Compare current accounts with benefits - Ordered by account fee
Account opening criteria
High Interest, Package, Reward & Standard current accounts
- You must be 18 years of age or older
- You must not have been declared Bankrupt or have registered for an Individual Voluntary Agreement within the last six years or be in the process of doing so (Does not apply to M&S Bank)
- You are a UK resident
- You’re aged 18 years or over
- You’ve been accepted onto a full-time UCAS course at a UK institution for at least 2 years
- You don’t already have a student account with another Banking institution
- You must be aged between 11 and 18 years old
- You must be living permanently in the UK
- You must be aged 18 or over to apply
- You must have a residential address in the UK
Before applying, please always check each banks specific opening criteria on their website.
This is based on a scoring system we developed using data from MoneySavingExpert’s twice-yearly Current Account customer service polls.
An easy switching process
We guarantee a smooth switch.
All you need to do is:
A smooth switch for you
The Current Account Switch Service makes switching your current account simple, reliable and stress-free. Over 4 million current accounts have been switched so far.
The Current Account Switch Guarantee means that your new bank takes care of closing your old account, moving your balance and switching your payments.
So you don't need to worry.
Start using your new account
On your agreed switch date your new account will be ready to use and your old account will be closed. Your new bank will have transferred all of your regular incoming payments (such as your salary or benefits) and outgoing payments (such as Direct Debits, standing orders, future dated payments and bill payments) to your new account, along with any remaining credit balance. Your saved Payee details will also be transferred over.
Note: future dated payments set up within 7 working days of your switch date cannot be transferred across to your new account.
Need to knows
- 1. Check you're able to switch
The Current Account Switch Service covers 99% of UK current accounts. The process is the same everywhere so you can feel confident when you switch, no matter which participating bank or building society you choose.
- HOWEVER YOU CAN'T SWITCH WITH:
- A joint account without the permission of both parties
- Saving accounts
- Non-sterling payment accounts.
- 2. Check you're eligible
Common eligibility examples include having a minimum number of Direct Debits, and a set amount entering the account each month. You'll also need to agree any overdraft facilities you require with them before initiating the switch (subject to eligibility status).
Just in case if anything has gone wrong
In the unlikely event that anything goes wrong, your new bank or building society guarantees to refund any interest and charges you incur as a result of a delayed or incorrect switch. It's all part of the Current Account Switch Guarantee.
Access to M&S's Monthly Saver account at 2.75% AER/gross interest, fixed for 12 months
Travel, mobile and breakdown cover + commission-free cash withdrawals and card payments abroad