

We gather quotes and compare prices from 84 UK insurance providers* so you can find the cover you need at the best price.

company logo for LV: Liverpool Victoria
company logo for Churchill
company logo for Halifax
company logo for Admiral
company logo for Tesco Bank
company logo for Policy Expert
company logo for Hastings Direct

*Accurate as of April 2024.

Understanding the types of home insurance

There are two types of home insurance cover: buildings insurance and contents insurance. You buy these separately or get both from the same company in a combined house insurance policy.

  • Buildings insurance

    Buildings insurance covers the physical structure of your home – the bricks and mortar – and any permanent fittings or fixtures

  • Contents insurance

    Contents cover protects the possessions in your home. Some policies also cover certain belongings out of the home

  • Buildings and contents insurance

    Combined policies offers maximum protection under one policy, making complete home insurance cover cheaper

What does home insurance cover?

The specific level of cover depends on the particulars of your insurance policy. Many house insurance policies will offer similar types of protection, while most will also have certain exclusions.

  • Tick

    What is usually covered?

    • Fire damage

    • Floods and storms

    • Burglary and vandalism

    • Burst pipes and escape of water 

    • Subsidence and ground heave, also known as swelling

  • Cross

    What isn't usually covered?

    • Wear and tear

    • Negligence 

    • Lack of maintenance

    • Incorrectly supplied information

    • Unoccupied properties

How much does home insurance cost?

The cost of home insurance depends on a range of factors, including your location, your property type, the value of your home and possessions, and your claims history. These factors can all influence how likely you are to make a claim on your house insurance policy and how big a claim might be. If you are considered more likely to make big claims, your insurance will cost more.





Building and Contents


The annual premium that 51% of our customers paid in April 2024 where the cover type purchased was building and contents insurance.

Who needs home insurance?

While home insurance isn’t legally required in the UK, it’s still important and helpful in protecting your home. There are policies designed for all types of occupants, including:

  • Tick


    If you own your home, you'll be responsible for both the physical structure of your home and any belongings you have on the property

  • Tick


    If you're a private tenant in a rental property, you'll only be responsible for home's contents – you won't normally need buildings insurance

  • Tick


    As a landlord, you'll be legally responsible for the property's condition, but will only need to cover the building and any contents you provide

  • Tick


    If you're living in student accommodation, you might be covered by a parent or guardian's home insurance, but this isn't always the case, so student contents insurance is also an option

  • Tick

    Flat sharers

    If you're sharing a flat, you'll normally only need to protect your contents. Details about your living arrangements can affect premiums, as shared households come with certain risks

  • Tick

    Holiday homeowners

    If you own a holiday home that is otherwise unoccupied, you will likely need to take out specialised home insurance for properties that are empty for long periods of time

Example quote when comparing buildings and contents cover

provider logo

More Th>n


  • Annual Price


  • Total Excess

    Buildings £400 Contents £200

  • Cover Level

    Buildings £300k Contents £50k

Great for

  • When you need a 24 hour claims line
  • If you need key cover
  • If you prefer UK call centres
  • If you need underground pipes, cables, and tanks covered

But be aware that

  • This doesn't cover accidental damage to buildings or contents
  • No money cover
  • if the details you provided are wrong, your policy may be invalid and the insurer could refuse to pay a claim. Ouch! Be sure you’re insured.

This is for illustrative purposes only. If your circumstances and cover needs differ, your quote may be more or less expensive than the above example.
Learn more about our full methodology here.

£352 million paid out to support homeowners following storms Babet, Ciara and Debi

"According to the Association of British Insurers (ABI), £352 million was paid out to support home insurance customers following storms Babet, Ciara and Debi – which are only three of the six named storms that hit the UK between October and December last year. The full cost of these storms won't be known for several months, but as a result, average premium prices rose 4% over the same period.

At MoneySuperMarket, our own data shows that home insurance prices rose 29% between January 2023 and January 2024*, and although increased instances of extreme weather mean it’s never been more important to insure our homes, it’s also a time when many of us are looking for more ways to save. If you’re coming up for renewal or purchasing your first home, comparing deals from across the market is the only way to ensure you’re getting the lowest price for the cover you need."

David McDermottroe - Home Insurance Expert at MoneySuperMarket

*Based on the annual price of sold home insurance policies in January 2024 vs January 2023.

How can I get cheaper home insurance?

Here are a few things you can do to get cheaper home insurance:

Asking for a higher excess tells insurers that you’re less likely to make small claims, so you get a lower premium. However, be careful not to increase your excess so much that it becomes unaffordable. If an event happens where you needs to claim for multiple incidents, you may need pay your excess more than once, which is something to keep in mind.

Paying for your insurance annually usually works out cheaper than paying monthly, so it’s worth doing if you can afford to.

You can usually get a no-claims discount if you’ve gone several years without making a claim. Avoiding making small or frivolous claims can help you boost your discount and save on your insurance.

Installing locks on your doors. burglar alarms, and fire alarms can sometimes reduce the cost of your home insurance. Enhancing your home security is especially important if you live in a burglary hotspot.

Over-insuring yourself is a common way that people end up over-spending on their insurance. By accurately calculating the rebuild value of your home and the value of its contents you can avoid making this mistake.

You should also take time when renewing your policy to make sure this value hasn't changed. Your home insurance cover won't change with inflation, so you will need to check that your policy still covers what it should.

Comparing quotes online is a great way to find a good deal on your home insurance. Even when it's time to renew your policy, it's worthwhile to double check whether you can get the same cover for cheaper elsewhere.

Optional home insurance extras

Below are some of the common extras you can add to your home insurance policy to get comprehensive cover;

  • Home emergency cover

    Includes extra protection to cover emergency callouts and services, like plumbers or electricians

  • Legal protection

    Covers home-related legal costs, from conveyancing, inheritance and probate, to disputes with neighbours

  • Accidental damage

    Protects your home from accidental mishaps, like broken windows, cracked tiles, or stained carpet

Get the cheapest home insurance deals with our Price Promise

We're so confident that we'll find you the cheapest home insurance deal with MoneySuperMarket, that we're making a price promise to you. If you find the same policy for cheaper elsewhere, not only will we refund the difference, we'll also give you a gift card worth up to £20!4

4 Restrictions and T&Cs apply, click here for details.

Why compare home insurance quotes with MoneySuperMarket?

Whatever cover you’re looking for, the easiest way to find the best policy is by comparing home insurance quotes online. You can compare policies in one simple search on MoneySuperMarket.

  • Trusted

    With 30 years' experience, we're trusted by our customers. We only work with insurance providers authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

  • Save money and earn rewards

    Avoid auto renewing and compare tailored quotes for free to find the cheapest insurance for you. Buy through us and get unlimited access to free days out (on our app) and much more with SuperSaveClub.

  • Compare quotes in minutes

    Fill out one form in minutes to compare quotes from multiple providers. You can also save time in the future by storing your details, allowing you to refresh your quotes in seconds.

What do I need to get a quote?

When you apply for a home insurance quote, insurers will ask you to provide your personal details and any existing policy documents, if applicable.

You will also be asked a number of questions about your house. Here are some things you will need to know:

  • Your home address and property type e.g. flat, terraced, or semi-detached house

  • Number of bedrooms

  • The structure of your home

  • Year the property was built

  • Whether the roof is flat or pitched

  • Details of any security alarms or systems

  • Total rebuild cost and value of the contents within your home

Join the thousands of customers who bought their home insurance through us

Our reviews are from genuine customers who compared and bought their home insurance through MoneySuperMarket.

We're proud to share that our home insurance comparison service is highly rated by our customers.

Based on 38,301 reviews
our customers rate us

Superb and easy to use every time.
Good price and monthly payment for no extra charge
Great price for house insurance.

There are a few factors that will affect the price of your home insurance, including:

  • Location: crime rates, flood risks, number of claims in your area

  • Value and size of your home: most insurers will value the size of your home, as bigger properties will require a larger payout

  • Age of the property: older properties are more of a risk and may be built from materials that are difficult to repair and replace

  • Level of coverage: the more comprehensive your policy is, the more expensive your premiums are likely to be, and add-ons will likely increase your premiums

  • Security: having high quality door and window locks and a burglar alarm could help to improve your home security and result In cheaper premiums

You can cancel your home insurance at any time by contacting your insurer directly. If you're outside of your 14-day 'cooling-off' period, you may need to pay a fee, which is typically £30-50. Find out more about how to cancel your home insurance.

It is often cheaper to by buildings and contents insurance as a combined policy if you want to take out both kinds of cover. A combined policy also has the benefit of being easier to manage. You are required to pay only one set of premiums and have the same provider for both types of cover, meaning fewer documents and contact details to keep track of.

To make a claim on your home insurance, you will need to fill out a claims form with your insurance provider. You should do this as soon as possible once an incident occurs, but there are a few things you'll need to get started:

  • Evidence to support your claim: 

    Any damage to your property needs to be documented. If the event is related to a crime, you'll also need a crime reference number from the police.

  • Your policy number: 

    This can be found in your policy documents, so it is wise to keep them safe. These days, most policy documents are sent to you digitally or available through your provider's online portal, but it’s worthwhile save some copies just in case.

  • Your provider contact details:

    In your policy documents you'll also find the contact details of your provider when you want to make a claim. They will typically have a helpline phone number for you to call but many insurance providers now have an online claims process you can access through their website or portal.

For a more in-depth look at making a claim, you can read our guide ‘How to make a claim on your home insurance’.

To calculate how much cover you need from your home insurance policy, you’ll need to account for:

  • How much it would cost to rebuild your property from the ground up

  • The total value of your home’s contents, and how much it would cost to replace every items

If you’re a tenant you’ll only need to take out a renters insurance policy, which will let you cover your personal belongings.

Your landlord should have their own buildings insurance, which you may be required to pay for as part of your tenancy agreement.

Yes, your credit score can affect the price you pay for home insurance, especially if you want to pay monthly rather than in a lump sum for the year. Insurance companies look at your credit history to know how much of a risk they’re taking with you and to come up with the appropriate rates. If you have a low credit score, you may end up paying more for your home insurance.

Different policies offer different cover but often you have to pay extra to cover possessions that you take out of the home, like jewellery or gadgets. Optional personal possessions cover protects belongings worth less than £1,000 against loss, damage, or theft when you take them out and about.

Calculating the rebuild cost of your home is a necessary part of getting a home insurance quote.

The rebuild cost is the amount of money required to reconstruct your home from the foundations up, including labour and materials, if for example your property was damaged or destroyed in a fire or flood.

Typically, the rebuild build cost is lower than the market value or sale price of your home, as it doesn’t include the value of the land your home is built on.

A chartered surveyor can help you calculate the cost or you can use this online calculator.

Find out more about how to calculate the rebuild cost of your home.

If you're having any major building work done on your house, such as loft conversion or extension, you will need to let your house insurance provider know. Structural changes bring increased risks, with builders coming into and out of your home, building materials on site, and potentially parts of the property exposed to the elements. Your home insurance is also likely to go up if the work increases the cost of rebuilding your home. If you don’t tell your insurer your home is undergoing renovation, you may find that your policy is invalid in the event of a claim.

Some home insurance policies will cover water leaks, while others won’t. And even policies that include cover may exclude some elements of a claim related to a leak. You might not be covered for example if the leak is due to lack of maintenance, such as missing sealant or grout, or if you caused the leak and don’t have accidental damage cover. It's important to read the terms of your policy before you buy to ensure you know what you’re covered for.

A home with a history of subsidence is likely to be a lot more expensive to insure and you may find that insurers are hesitant to cover you at all.

Home insurance typically covers unoccupied property, for up to 60 days – and if anything happens outside this period you won’t be covered. An unoccupied home insurance policy covers you when your home is empty for longer than your standard policy will allow.

Home insurance is generally still available even if you live in an area with a high risk of flooding, thanks to the government-backed Flood Re reinsurance scheme. The Flood Re scheme applies to properties built before 2009, so if you're not sure when you property was built, it's worth checking.

You work hard to earn your money, and we don’t think you should waste a penny of it paying over the odds on your household bills. That’s why at MoneySuperMarket, we’re on a mission to save Britain money.

  • Whip your credit score into shape with Credit Monitor

  • Super save over and over again with Energy Monitor

  • There are always more ways to save with MoneySuperMarket 

So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy something, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from.

You might be wondering if we work with all the companies in the market, or if our commercial relationships with our partners might make us feature one company above another. We’ve got nothing to hide, and we want to give you clear answers when it comes to questions like these, so we’ve pulled together everything you need to know on this page.

We aim to show you home insurance quotes from as many insurance companies as possible, so that you can find the right policy for you.

Unfortunately, we can’t promise to show quotes from every insurance provider, because not all companies want to be included on comparison websites.

We won’t offer you advice or make a recommendation, but we will provide you with all the information you need to help you decide which is the right policy for you.

You can find out more about how we work here.

Find the home insurance that's right for you