Skip to content

Four Bedroom Home Insurance

Compare home insurance for a four-bedroom house

  • Compare cheap home insurance quotes


Compare cheap contents insurance from over 55 providers

We’re committed to finding the right cover for you and your home. 
That’s why we compare over 55 of the biggest insurance providers in the country, including:

company logo for lv-v1company logo for churchill-110-2company logo for Halifax-110-newcompany logo for Admiral-july-mincompany logo for tesco-bank-v2company logo for policy-expert-110company logo for privilege-110

Do I need buildings insurance for a four-bedroom house or flat?

Whether you are a homeowner or a tenant, home insurance is essential if you value your house and the possessions in it. Buildings insurance covers the cost of repairing or even rebuilding the structure of the house. This includes the walls and the roof as well as the permanent fixtures such as the bathroom suite and the kitchen units.

This insurance is usually taken out by homeowners, although it is not always compulsory. However, if your home is mortgaged then your lender will insist on it to ensure they can cover their losses should the building be badly damaged. The damage you are covered for must have been caused by an event which was beyond your control, such as extreme weather conditions, fire or subsidence.

Does having four bedrooms affect my contents insurance?

Contents insurance covers all your personal belongings in your house, from your furniture to electrical appliances, clothes, jewellery and even children's toys. Contents insurance can cover you for flooding and fire as well as vandalism and theft.

Contents insurance for a four-bedroom house will likely cost more than in a smaller house.

house illustration

What type of policies are available

There are three options when it comes to protecting your belongings:

  • Sum-insured policy

    You decide how much cover you need for your contents buy calculating the replacement value of your contents

  • Unlimited sum-insured policy

    You don’t have to worry about being underinsured because cover is unlimited but the premiums are likely to be high

  • Bedroom-rated policy

    This is where the insurance provider works out the contents cover based on the number of bedrooms you have, based on average figures

What do I need to get a quote?

To get a four-bedroom home insurance quote with us, it’s a good idea to have some basic information to hand, including:

  • Tick

    Your current home insurance policy documents

  • Tick

    Details about your property

  • Tick

    Your homes rebuild value

  • Tick

    Level of cover you need

Why compare home insurance quotes with MoneySuperMarket?

We’re here to help you protect the things that matter most

  • It doesn’t take long

    Pop in some details about your home and your belongings, and compare quotes in just a few minutes

  • We do the leg work

    We’ll search the market for the cheapest deals, and help you choose the cover that suits your needs

  • Get the right cover

    We’ll show you claims experience for policies, to help you choose the right home insurance policy for you

Any room that is used or was originally built to be a bedroom is counted as a bedroom. That means if you have four bedrooms but have turned one of them into an office, it would still count as a four-bedroom house, not a three-bed.

There’s no legal requirement to recognise a bedroom but typically, a bedroom must be able to fit a single bed and have a window. It is however down to the individual insurance provider to say what they consider a bedroom to be.

You’ll need to check exactly what your insurance provider defines as a bedroom in your policy. Make sure you give the right information, otherwise your policy might not pay out if you need to make a claim.

The best way to assess how much your possessions are worth is to make a list of all the items in every room of your house and their cost (you may have receipts to prove their actual value or you could research it online). After you have done this, you could take digital photographs of the contents of your home. 

Some of your belongings are more valuable than others and most insurance policies will allow you to claim up to £1500 for a single item. But if you have items which are higher in value, such as a piece of jewellery or a piece of furniture, then these need to be listed individually. 

If you acquire any more high-value items make sure to let your insurer know and update your policy accordingly or they won't be covered.

When looking for buildings and/or contents insurance for your three-bedroom home, it's important to realise that all policies are different. Varying degrees of cover will be offered, so it’s important to shop around to get the best deal for you.

While it can be tempting to go for the cheapest policy, be aware that this could be a false economy and you may end up having to shell out if you don't have comprehensive cover.

Here are some top tips for making sure you get the best deal.

  • Opting for a higher excess can bring down the cost of your premium. Just make sure this is sensible and that you would be able to afford it if you had to put in a claim

  • Make sure your home is properly secured with a burglar alarm and approved locks. It can also help if you join a neighbourhood watch scheme

  • Paying for your insurance annually rather than monthly will be cheaper. It also means you get it out of the way for the year

  • Build up a no-claims discount. Insurers usually reward people who have not made any claims in the past with a cheaper policy premium 

You work hard to earn your money, and we don’t think you should waste a penny of it paying over the odds on your household bills. That’s why at MoneySuperMarket, we’re on a mission to save Britain money.

  • Whip your credit score into shape with Credit Monitor

  • Super save over and over again with Energy Monitor

  • There are always more ways to save with MoneySuperMarket 

So how do we make our money? In a nutshell, when you use us to buy something, we get a reward from the company you’re buying from.

You might be wondering if we work with all the companies in the market, or if our commercial relationships with our partners might make us feature one company above another. We’ve got nothing to hide, and we want to give you clear answers when it comes to questions like these, so we’ve pulled together everything you need to know on this page.

We aim to show you home insurance quotes from as many insurance companies as possible, so that you can find the right policy for you.

Unfortunately, we can’t promise to show quotes from every insurance provider, because not all companies want to be included on comparison websites.

We won’t offer you advice or make a recommendation, but we will provide you with all the information you need to help you decide which is the right policy for you.

You can find out more about how we work here.