Driverless car technology has advanced rapidly in recent years, and most major car manufacturers are working on their own versions. In the US, Google is deep into road trials of its autonomous vehicles, and Apple is rumoured to be thinking of joining the fray.
Questions to be addressedBut an innovation as revolutionary as driverless cars begs many questions:
- who is responsible for the vehicle?
- who is liable in the event of an accident?
- what happens if the car’s computers are hacked?
- can a driverless car operate with no-one in it?
- can you use an autonomous car if you are blind or partially sighted, or otherwise physically impaired?
- what about when you’re over the alcohol limit?