Home insurance

Save up to £105* and take one small step towards Money Calm

Why buy home insurance from us?

  • Get a quote in less than five minutes

  • See prices from over 55 brands

  • Save up to £105*

Enter your postcode to get started

Please enter a valid postcode. Your postcode was not found, please check the details and try again. Oops! There was a problem processing your input.

Which home insurance brands do we work with? 

We compare over 55 of the biggest insurance providers in the country, including:

See more providers

How to compare home insurance quotes

We’re here to help you protect the things that matter most

It doesn’t take long

We’ll search for savings

Get the right cover

We're 100% independent, working only for our customers

Unlike some of our competitors, MoneySuperMarket is not owned by an insurance company. So we can offer the best value, with savings delivered straight to you.

We combine independence, so we can negotiate the best prices, with excellent technology, to find the best value products and services for you.

How much does home insurance cost?


£112 per year*

Buildings insurance covers damage to the structure of your home and permanent fixtures such as bathroom suites and fitted kitchens 


£65 per year*

Contents insurance protects your possessions and belongings, and usually includes furniture, mobile phones, laptops and clothing


£146 per year*

Combined home insurance offers cover for both buildings and contents - and can be cheaper than two separate policies

How to get a cheaper insurance quote

Car registration number illustration

Shop around

Get quotes from several insurers – we work with over 55 companies to help you find the best deal

Car registration number illustration

Build your no claims discount

You can usually get a no-claims discount if you’ve gone several years without a claim

Car registration number illustration

Pay annually

Paying for your insurance in an annual lump sum works out cheaper than paying monthly

Car registration number illustration

Pay more excess

Asking for a higher excess implies you’re less likely to claim, so you get a lower premium

Tips for even cheaper home insurance

Improve your home security

Make your home more secure with a burglar alarm, secure door and window looks, and a safe – especially if you live in a burglary hotspot

Avoid leaving your home empty

Unoccupied homes are at a higher risk of being burgled or damaged by fire or escaped water

Insulate your pipes

Insulating your pipes reduces the risk of damage when they freeze and thaw in cold weather

Install a smoke alarm

Fitting smoke alarms around your home can also lower your insurance premiums

What do you need to get a quote?

Finding affordable home insurance quotes is easier when you compare your options with MoneySuperMarket – just have the following information to hand:


Details about your home

The type of property, the number of rooms and when it was built


Information on its occupants

How many people live in the property and when they're usually at home


Information about your home’s security

Whether you’ve got a burglar alarm and window and door locks


The rebuild cost of your home

The cost of rebuilding your home from scratch if it were destroyed


The value of your home’s contents

The estimated cost of replacing your contents if they were destroyed

What are home insurance add-ons?

Insurers offer optional extras, or ‘add-ons’, for those who want to pay for that little bit more protection. They include: 


Legal protection

This covers you for almost any legal expense that results from owning a home, from conveyancing, inheritance and probate, to disputes with neighbours or tradespeople


Home emergency

Home insurance protects you against flooding and fire, but an emergency add-on includes callouts or replacement parts if the plumbing or heating breaks down, or if you snap your key off in your lock



Standard contents insurance will protect your possessions inside your home, but not always when you’re out and about with your laptop or mobile phone. ‘Away-from-home’ covers damage, theft and loss



If you’re a serious cyclist, your bike is your pride and joy. This add-on will protect it from theft when you’ve locked it up somewhere sensible, or for repairs if you have an accident


Accidental damage

Accidents do happen, but they’re not always covered. Accidental damage protects your possessions from everyday mishaps, and will also help out if you make a costly DIY error or break a window



Gardens aren’t always covered under standard home insurance, especially larger spaces. Some insurers will offer to cover any of the following: garden furniture, sheds and outbuildings, garages, and boundaries 

What does my home insurance cover?

Home insurance protects your property’s structure and contents against loss, theft or damage caused by flooding, fire, storms, subsidence and escaped water. This means you’ll be able to claim repair or replacement costs for most of the following, depending on your policy.

  • Furniture, such as sofas, chairs, tables, beds and wardrobes
  • Gadgets, such as mobile phones, tablets, cameras and games consoles
  • Refrigerated or frozen food that spoils if your fridge or freezer stops working
  • Homeware, including kettles toasters, microwaves, pots and pans
  • Vinyl records, CDs, DVDs, games and books
  • Garden contents, like tools, plants, fencing, sheds, pipes, cables and drains
  • Broken windows, doors or locks as a result of theft or vandalism
  • The cost of rebuilding your home

Do I need home insurance?

You aren’t required by law to have either buildings or contents insurance, but it’s always useful to have protection in case something unexpected happens. If you have a mortgage, your lender might insist you take out buildings insurance for the whole mortgage term – but you can find this from other sources too, including price comparison websites such as MoneySuperMarket.

How much cover do I need?

To calculate how much cover you need from your home insurance policy, you’ll need to account for:

  • How much it would cost to rebuild your property from the ground up
  • The total value of your home’s contents, and how much it would cost to replace every item

What extras can I add to my home insurance policy?

Home insurance can come with a range of extra policies, including:

  • Accidental damage: Accidental damage policies cover you against damage resulting from an unintentional one-off accident
  • Legal cover: Legal cover as part of home insurance protects you against any legal costs you might face due to property disputes, personal injury or negligence
  • Home emergency: Home emergency insurance pays out in the event that your home becomes uninhabitable – for example if your boiler breaks down or your power goes out
  • Away-from-home cover: Away-from-home cover insures your contents when you take them out and about
  • Jewellery cover: Jewellery cover is one of several policies you can take out to protect expensive items in your home that might not be covered as standard


What home insurance do I need if I’m renting?

If you’re a tenant you’ll only need to take out a renters insurance policy – this will let you cover your personal belongings. Your landlord should have their own buildings cover in place, and while they may also have a contents policy this will only apply to items they’ve supplied for the property, such as furniture.

Can I get home insurance if I live in a flood-risk area?

It can be difficult to find cover for homes at risk of flooding, and at the very least your premiums are likely to be higher. However a scheme called Flood Re, put together by the government and the insurance industry, is making it easier for people in flood-risk areas to find affordable cover.

What home insurance do I need for a listed building?

Listed buildings are properties of historical or architectural significance, and you’ll often need to take out a specialised listed building policy as many insurers don’t offer standard cover for these buildings.

What home insurance do I need for a non-standard property?

Likewise unusual properties, such as buildings made from non-standard materials, also aren’t usually covered by standard policies – so you’ll need to take out specialised cover.

Get Money Calm

MoneySuperMarket gives you lots of clever ways to save a lot, by doing very little.

  • Take control of your credit score by checking and improving it for free with Credit Monitor 
  • Never overpay again with Energy Monitor, our energy monitoring service 
  • Over 50 ways to Get Money Calm

So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy a product, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from.

But you might have other questions. Do we provide access to all the companies operating in a given market? Do we have commercial relationships or ownership ties that might make us feature one company above another?

We commit to providing you with clear and informative answers on all points such as this, so we have gathered the relevant information on this page.

Level of service

We aim to show you home insurance quotes from as many insurance companies as possible, so that you can find the right policy for you.

Unfortunately, we can’t promise to show quotes from every insurance provider, because not all companies want to be included on comparison websites.

We won’t offer you advice or make a recommendation, but we will provide you with all the information you need to help you decide which is the right policy for you.

You can find out more about how we work here.