Home insurance

Save up to £105* and take one small step towards Money Calm

Why buy home insurance from us?

  • Get a quote in less than five minutes

  • See prices from over 55 brands

  • Save up to £105*

Enter your postcode to get started

Please enter a valid postcode. Your postcode was not found, please check the details and try again. Oops! There was a problem processing your input.

A home insurance policy can protect your home and your belongings in the event that they’re damaged or stolen. As an example, having home insurance in place can help pay for damage caused to your property by fire or a flood, or for replacing items that are stolen should you be burgled.

Home insurance isn’t a legal requirement in the same way car insurance is if you want to drive on UK roads. However in some cases you may be required to take out cover – for example, if you’re taking out a mortgage on a property the lender will probably insist you take out home insurance before loaning you the money.

If you’re a tenant, you’ll only need to cover your belongings – the building itself should be covered by your landlord.

Home insurance is two separate products: buildings insurance and contents insurance. You can take each out separately or buy both from the same provider in a combined home insurance policy.

What is buildings insurance?

Buildings insurance covers the physical structure of your property – essentially the bricks and mortar of the building, and any permanent fittings or fixtures.

What is contents insurance?

Contents insurance covers the items in your home if they’re damaged or stolen – and some policies also cover your contents while you’re away from home.

What is combined home insurance?

You could take out your buildings and contents insurance with the same provider to reduce the hassle, but you should always compare quotes to ensure you’re getting the best deal.

The average annual cost of home insurance policy is:







*51% of customers achieved a home insurance quote based on the figures above, or cheaper. MoneySuperMarket data, August 2020.

Your home insurance premiums can be influenced by a number of factors, including:

  • The size and type of property 
  • The number of occupants
  • The location of the property
  • The security you have, including door and window locks, and burglar alarms
  • The cost to totally rebuild your home
  • The cost of replacing all your possessions
  • Whether or not you have any items worth over £1,000
  • Any extra features you add to your policy


Shop around

Get quotes from several insurers – we work with over 55 companies to help you find the best deal


Build your no claims discount

You can usually get a no-claims discount if you’ve gone several years without a claim


Pay annually

Paying for your insurance in an annual lump sum works out cheaper than paying monthly


Pay more excess

Asking for a higher excess implies you’re less likely to claim, so you get a lower premium

We’re here to help you protect the things that matter most


Legal protection

This covers you for almost any legal expense that results from owning a home, from conveyancing, inheritance and probate, to disputes with neighbours or tradespeople


Home emergency

Home insurance protects you against flooding and fire, but an emergency add-on includes callouts or replacement parts if the plumbing or heating breaks down, or if you snap your key off in your lock



Standard contents insurance will protect your possessions inside your home, but not always when you’re out and about with your laptop or mobile phone. ‘Away-from-home’ covers damage, theft and loss



If you’re a serious cyclist, your bike is your pride and joy. This add-on will protect it from theft when you’ve locked it up somewhere sensible, or for repairs if you have an accident


Accidental damage

Accidents do happen, but they’re not always covered. Accidental damage protects your possessions from everyday mishaps, and will also help out if you make a costly DIY error or break a window



Gardens aren’t always covered under standard home insurance, especially larger spaces. Some insurers will offer to cover any of the following: garden furniture, sheds and outbuildings, garages, and boundaries 

We’re here to help you protect the things that matter most

It doesn’t take long

We’ll search for savings

Get the right cover

Finding affordable home insurance quotes is easier when you compare your options with MoneySuperMarket – just have the following information to hand:


Details about your home

The type of property it is, the number of rooms and when it was built, the type of roof it has, and if there are any trees nearby


Information on its occupants

How many people live in the property and when they're usually at home, and if anyone is a smoker


The rebuild cost of your home

The cost of rebuilding your home from scratch if it were destroyed


The value of your home’s contents

The estimated cost of replacing your contents if they were destroyed


Security information

Whether you’ve got a burglar alarm, and which types of window and door locks you have

Which home insurance brands do we work with? 

We compare over 55 of the biggest insurance providers in the country, including:

See more providers

We're 100% independent, working only for our customers

Unlike some of our competitors, MoneySuperMarket is not owned by an insurance company. So we can offer the best value, with savings delivered straight to you.

We combine independence, so we can negotiate the best prices, with excellent technology, to find the best value products and services.


of our customers would buy again

Based on 28104 reviews


Improve your home security

Make your home more secure with a burglar alarm, secure door and window looks, and a safe – especially if you live in a burglary hotspot


Avoid leaving your home empty

Unoccupied homes are at a higher risk of being burgled or damaged by fire or escaped water


Insulate your pipes

Insulating your pipes reduces the risk of damage when they freeze and thaw in cold weather


Install a smoke alarm

Fitting smoke alarms around your home can also lower your insurance premiums

Standard home insurance might not be the right option for everyone – you may require a specialised home insurance policy for:

How does Coronavirus affect my home insurance?

Coronavirus has meant we’ve been spending more time at home than ever, but it’s unlikely that this has had an effect on your home insurance policy. Find out more from our home insurance and coronavirus guide.

What is included in my home insurance cover?

Home insurance protects your property’s structure and contents against loss, theft or damage caused by flooding, fire, storms, subsidence and escaped water. This means you’ll be able to claim repair or replacement costs for most of the following, depending on your policy.

  • Furniture, such as sofas, chairs, tables, beds and wardrobes
  • Gadgets, such as mobile phones, tablets, cameras and games consoles
  • Refrigerated or frozen food that spoils if your fridge or freezer stops working
  • Homeware, including kettles toasters, microwaves, pots and pans
  • Vinyl records, CDs, DVDs, games and books
  • Garden contents, like tools, plants, fencing, sheds, pipes, cables and drains
  • Broken windows, doors or locks as a result of theft or vandalism
  • The cost of rebuilding your home

Do I need home insurance?

You aren’t required by law to have either buildings or contents insurance, but it’s always useful to have protection in case something unexpected happens. If you have a mortgage, your lender should insist that you take out buildings insurance for the whole mortgage term – but you can find it from other sources too, including price comparison websites such as MoneySuperMarket.

How much cover do I need?

To calculate how much cover you need from your home insurance policy, you’ll need to account for:

  • How much it would cost to rebuild your property from the ground up
  • The total value of your home’s contents, and how much it would cost to replace every item

What home insurance do I need if I’m renting?

If you’re a tenant you’ll only need to take out a renters insurance policy – this will let you cover your personal belongings. Your landlord should have their own buildings cover in place, and while they may also have a contents policy this will only apply to items they’ve supplied for the property, such as furniture.

Can I get home insurance if I live in a flood-risk area?

Putting your life insurance policy in trust lets you name the people you want to receive your life insurance payout (your trustees).

There are different types of trusts available depending on your individual or family circumstances.

Putting your life insurance policy in trust also protects the payout from inheritance tax. 

What home insurance do I need for a listed building?

Listed buildings are properties of historical or architectural significance, and you’ll often need to take out a specialised listed building policy as many insurers don’t offer standard cover for these buildings.

What home insurance do I need for a non-standard property?

Likewise unusual properties, such as buildings made from non-standard materials, also aren’t usually covered by standard policies – so you’ll need to take out specialised cover.

Does my credit score affect home insurance?

Yes, your credit score can affect the price you pay for home insurance. Insurance companies look at your credit history to know how much of a risk they’re taking with you and to come up with the appropriate rates.

Are valuables only protected inside the home?

When we’re at home, our personal possessions are normally protected by home contents insurance but this doesn’t usually cover them when you’re out of the house. Different policies offer different cover but often you have to pay extra to cover possessions that you take out of the home, like jewellery or gadgets, for example. A personal possessions insurance policy covers your personal belongings against loss, damage, or theft when you take them outside your home.

How do I estimate the rebuild cost of my house?

Calculating the rebuild cost of your home is a necessary part of getting a home insurance quote. The rebuild cost is the amount of money required to reconstruct your home from the foundations up, if for example your property was damaged or destroyed in a fire or flood. A chartered surveyor can help you calculate the cost, or alternatively you could search for a rebuild calculator online.

Can I get insurance if my home is undergoing building work?

If you're having any major building work done on your house, you will need to let your house insurance provider know. If you don’t tell your insurer your home is undergoing renovation, you may find that your policy is invalid in the event of a claim.

Is a leak covered by home insurance?

Some home insurance policies will cover water leaks, while others won’t. And even policies that include cover may exclude some elements of a claim related to a leak. It's important to read the terms of your policy before you buy to ensure you know what you’re covered for.

Can I get home insurance if my property has subsidence?

Some home insurance policies will cover water leaks, while others won’t. And even policies that include cover may exclude some elements of a claim related to a leak. It's important to read the terms of your policy before you buy to ensure you know what you’re covered for.

Can I insure an unoccupied property?

Home insurance typically covers unoccupied property, for up to 60 days – and if anything happens outside this period you won’t be covered. An unoccupied home insurance policy covers you when your home is empty for longer than your standard policy will allow.

Get Money Calm

MoneySuperMarket gives you lots of clever ways to save a lot, by doing very little.

  • Take control of your credit score by checking and improving it for free with Credit Monitor 
  • Never overpay again with Energy Monitor, our energy monitoring service 
  • Over 50 ways to Get Money Calm

So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy a product, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from.

But you might have other questions. Do we provide access to all the companies operating in a given market? Do we have commercial relationships or ownership ties that might make us feature one company above another?

We commit to providing you with clear and informative answers on all points such as this, so we have gathered the relevant information on this page.

Level of service

We aim to show you home insurance quotes from as many insurance companies as possible, so that you can find the right policy for you.

Unfortunately, we can’t promise to show quotes from every insurance provider, because not all companies want to be included on comparison websites.

We won’t offer you advice or make a recommendation, but we will provide you with all the information you need to help you decide which is the right policy for you.

You can find out more about how we work here.